[MyAppleMenu] Oct 13, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 13 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** How-to: Mark Up And Caption Images Using Preview On OS X ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/12/how-to-mark-up-and-caption-images-using-preview-on-os-x/>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Help Save The Seahorse By Stabbing At Your iPhone ***
<http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/help-save-seahorse-stabbing-your-iphone>
Shaunacy Ferro, Popular Science

> A new project called iSeahorse aims to bump up the number of people on the lookout for seahorses by allowing anyone—scientist, diver or beach-goer—to catalog any seahorse sightings they experience through an iPhone app and website.

*** The Core Internet Institutions Abandon The Us Government ***
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/10/11/the-core-internet-institutions-abandon-the-us-government/>
Miltton Mueller, Internet Governance Project

*** The Marathon Of Their Lives ***
<http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/9768224/marathon-their-lives>
David Fleming, ESPN

> Runner No. 3694 in the Chicago Marathon was known as Superman. Runner No. 21385 was nine months' pregnant. At Mile 26, their paths diverged. And there's no explaining why only one crossed the finish line.

*** What Stephen King Isn’t ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/10/what-stephen-king-isnt.html>
Joshua Rothman, New Yorker

> “Doctor Sleep” underscores an interesting fact about King: he’s not really, or not exclusively, a horror writer.

*** I Got Hired At A Bangladesh Sweatshop. Meet My 9-Year-old Boss ***
<http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/10/11/i_got_hired_at_a_bangladesh_sweatshop_meet_my_9yearold_boss.html>
Raveena Aulakh, Toronto Star

> Meem is 9 years old and works as a sewing helper in a garment factory. For a few days this summer, she was also my boss.

> She taught me the tricks of trimming. She taught me to smile when my back ached. She taught me some Bengali words.

> <i>Sab bhalo</i>. It is all okay.

*** Empress Dowager Cixi By Jung Chang, Review ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/historybookreviews/10372293/Empress-Dowager-Cixi-by-Jung-Chang-review.html>
James Owen, The Telegraph