[MyAppleMenu] Oct 12, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 12 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple: Exclusive Photos Of Company's Planned 'Spaceship' Campus In Cupertino ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_24290077/apples-new-headquarters-exclusive-images-cupertino-plan>
San Jose Mercury News

*** Apple Crediting Eligible iOS Users Who Paid For iWork, iLife After September 1St ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/11/apple-crediting-eligible-ios-users-who-paid-for-iwork-ilife-after-september-1st/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Yelp 7.2 Introduces More Streamlined Navigation Scheme And Other UI Tweaks ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/yelp-7-2-introduces-more-streamlined-navigation-scheme-and-other-ui-tweaks>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Review: How iOS 7 Addresses Bring-your-own-device Security concerns ***
<http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/360061>
Jenna Cyprus, Digital Journal

> Companies that rely on employees to use their own smartphones and tablets at work have encountered many IT challenges. How can your organization maintain security standards if employees are mixing their professional and personal lives on their devices?

> These situations can create the perfect storm of human error, data vulnerabilities, unauthorized access, and software attacks. Fortunately, iOS 7 has introduced some compelling security features, such as Per-app VPN, new MDM configurations, and "open-in" management.

*** No Future: Apple, iOS 7, iBeacon -- There's No Future For NFC ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/wireless-networking/22961/apple-ios-7-ibeacon-wearables-and-ble-leave-little-future-nfc>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Why Dividends Are Needed (Even Apple Agrees) ***
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/d17cdf28-325b-11e3-b3a7-00144feab7de.html#axzz2hSlH0uwx>
Neil Collins, Financial Times

*** Here Is Apple’s Mailer Asking Cupertino Residents To Support Its New Campus Ahead Of City Council Vote ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/11/here-is-apples-mailer-asking-cupertino-residents-to-support-its-new-campus-ahead-of-city-council-vote/>
Alex Wilhelm, TechCrunch

*** Advice From An Apple Tech: Battle The Dust Bunnies ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2053260/advice-from-an-apple-tech-battle-the-dust-bunnies.html>
Chris Barylick, Macworld

> While there are no guaranteed means of keeping your Mac cool, one of the best things you can do is ensure that it’s as dust-free as possible, thereby allowing for a better air flow within your computer.

*** Moving Into A New MacBook Air ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/11/technology/personaltech/moving-into-a-new-macbook-air.html?_r=0>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

> The Migration Assistant program included over the last few years with Mac OS X moves pretty much all personal information — user accounts, settings, Keychain password, files, folders and programs — on the old computer over to the new one. As long as your programs are compatible with the newer version of Mac OS X, they should run fine, but you may want to look for any free software updates that may be available.

*** PhotoReviewer Review: Quick And Easy Image Triage ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2053944/photoreviewer-review-quick-and-easy-image-triage.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> PhotoReviewer makes quick and easy work of reviewing and sorting your photos—before you import them into iPhoto, Aperture, or your image-library app of choice.

*** Organize OS X Fonts Using Font Book Smart Collections ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57607164-263/organize-os-x-fonts-using-font-book-smart-collections/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Apple's Font Book utility is a convenient lightweight font manager built into OS X, and while it does not offer some of the advanced features of some third-party font managers, it does offer enough for most average uses. With this utility you can enable and disable fonts, import and preview them, run diagnostics, and repair routines. In addition, you can group them into collections for various uses, be it writing in a specific language, or for tasks like Web design where you might need Web-compatible fonts.

*** The Latest Virtualization showdown—Parallels Desktop 9 Vs. VMware Fusion 6 ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/the-latest-virtualization-showdown-parallels-desktop-9-vs-vmware-fusion-6/>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

> A Start8 menu for Windows, IT security, and even improved gaming show up this year.

*** Apple Demands News Site Pull Copy Of iTunes Radio Contract, Claims Copyright Infringement ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/11/4829116/apple-demands-news-site-pull-copy-of-itunes-radio-contract-claims>
Greg Sandoval, The Verge

*** iPhones Sold In HK Won't Get China Warranty ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/cn/iphones-sold-in-hk-wont-get-china-warranty-7000021854/>
Cyrus Lee, ZDNet

> It seems that Apple in China will not support any warranty maintenance or repairs for iPhone 5c and 5c units bought in Hong Kong.

Prices in Hong Kong is also cheaper than other parts of China.

*** Apple’s BlackBerry Employee-Poaching Party ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131011/apples-blackberry-employee-poaching-party/?mod=tweet>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> “If you are interested in working on the world’s most advanced mobile devices and operating systems as well as alongside other amazing, talented and passionate engineers then Apple may have opportunities for you,” reads an invitation sent via LinkedIn to some BlackBerry employees.

*** Apple Now Says iPhone 5s Ships In 2-3 Weeks, Customers Seeing mid-November Deliveries ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/11/apple-now-says-iphone-5s-ships-in-2-3-weeks-customers-seeing-mid-november-deliveries/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apps On iPhone 5s Crashing At Twice The Rate As On Other iPhone 5 Models ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20131011/apps-on-iphone-5s-crashing-at-twice-the-rate-as-on-iphone-5-iphone-5c/>
Ina Fried, All Things D

> Levy said that perhaps the reason the iPhone 5s is seeing more crashes than the equally new iPhone 5c is that, while developers were able to check their apps for compatibility with iOS 7 during several months of beta testing, the new hardware wasn’t available ahead of time.

*** Book Review: ‘I Am Malala’ By Malala Yousafzai ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-i-am-malala-by-malala-yousafzai/2013/10/11/530ba90a-329a-11e3-9c68-1cf643210300_story.html>
Marie Arana, Washington Post

> Whether an emerging nation likes it or not, its girls are its greatest resource. Educating them, as economist Lawrence Summers once said, “may be the single highest-return investment available in the developing world.”

> Nowhere is that lesson more evident than in the story of Malala Yousafzai, a Pashtun girl from Pakistan’s Swat Valley who was born of an illiterate mother, grew up in her father’s school, read Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time” by age 11 and has a gift for stirring oratory.

*** Book Review: 'Jim Henson' By Brian Jay Jones ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303918804579107122553846590.html>
Will Friedwald, Wall Street Journal