[MyAppleMenu] Oct 8, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 8 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Instacast Gains Apple A7 64-Bit Processor Support And Other Enhancements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/instacast-gains-apple-a7-64-bit-processor-support-and-other-enhancements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Evernote Rolls Out Two-Step Verification To All Users ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/10/08/evernote-rolls-two-step-verification-users/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

*** AT&T U-verse Subscribers Can Now Stream Live TV On iPhone, iPad ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/07/u-verse-subscribers-can-now-stream-live-tv-on-iphone-ipad>
Shane Cole, AppleInsider

*** Review: SlideStory For iOS ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/07/review-slidestory-for-ios/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** iOS 7 Is Making Life More Difficult For Blind Arabic Speakers ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/07/ios-7-is-making-life-more-difficult-for-blind-arabic-speakers/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> The new Arabic VoiceOver option frequently adds random syllables to words, making it difficult to comprehend, and also has a nasty habit of leaving spaces out between words.

*** Benchmarks: 'Ultimate' iMac Gets Boost From PCIe Flash Storage, Faster CPU ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2051357/benchmarks-ultimate-imac-gets-boost-from-pcie-flash-storage-faster-cpu.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

*** Hands-on With Capo 3 For Mac: Easily Learn Your Favorite Songs ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2052192/hands-on-with-capo-3-for-mac-easily-learn-your-favorite-songs.html#tk.rss_all>
Seerenity Caldwell, Macworld

> The thing I like most about Capo is how easily it invites you to play around with otherwise-complicated musical notation. Its interface manages to pack in all sorts of helpful features without ever intimidating users; it’s the type of program I’d recommend both to master musicians and the kid who’s picked up her first guitar.

*** Capturing The Aura Of The Scottish Highlands With The iPhone 5S ***
<http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/2013/10/07/capturing-the-aura-of-the-scottish-highlands-with-the-iphone-5s/>
Jim Richardson, National Geographic

> Leaving his trusty Nikon behind, Jim Richardson returns to a favorite spot to photograph, the Scottish Highlands, with a brave new tool—the iPhone 5S.

*** Want To Evade NSA Spying? Don’t Connect To The Internet ***
<http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/10/149481/>
Bruce Schneier, Wired

*** 2013 iMac Review: Apple’s All-In-One Benefits Big From Improved Processor, Graphics ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/07/2013-imac-review/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> Apple has provided a fairly standard upgrade for the iMac with these most recent versions, much like it does between major generational shifts for the Mac that happen every few years. But the hidden nature of these changes belies their benefits, especially for users working at the top level of the iMac’s capabilities.

*** Camera+ iOS App Adds Full-resolution Burst-mode & New iOS 7 Filter Pack ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/07/camera-ios-app-adds-full-resolution-burst-mode-new-ios-7-filter-pack/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Add Time Zone Support To Calendar For iOS ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/07/enable-time-zone-support-calendar-ios/>
OS X Daily

*** A Rare Bit Of Apple Journalism ***
<http://kensegall.com/2013/10/a-rare-bit-of-apple-journalism/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> Given that iPhone was still six months away from launch, it’s not unusual that it was so unfinished when Steve unveiled it. What’s unusual is that it was unveiled six months before it shipped — unlike any other product in Apple history. That far before its ship date, every Apple product has serious issues.

*** A Quantum Leap ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2012/07/higgs_boson_announcement_from_cern_why_the_god_particle_is_so_important_.html>
Lawrence Krauss, Slate

> The discovery of the Higgs boson particle puts our understanding of nature on a new firm footing.

*** Book Review: For Food Network Addicts, New Book Hits The Spot ***
<http://www.crescent-news.com/reviews/2013/10/07/book-review-for-food-network-addicts-new-book-hits-the-spot>
Jessica Gresko, Associated Press

> In "From Scratch: Inside the Food Network," Allen Salkin guides readers through the history of the network, from its start in the 1990s to today. Along the way, Salkin serves up plenty of stories that will surprise and entertain.

*** Gladwell Is Goliath ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/books/2013/10/malcolm_gladwell_s_david_and_goliath_reviewed.html>
Daniel Engber, Slate