[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 4 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Bugs & Fixes: When iTunes Warns About Untransferred Items ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2052300/bugs-and-fixes-when-itunes-warns-about-untransferred-items.html#tk.rss_all>
Ted Landau, Macworld

*** 'I'm The Original Voice Of Siri' ***
<http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/04/tech/mobile/bennett-siri-iphone-voice/>
Jessica Ravitz, CNN

> Behind this groundbreaking technology there is a real woman. While the ever-secretive Apple has never identified her, all signs indicate that the original voice of Siri in the United States is a voiceover actor who laid down recordings for a client eight years ago. She had no idea she'd someday be speaking to more than 100 million people through a not-yet-invented phone.

*** Restore Album Art On iOS Devices, And Get The iTunes Store App To Work In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2051370/restore-album-art-on-ios-devices-and-get-the-itunes-store-app-to-work-in-ios-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Supplemental Update ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14160?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Apple has released a supplemental update to OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5 with a couple sleep-related fixes, including a bug that could cause external drives to be ejected after your Mac goes to sleep and a problem that prevented HDMI audio from working after waking from sleep.

*** iTunes 11.1.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14159?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> In addition to improving stability (a promise made with each new update), the release fixes a bug that could cause movies with iTunes Extras to display incorrectly and a problem with deleted podcasts.

*** Apple Pulls App That Helped Chinese Internet Users Over The Great Firewall ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/03/apple_removes_app_from_china_app_store_that_allowed_users_to_circumvent.html>
Elliot Hannon, Slate

> A free app once available at Apple’s App Store in China that allowed internet users to circumvent the so-called “Great Firewall” has been removed by the company. The app, called OpenDoor, was removed from the store in July with no explanation or notification, reports Radio Netherlands.

*** New Book Erects Photographic Shrine To Apple ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303464504579107543820263888.html>
Betsy McKay, Wall Street Journal

> "Iconic: A Photographic Tribute to Apple Innovation," documents every Apple product ever created, from the Apple I computer to the iPad mini.

*** Secure Your Deleted Files In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57605935-263/secure-your-deleted-files-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> When you delete files in OS X, by default the system will simply remove the file's entry from the drive's index, which simply allocates the space used by the file as free for other uses. However, while this logically deletes the file, on conventional hard drives the data structure of the file is still intact and with special data recovery software can be read through and potentially recovered.

> This means that if you store an important document on an external hard drive and then decide to delete the file, its contents will still be on the drive and may be recoverable. However, Apple does offer a few approaches for removing the residual data from a file that you are going to delete, or which has already been deleted.

*** Sustainability And The Mac App Store ***
<http://realmacsoftware.com/blog/sustainability-and-the-mac-app-store>
Dan Counsell, Realmac Software Blog

> We had a lot of users saying they wouldn’t buy the new version at full price, they’d just wait for it to go on sale.

> This was heartbreaking to read.

Remember JCPenny's former CEO and his failed attempt to move the department store from a discount-and-sales-every-other-day store to a fair-price-no-discount store?

*** Rdio Launches Free Service On iOS, Android ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/03/rdio-launches-free-service-on-ios-android/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** Apple Sweats The Details With Its New Headquarters ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/scott-herhold/ci_24223449/herhold-apple-sweats-details-its-new-headquarters?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Scott Herhold, San Jose Mercury News

> For me, the compelling detail was the trees. The environmental impact report says Apple plans to plant more than 6,200 trees, though it has to remove as many as 3,600 in construction. Dan Whisenhunt, Apple's director of real estate and facilities, explained that the company has been hand-selecting oaks in northern California for the site.

> You knew then Steve Jobs' DNA had not vanished.

*** Chrome For iOS Bug Shows Private Browsing Search History In Google Mobile Search Bar ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/chrome-for-ios-bug-shows-private-browsing-search-history-in-google-mobile-search-bar/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> It turns out that when you use the search/address bar in Incognito mode in Chrome, that history will show up when you return to standard browsing in Google’s mobile website search bar.

