[MyAppleMenu] Oct 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 17 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Launch Center Pro 2 Review: iOS Utility Automates Everyday App Actions ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2054437/launch-center-pro-2-review-ios-utility-automates-everyday-app-actions.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> With a little discipline, it can have a pretty significant impact on anybody’s productivity, regardless of how technically savvy they may be. Besides, even if you are not the type of person who likes to customize every last aspect of your mobile device, being able to access a wide range of functionality from one interface can speed up everything from calling up the office to visiting your favorite websites. And it’s all from the comfort of a single app.

*** Apple Slightly Increases Prices Of iPhone 5S And iPhone 5C In France ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/17/apple-slightly-increases-prices-of-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-in-france-slightly/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** SoundSoap 3 For Mac OS X Scrubbed To Version 3 ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/10/17/soundsoap-3-for-mac-os-x-scrubbed-to-version-3/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> Soundness has launched version 3 of their SoundSoap audio noise reduction software. The upgrade sports a new user interface and 64-bit compatibility.

*** Review: Boxie For iPhone Makes Dropbox Management Even Easier ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/16/review-boxie-for-iphone-makes-dropbox-management-even-easier/>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

> Boxie certainly makes Dropbox pretty, as the app’s tagline claims, but it has a lot of added features and benefits that are not available in the Dropbox app and make Boxie a more efficient tool to use.

*** Apple’s New Environmental Chief Lisa Jackson To Grow Apple’s Energy Efficiency, Clean Power ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/10/16/apples-new-environmental-chief-lisa-jackson-to-grow-apples-energy-efficiency-clean-power/>
Ucilia Wang, GigaOM

*** Reveal Goes 1.0, Lets Developers Explode Their Apps, Find Bugs Faster ***
<http://www.imore.com/itty-bitty-apps-releases-reveal-10>
Nick Arnott, iMore

> Reveal offers developers the ability to see their applications' view hierarchy in an exploded 3D model. This allows a unique look at how elements in an app are being laid out and rendered, and can make it much quicker to spot the cause of bugs. Reveal also gives the ability to make minor tweaks to an application while running so you can test out small changes without needing to recompile.

*** Judge Appoints Monitor To Keep An Eye On Apple's E-books Biz ***
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57607849-37/judge-appoints-monitor-to-keep-an-eye-on-apples-e-books-biz/>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

*** How To Recalibrate The Motion Sensors In Your iPhone 5S ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055384/how-to-recalibrate-the-motion-sensors-in-your-iphone-5s.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** Weather Line Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/weather-line-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> I see Weather Line as a combination of a casual weather app for the average user like me and a more advanced solution for the data nerd who wants to know numbers and other weather stats. By sitting somewhere in the middle of these two categories, Weather Line can appeal to both kinds of users thanks to its simple but effective design that uses a line to contextualize forecasts.

*** iOS 7 User-Experience Appraisal ***
<http://www.nngroup.com/articles/ios-7/>
Raluca Budiu, Nielsen Norman Group

> Apple ignored some of the hurdles that Microsoft experienced with flat design and swipe ambiguity in Windows 8. We still have to see whether Apple’s strong design guidelines will protect most app designers from not getting lost in the flat 2D world. Early experience with applications redesigned for iOS 7 is fairly negative: several have worse usability than their iOS 6 versions.

*** How iOS 7’S Newsstand Hurts Publishers ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14190>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> Apple made Newsstand the preferred and sensible destination for periodicals when it was launched. It is much less so in iOS 7, and the current experience is worse both for readers trying to find publications to which they subscribe and for publications trying to keep and serve their subscribers.

*** Comic Life 3 Adds New Filters And More ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/16/comic-life-3-adds-new-filters-and-more/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Oyster's Subscription E-book Service For iPad Open To All ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/16/oysters-subscription-e-book-service-for-ipad-open-to-all/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Oyster has a fascinating proposition for avid readers -- unlimited e-books for one low subscription rate of US$9.95.

*** The Octopus That Almost Ate Seattle ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/magazine/the-octopus-that-almost-ate-seattle.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Marnie Hanel, New York Times

> Under the dark water, the teenagers looked around with the help of a diving light. At 45 feet, they passed a sunken ship, the Honey Bear, and at 85 feet, beneath the buoy line, they saw further evidence of the former marina — steel beams, pilings and sunken watercrafts. Marine life thrived in this haven of junk, and for this reason, Cove 2 was a popular dive site. According to the permit he had just purchased at Walmart, Mayer was allowed to catch this sea life and cook it, which is exactly what he set out to do. He wasn’t much of a chef, but he had experience foraging for his dinner. Mayer had attended a high school known for its Future Farmers of America program; he also knew how to slaughter cows and castrate bulls. Now he was going to community college, where he was asked to draw something from nature. He figured that he might as well eat it too. And as he scanned the bay, he could already imagine searing the marine morsels on high heat and popping them, rare and unctuous, into his mouth. He soon spotted his prey. “That’s a big [expletive] octopus,” he scribbled on his underwater slate.

*** Life On Ships That Make World Go Round ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/books/ninety-percent-of-everything-by-rose-george.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> In part, “Ninety Percent of Everything” is an adventure story. Ms. George — she is a vegetarian teetotaler with little experience of the sea — is permitted to catch a ride on a giant container ship, the Maersk Kendal. She resembles a cat that has sneaked aboard the Starship Enterprise. The ship carries her from the “southern English port of Felixstowe to Singapore, for five weeks and 9,288 nautical miles through the pillars of Hercules, pirate waters, and weather.”

*** Why Our Future Depends On Libraries, Reading And Daydreaming ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/15/neil-gaiman-future-libraries-reading-daydreaming>
Neil Gaiman, The Guardian