[MyAppleMenu] Oct 14, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 14 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** The Demise Of The Independent Apple Reseller ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/the-demise-of-the-independent-apple-reseller-7000021886/>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

> How could an independent Apple reseller compete with Cupertino's retail juggernaut that gets inventory first, in greater quantity and at cost?

*** The Case Of The Missing Apple TV Movies ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2054469/the-case-of-the-missing-apple-tv-movies.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Create The Perfect Parallax Wallpaper In iOS 7 ***
<http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57605292-285/create-the-perfect-parallax-wallpaper-in-ios-7/>
Jason Cipriani, CNET

> Here are some guidelines to follow when creating a wallpaper of your own for iOS 7.

*** Apple Reuse And Recycling Programme Goes Live In UK Apple Stores Today ***
<http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124330-apple-reuse-and-recycling-programme-goes-live-in-uk-apple-stores-today>
Luke Edwards, Pocket-linkt

*** 1Password 4 For Mac Review: State-of-the-art Password Management For Everyone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2053261/1password-4-for-mac-review-state-of-the-art-password-management-for-everyone.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Sure, it’s an expensive product, particularly when you compare it with many of the other options out there. However, I’ve taken at least half a dozen password managers for a test-drive in the last 12 months, and 1Password is the only one that truly nails the right balance between security and convenience.

*** SlowCam 1.0 For The iPhone Has Advantages Over The Built-in iOS Solution ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/10/14/slowcam-1-0-for-the-iphone-has-advantages-over-the-built-in-ios-solution/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Your City Is Spying On You: From iPhones To Cameras, You Are Being Watched Right Now ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/13/your_city_is_spying_on_you_from_iphones_to_cameras_you_are_being_watched_right_now/>
Anthony M. Townsend, Salon

> When sensors are used without our knowledge or against our will, they become instruments of surveillance. Most of the sensors to create a seamless snooping system are already in place, but the data — credit-card transactions, passport scans at borders, emails, and phone calls — are held by a scattered array of organizations. Linking it all together, sifting through it and assembling dossiers is, for government intelligence agencies and law enforcement, a killer app for smart cities.

*** Apple's Spaceship Is Landing In The Wrong Place ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/troy-wolverton/ci_24302684/wolverton-apples-spaceship-is-landing-wrong-place>
Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News

> Those bucolic scenes of people walking through the forested grounds or eating lunch in the grass near the spaceship? Those will all be employees -- assuming they're able to break away from their desks. Apple says the campus will be closed to the public, and a fence around the perimeter of the property will guarantee that. The public won't even get to use a long-planned creek trail that would have run through the southeastern corner of the property, because Cupertino acquiesced to Apple's paranoid security concerns.

*** Split My Tab For iPhone Lets You Split, Pay For, And Keep Track Of Who Owes Who When Eating Out ***
<http://www.imore.com/split-my-tab-iphone-lets-you-split-pay-and-keep-track-who-owes-who-when-eating-out>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Newton's Universal Law Of Gravitation ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/13/newtons-universal-law-of-gravitation>
Alok Jha, The Guardian

> How Isaac Newton's encounter with that apple ended up helping send rockets into space.

*** Poem Of The Week: Conjuration By Pauline Stainer ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/oct/14/poem-of-the-week-pauline-stainer>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

> Compressing the great myths of resurrection into vignettes, questions of life and death are here reanimated in tangible form.

*** “The Goldfinch”: Donna Tartt’s 21St-century Dickens ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/13/the_goldfinch_21st_century_dickens/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> Donna Tartt's masterful, enveloping feat of storytelling about an orphan who steals a celebrated artwork.

*** TED Talks Are Lying To You ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/10/13/ted_talks_are_lying_to_you/>
Thomas Frank, Salon