> Google has gotten back to us to let us know that this is an unfortunate but unavoidable loophole that comes with building a browser on iOS. It’s noted in the company’s support docs around Incognito mode.

Google owns the browser, the servers, and the service, (though not the rendering engine on iOS) and still manages to 'blame' "platform limitation"?

*** Apple To Promote Mac Apps For Education And Enterprise With New Volume Purchase Program ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/03/apple-to-promote-mac-apps-for-education-and-enterprise-with-new-volume-purchase-program/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Mark Gruman, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple has informed Mac developers that it is preparing to launch the ability for educational institutions and developers to purchase apps from the Mac App Store in volume for a discount.

*** Redesigning For Ios 7 ***
<http://www.steamclock.com/blog/2013/10/ios7-app-redesigns/>
Allen Pike, Steamclock Software

> As enjoyable as a visual refresh is, though, we’re more excited about what comes from building an app from the ground up using the new navigation methaphors and APIs.

*** The iPhone 5S Motion Sensors Are Totally Screwed Up ***
<http://gizmodo.com/the-iphone-5s-motion-sensors-are-totally-screwed-up-1440286727>
Mario Aguilar, Gizmodo

> Since the iPhone 5S landed in the hands of new owners a few weeks ago, there have been reports that on-board sensors like the gyroscope, compass, and accelerometer haven't been working properly on some devices. We've confirmed the new iPhone's failings on our own. It's not just off. It's embarrassing.

*** Apple Acquires Cue, Personal Assistant App For The iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/10/03/apple-acquires-cue-personal-assistant-app-for-the-iphone-and/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

> Cue works by combing through a user's varied internet accounts, determining what's useful, and then aggregating it all into a single "intelligent" snapshot.

*** Adobe Says Almost 3M Customers’ Information Compromised In Sophisticated Attack ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/03/adobe-says-data-for-almost-3m-customers-compromised-in-sophisticated-attack/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Arkin says Adobe’s ongoing investigation has found that the attackers have accessed Adobe IDs and encrypted passwords for approximately 2.9 million customers, but that it does “not believe the attackers removed decrypted credit or debit card numbers.” They were, however, able to get their hands on names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and customer order information.

*** How To Make A Vesper: 1.007 ***
<http://vesperapp.co/blog/how-to-make-a-vesper-1-007/>
Dave Wiskus, Vesper

*** Why 2014 Will Be A Great Year For IPhone Users ***
<http://www.chicagogrid.com/reviews/tech/iphone-5s-review/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Grid

> Right now, I see a an attractive phone with a terrific camera, a fingerprint sensor that makes my life less annoying 60 times a day, gaming abilities that make me want to play more games, a mobility sensor that despite my worst instincts will probably encourage me to exercise more, and enough raw speed that iOS 7’s complicated cinematic user interface effects seem like an instinctive an unobtrusive feature.

> And that’s certainly good enough. I also can’t help but imagine what we might see over the course of the next year. Apple doesn’t add features to impress reviewers. They add features because they have larger goals in mind … and not all of those goals are revealed alongside the launch of a new device.

*** Becoming A Londoner: A Diary By David Plante – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/04/becoming-londoner-david-plante-review>
Lara Feigel, The Guardian

> Plante has come to Europe seeking promiscuity; instead, he is surprised into monogamous happiness. "Is this love?" he asks. "Is it love to want to be with him when he dies, and close his eyes?"

*** The Age Of Amazon Still Needs Editors Like Max Perkins ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/oct/04/age-amazon-editors-max-perkins>
Gavin James Bower, The Guardian

> Max Perkins: Editor of Genius is reissued this month, 35 years after it was first published – but what can the man who told Ernest Hemingway to "tone it down" and lived to tell the tale teach us about publishing today?

*** ‘Radio Free Boston’ By Carter Alan ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2013/10/03/book-review-radio-free-boston-the-rise-and-fall-wbcn-carter-alan/n1J4ozmJMtbaiu3S7eds4N/story.html>
Sarah Rodman, The Boston Globe