[MyAppleMenu] Oct 7, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 7 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple’s New iMac Cold To The Touch ***
<http://www.afr.com/f/free/technology/digitallife/apple_new_imac_cold_to_the_touch_M6MUBqPPwjno6qN7GonjNN>
John Davidson, Financial Review

> If adding touch means a schizoid operating system like Windows 8, then maybe it’s just as well Apple hasn’t gone there.

*** German Café Owner Takes On Apple - And Wins ***
<http://www.dw.de/german-café-owner-takes-on-apple-and-wins/a-17138587>
DW

> While Apple Germany declined to comment on the dispute, cases such as Apple's are commonplace, Bulling says. While the café's logo doesn't look particularly similar to the computer firm's own, and a successful infringement case was never likely, Apple's move might still have been calculated, he says, so that small business would shy away from any and all apple-related themes.

As a layperson, I don't think the cafe's logo resembles Apple's.

*** 21.5-Inch iMac (Late 2013) Review: Iris Pro Driving An Accurate Display ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/215inch-imac-late-2013-review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

> The iMac’s industrial design is beautiful. I’m not sure I’m happy with the bezel thickness around the display, but otherwise I’m happy with the way Apple’s 2012 redesign turned out. Particularly with the 21.5-inch model, the compactness of the new iMac is pretty awesome. It’s a lot like the benefits of having a lightweight LCD TV - you only appreciate it when you have to move the thing, but it’s nice to have regardless of how rarely you move it.

*** Google Play Vs iTunes Match: Which Mac Music Streaming Service Should You Buy? ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3472227&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

*** Get Your Mac Ready For Mavericks (OS X 10.9) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2052602/get-your-mac-ready-for-mavericks-os-x-10-9.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> We’re still waiting on a specific date for that release—at WWDC earlier this year, Apple said only "this fall"—but for those aiming to upgrade as soon as the new OS drops, the golden master means that now is the time to start getting your Mac ready for Mavericks.

The number one thing: backups.
(In fact, even if you are not preparing to install Mavericks, you'll still need to do backups.)

*** How I Almost Lost Every Family Photo I Have ***
<http://rantsandrambles.net/blog/how-i-almost-lost-every-family-photo-i-have>
Nate Boateng, Rans & Rambles