[MyAppleMenu] Oct 15, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 15 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** In iOS 7, The Final Straw For Newsstand ***
<http://markokarppinen.com/post/64104789298/in-ios-7-the-final-straw-for-newsstand>
Marko Karppinen

> The segregation of Newsstand apps into the Newsstand folder wasn’t ever a positive aspect of Newsstand, but we were optimistic and thought that perhaps readers would form new habits around it. As an industry, we decided to give it a go. Apart from some early successes, attributable to a first-mover advantage, that was a mistake.

*** Tap Forms Review: Promising Personal Database Is Feature-filled ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2052801/tap-forms-review-promising-personal-database-is-feature-filled.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> Tap Forms 1.5 is a personal database app for your Mac offering a number of useful tools for collecting and managing your personal information. The app makes it easy to create basic relational databases, offers iCloud synchronization, provides data encryption, and includes dozens of pre-fabbed databases you can use as they are or as a foundation for building new databases of your own.

*** With An Upgrade, Podcasts Move To An Apple App ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/17/technology/personaltech/with-an-upgrade-podcasts-move-to-an-apple-app.html?_r=0>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

*** Apple Ups Its Fashion Cred, Names Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts As SVP Of Retail And Online Stores ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/15/apple-ups-its-fashion-cred-names-burberry-ceo-angela-ahrendts-as-its-new-svp-of-retail-and-online-stores/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> Today the company announced that it is appointing Angela Ahrendts, currently the CEO of Burberry, as its SVP of retail and online stores. This is a new position at the company that will report directly to Tim Cook, and it takes effect in the Spring of 2014. At the UK-based fashion house, she is getting succeeded by designer Christopher Bailey.

*** Speed Up The Shutdown Process In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57607463-263/speed-up-the-shutdown-process-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> A quick adjustment of the timeout values for key processes can greatly speed up otherwise laggy shutdowns in OS X.

*** Share Anytime Is A Clever Collaborative Whiteboard App For iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/14/share-anytime-is-a-clever-collaborative-whiteboard-app-for-ipad/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Daily iPad App: Rockpack Allows You To Bundle Up Your Favorite Videos Into Shareable Playlists ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/14/daily-ipad-app-rockpack-allows-you-to-bundle-up-your-favorite-v/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** An Interesting iOS App Store Upgrade Example ***
<http://www.macdrifter.com/2013/10/an-interesting-ios-app-store-upgrade-example.html>
Macdrifter

*** How To Let Other People Add Photos To Your Shared Photo Streams With iOS 7 ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-let-other-people-add-photos-your-shared-photo-streams-ios-7>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Loom Gives You One Unified Photo Library, Lets You Reclaim Space On Your iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/loom-gives-you-one-unified-photo-library-lets-you-reclaim-space-your-iphone-and-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Loom is a new service that lets you store any photos or videos in order to free up precious storage space on your iPhone or iPad. The best part is that you've then got one unified library that's accessible across all your devices. Loom is available for both iOS and OS X.

*** 1Password 4 For iOS Updated To Support Wi-Fi Sync ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14183?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Unwanted iOS 7 Occupying Space On iOS 6 Devices ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14184?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> The workaround suggested to Dave by Apple was to back up to iCloud instead of iTunes, erase the device with Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings, and then restore from the iCloud backup.

*** Explaining Podcasts In iTunes 11.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14175?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> I’ll start by explaining the easy stuff — subscribing and listening to podcasts, and managing stations — before delving into the confusing aspects of managing and syncing podcasts.

*** Review: Book On Amazon Looks At How Jeff Bezos Got Everything ***
<http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022044485_amazonbookreviewxml.html>
Jay Greene, The Seattle Times

> It is the definitive account of how a tech icon came to life.

*** A New Challenge To Books – Stories That Follow You Into The Real World ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/14/books-immersive-stories-app-the-craftsman>
Jennifer Rankin, The Guardian

> New technology makes simple ebooks look flat, but will new, immersive stories find favour with readers?

*** Unusable Words ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/10/unusable-words.html>
Brad Leithauser, New Yorker

> I was seeking a replacement for “unfathomable.” I thought of “depthless,” but, feeling a bit iffy about it, I consulted my old Webster’s Second. Yes, it was a synonym for “unfathomable” (“Of measureless depth … unsoundable”) but also for “fathomable” (“Having no depth; shallow”). The word was what I think of as an auto-antonym (a term that doesn’t appear in Webster’s Second): it’s its own opposite. Which is to say, it’s a mostly unusable word.

*** The Medieval Battle That Launched Modern English ***
<http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/the-medieval-battle-that-launched-modern-english/>
Annelisa Stephan, The Getty Iris

> William’s capture of the English crown from Harold II was a turning point for history, politics, literature, and art—but also for language. It began the transformation of English from an orderly Germanic tongue into the sprawling, messy hybrid we speak today. In short, the Battle of Hastings is the reason we talk funny.

*** Scott Adams' Secret Of Success: Failure ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304626104579121813075903866.html#>
Scott Adams, Wall Street Journal