[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 16 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Jonathan Franzen’s Worst Nightmare ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/10/autographed_e_books_apple_is_interested_but_what_does_it_mean.html>
Ariel Bogle, Slate

> Apple’s exploring ways to autograph e-books. What does that even mean?

*** Olloclip Launches 4-In-1 Lens For iPhone, Better Optics And More Macro ***
<http://www.imore.com/olloclip-launches-4-1-lens-iphone-better-optics-and-more-macro>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Ireland Is To Close A Tax Loophole Used By Apple ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24542794>
BBC

> But firms would be able to nominate any country as their tax residence.

> That includes countries such as Bermuda which offer zero tax rates.

> Because of that, tax experts say that the change announced on Tuesday will not make much difference to the amount of tax paid by Apple.

*** Cupertino Council Clears Huge Apple 'Spaceship' Campus For Liftoff ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_24319747/cupertino-council-clears-huge-apple-spaceship-campus-liftoff>
Patrick May, San Jose Mercury News

> Apple's proposed new spaceship-shaped headquarters got a super-charged blast-off Tuesday night when the Cupertino City Council voted unanimously to approve the 2.8-million-square-foot behemoth beside Interstate 280, fulfilling a dream of co-founder Steve Jobs, hatching an iconic landmark for Silicon Valley, and promising more congestion in an already traffic-challenged region for decades to come.

*** Bluefire Reader 2.0 Features iOS 7 Redesign, Reading Location Sync And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/bluefire-reader-2-0-features-ios-7-redesign-reading-location-sync-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Weekly Mac App: CopyClip Is A No-frills Clipboard Manager ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/15/weekly-mac-app-copyclip-is-a-no-frills-clipboard-manager/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> It does what it advertises -- keeping a log of your most recent copied items and saving them for you to reuse. Because it requires a few steps to access your list of copied items, CopyClip is not for the power productivity user. It is perfect for the user who occasionally needs to access their copied items.

*** Twitter Updates TweetDeck For Mac ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/15/twitter-updates-tweetdeck-for-mac/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The new features in TweetDeck 3.3.3 offer some significant improvements that power-users of the app have been asking for for some time. They revolve around the apps ability to Tweet, send DMs, and preview images.

*** Terminology 3 Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/terminology-3-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Less popular than Drafts but equally impressive in terms of functionality and inter-app communication, Greg Pierce’s Terminology, a dictionary and thesaurus app for iOS, is relaunching today for iOS 7 with a new Universal app that adds sync, configurable actions, and a redesign that matches iOS’ new general aesthetic. I have been testing Terminology 3 for the past few months, and this new version holds up to expectations by honoring Terminology’s tradition of simplicity and bringing powerful new features.

*** Apple Asks Developers To Begin Submitting Apps For OS X Mavericks Ahead Of October 22 Event ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/15/apple-asks-developers-to-begin-submitting-apps-for-os-x-mavericks-ahead-of-october-22-event/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple Releases New Java Update, Uninstalls Apple-provided Java Applet Plug-ins ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/15/apple-releases-new-java-update-uninstalls-apple-provided-java-applet-plug-ins/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Tim Cook Talks Hiring Of Angela Ahrendts As Retail Chief, Says She Is ‘Best Person In The World For This Role’ ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/15/tim-cook-talks-hiring-of-angela-ahrendts-as-retail-chief-says-she-is-best-person-in-the-world-for-this-role/>
Mark Gruman, 9 To 5 Mac

> This is the first time in which the Retail Head’s domain covered both offline and online sales.

> Tim Cook says that he long wanted to make the Retail Head role cover both areas of sales, but he has not been confident enough to allow this to happen until he met Ahrendts.

*** Apple Announces October 22 Event: “We Still Have A Lot To Cover” ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131015/apple-announces-october-22-event/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Apple this morning distributed invitations to a special event at which it is expected to unveil the next iterations of the iPad and iPad mini.

*** Book Review: ‘The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos And The Age Of Amazon,’ By Brad Stone ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-the-everything-store-jeff-bezos-and-the-age-of-amazon-by-brad-stone/2013/10/15/185c6c3e-34cc-11e3-be86-6aeaa439845b_story.html>
Bethany McLean, Washington Post

> “Explosive.” That’s how the cover of Bloomberg BusinessWeek bills “The Everything Store” by journalist Brad Stone. That’s an overstatement — but the meticulously reported book has plenty of gems for anyone who cares about Amazon, Jeff Bezos, entrepreneurship, leadership or just the lunacy it took to build a company in less than two decades that now employs almost 90,000 people and sold $61 billion worth of, well, almost everything last year.

*** Maths Is Fun (Sometimes) ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2013/oct/16/maths-fun-mathematics-humour>
Dean Burnett, The Guardian