[MyAppleMenu] Oct 6, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 6 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** The Abomination Of Ebooks: They Price People Out Of Reading ***
<http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/10/how-ebook-pricing-hurts-us-in-more-ways-than-you-think>
Art Brodsky, Wired

> This is not one of those rants about missing the texture, touch, colors, whatever of paper contrasted with the sterility of reading on a tablet. No, the real abomination of ebooks is often overlooked: Some are so ingrained in the product itself that they are hiding in plain sight, while others are well concealed beneath layers of commerce and government.

> The real problem with ebooks is that they’re more “e” than book, so an entirely different set of rules govern what someone — from an individual to a library — can and can’t do with them compared to physical books, especially when it comes to pricing.

*** Why Care About 30,000 Notes? ***
<http://inessential.com/2013/10/05/why_care_about_30_000_notes_>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> I think performance is under-rated by many developers. There are apps that I use and love that block the main thread too often, apps that are otherwise wonderful. I’m disappointed every time I notice. I sigh at the app.

> I’m a developer, so I know what’s going on, and I know that it doesn’t have to be that way.

*** Line App Increases Voice Message Duration, Rejects Messages From Non-Friends ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/10/line-app-increases-voice-message-duration-rejects-messages-from-non-friends>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** The Signature Of All Things By Elizabeth Gilbert – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/06/signature-all-things-elizabeth-gilbert-review>
Elizabeth Day, The Guardian

> The Signature of All Things, Gilbert's sixth book and her second work of full-length fiction, is quite simply one of the best novels I have read in years.

*** Palimpsest By Kristina Marie Darling ***
<http://therumpus.net/2013/10/palimpsest-by-kristina-marie-darling/>
Anne Champion, The Rumpus.net