[MyAppleMenu] Oct 5, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 5 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** SEC Ends Review Of Apple Taxes, Overseas Cash ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/04/sec-ends-review-of-apple-inc-taxes-overseas-cash-aapl>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

> Four months after raising questions about Apple's foreign earnings and taxes, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission has ended its investigation without plans to take any further action.

*** Smart Converter Provides Free Media Format Conversion For OS X ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/04/smart-converter-provides-free-media-format-conversion-for-os-x/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

*** Glyphs Mini 1.5.1 Review - Brings Typography To The Masses ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3472071&olo=rss>
Vic Lenard, Macworld UK

*** Best Buy Drops the Price of iPhone 5c to $50 ***
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-iphone-5c-best-buy-weekend-50/story?id=20463745>
Joanna Stern, ABC News

> According to Best Buy, customers will get a $50 gift card with the phone and can apply that to the $99.99 device, bringing the phone cost down to $50.

Also:
• <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/walmart-drops-price-phone-5c-45-best-buys/story?id=20474818">Two Weeks After Launch, Walmart Drops Price of the iPhone 5c to $45 After Best Buy's Offer</a> (Joanna Stern, ABC News)

*** Review: Night Camera HD - Low Light Photography ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/04/review-night-camera-hd-low-light-photography/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Night Camera HD features exposures up to 1 second, a manual ISO 3200 setting for really dark locations, an on-screen histogram, tap to focus and automatic or manual exposure adjustment.

*** Apple Officially Appeals In Ebook Pricing Case ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/10/04/apple-officially-appeals-in-ebook-pricing-case/>
Laura Hazard Owen, GigaOM

> Apple has filed its appeal against federal judge Denise Cote’s verdict in the ebook pricing case. Apple seeks to overturn Judge Cote’s July verdict that it conspired with publishers to fix ebook prices, as well as the September 6 injunction that prohibits Apple from including most-favored-nation clauses in its ebook contracts for five years and requires it to be monitored by a court-appointed external monitor.

*** And Then Steve Said, ‘Let There Be An iPhone’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/and-then-steve-said-let-there-be-an-iphone.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&pagewanted=all&>
Fred Vogelstein, New York Times

> An age of darkness ended with a searing light, which shook the earth, and the great device was rendered unto thee.

*** To Perfect And Serve: For Some New Restaurants, It’s Never Too Early To Shut Down And Start Over ***
<http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2013/10/02/to-perfect-and-serve-for-some-new-restaurants-its-never-too-early-to-shut-down-and-start-over/>
Jessica Sidman, Washington City Paper

> It’s still rare for such young restaurants to close after only a few weeks or months in order to make things right. Sure, it’s not uncommon to shut down for renovations and reopen with a new look, new menu, or even a new concept. But typically, that happens after the place has been around at least a few years, and the carpet has grown dingy and the menu outdated.

*** Book Review: 'Becoming A Londoner' By David Plante ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324094704579068910823711326.html>
D.J. Taylor, Wall Street Journal

> Sir John Betjeman once wrote a poem called "How to Get On in Society" ("Phone for the fish-knives, Norman, as Cook is a little unnerved. . . .") The advice it tenders is, of course, ironic. An upper-class Englishman of the time would have "telephoned" rather than "phoned," and fish-knives were for parvenus. To David Plante, a young American arriving in the London of the mid-1960s with that age-old ambition of being a writer and meeting interesting people, the challenge was not so much to crack a linguistic code (although the "lunch" versus "luncheon" debate needs careful handling) as to find a reliable sponsor. Guide books are clearly important, but how much more satisfactory to meet the man who wrote them.

*** Let’s Do It ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/books/review/lets-do-it.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
John Williams, New York Times

> As Deborah Eisenberg once put it, “The anatomical possibilities are limited, so a poorly written sex scene can be a little like hearing an 8-year-old describe the plot of his favorite movie.” Even John Updike won a lifetime achievement award for bad sex writing. Yet, as Sam Lipsyte wrote in The New Republic earlier this year, “We delight in the comedy of bad sex writing, probably because it corresponds to the comedy of our bodies, which are, minus the most gorgeous 1 percent, not nearly as delectable and confident as we might fantasize.”

*** Why Do We Eat Popcorn At The Movies? ***
<http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/10/why-do-we-eat-popcorn-at-the-movies/>
Natasha Geiling, Smithsonia.com