[MyAppleMenu] Nov 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 20 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Apple Releases Apple Store App For iPad, With Image-centric Design And New Trends Section ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/20/apple-releases-apple-store-app-for-ipad-with-image-centric-design-and-new-trends-section/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Benjamin Mayo, 9 To 5 Mac

*** NSNotificationCenter With Blocks Considered Harmful ***
<http://sealedabstract.com/code/nsnotificationcenter-with-blocks-considered-harmful/>
Sealed Abstract

*** First iPhone Game Controllers Take iOS Back To The Future ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5125080/iphone-controllers-launch-logitech-powershell-moga-ace-power>
Vlad Savov, The Verge

> This week, a pair of the first Made for iPhone controllers are making their debuts, one from Logitech, dubbed the PowerShell, and the other from PowerA, called the Moga Ace Power.

*** Apple's 'Spaceship' Campus Earns Final Approval From Its Home City ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5125034/apples-spaceship-campus-approval-from-cupertino>
Rich McCormick, The Verge

> Apple has received final approval for its planned "spaceship" campus from the city of Cupertino. The city council gave its formal approval in a vote on Tuesday, after it had unanimously agreed to the construction of the 176-acre California campus in October. Construction will begin with the demolition of the Hewlett-Packard office buildings currently on site later this year.

*** OS X Mavericks Tips: Top 5 'Unknown' Built-in Mac Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/?newsid=3489858&olo=rss>
Keir Thomas, Macworld UK

*** Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 For OS X Review ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/126686/adobe-photoshop-elements-12-for-os-x-review/>
Kaled Ali, TechnologyTell

> I do wish that Photoshop Elements provided a bit more guidance on the Expert section so you can learn to navigate it more easily, but either way, Adobe has made it as simple as you can get without sacrificing the powerful features of the software.

*** iWork For OS X Review (2013) Review ***
<http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/software/iwork-osx-2013.aspx>
Anthony Domanico, Laptop Magazine

> Apple's new iWork suite is no small upgrade; it's a full reimagining of what work looks like in the new era of tablets and smartphones. iWork is powerful enough for most uses; the new design is elegant and simple to use, and the new formatting sidebar puts all the tools you need on the screen when you need them. Plus, the fact that documents now look the same whether you're viewing them on Mac, iOS or the Web eliminates the frustrations typically found when working across platforms, and allows for easy collaboration via iWork for iCloud.

*** An iPad That's Mini In Screen Size Only ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303531204579208003820046892>
Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

> This means you basically just choose what size screen you prefer, the 9.7-inch iPad Air or the 7.9-inch iPad Mini with Retina display, without compromising.

*** GT Racing 2 Review ***
<http://www.maclife.com/article/games/gt_racing_2_review>
Joseph Leray, Mac Life

*** OtterBox iPhone 5S Commuter Wallet Review ***
<http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/19/otterbox-iphone-5s-commuter-wallet-review/>
Josh Smith, Gotta Be Mobile

*** Google Maps SDK For iOS Adds 64 Bit Support And More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/19/google-maps-sdk-for-ios-adds-64-bit-support-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Dash Turns Dining Out Into A Seamless Experience ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2064511/dash-turns-dining-out-into-a-seamless-experience.html#tk.rss_all>
Caitlin McGarry, TechHive

> Dash is a new iOS app that wants to give you the ease of Seamless delivery without taking the fun out of a night on the town. It works almost exactly the way Seamless does: Store your credit card information in the app, and when you eat or drink at a venue that uses Dash, you can settle your bill straight from the app—tip calculations and all.

*** If You Care About Privacy, Don't Use OS X Mail ***
<http://evertpot.com/if-you-care-about-privacy-dont-use-osx-mail/>
Evert Pot

> Since the amount of spam I'm receiving appears to increase every day, I wanted to look a bit into how sensitive Mail.app is to letting spammers known I (accidentally) read their email.

> Turns out it is absolutely horrendous. I'm talking Outlook Express in 1995-bad.

*** Microsoft Releases Xbox One SmartGlass iOS Companion App For Its Next-Gen Console ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/microsoft-releases-xbox-one-smartglass-ios-companion-app-for-its-next-gen-console>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Daily iPhone App: Survival GPS App Is The Swiss Army Knife Of Compass App ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/19/daily-iphone-app-survival-gps-app-is-the-swiss-army-knife-of-co/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> The Survival GPS app gives you a bunch of tidbits of data that'll help you get your bearing whether you are in the woods or on a city street.

*** The iPad Gave My Desktop A New Lease Of Life ***
<http://futurilla.com/latest/2013/11/19/the-ipad-gave-my-desktop-a-new-lease-of-life>
Robert Sharl, Futurilla

> We're at a place now where it's possible to move relatively seamlessly between a large screen Mac desktop and a portable iOS experience; where I can start an email on the iPhone during a commute and pick it up at my desk, and where I can finish a Keynote presentation on my iMac and present it moments later through a web browser on a classroom PC.

*** MacBook Air Vs MacBook Pro: Which MacBook Model Should You Get? ***
<http://www.imore.com/macbook-air-vs-macbook-pro-which-macbook-model-should-you-get>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Any way you slice it, the MacBook line is better than ever in 2013, and whatever your choice, you'll end up with the best laptop on the market.

*** Apple TV Adds PBS And Yahoo ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/19/apple-tv-adds-pbs-and-yahoo/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

*** Apple Releases Find My Friends 3.0 With iOS 7 Face-lift ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/19/apple-releases-find-my-friends-3-0-with-ios-7-facelift/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The updated app doesn't look like it offers any new features, but it's gotten the iOS 7 treatment: brand-new icon, textual menus, flattened design. Bye-bye stitched leather.

*** Twitter For Android And iOS Get Search Filters, Toggle Between Top And All Tweets, Trends And Events Timeline ***
<http://thenextweb.com/twitter/2013/11/19/twitter-android-ios-get-search-filters-toggle-top-tweets-trends-events-timeline/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

*** The Particle At The End Of The Universe, By Sean Carroll – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/20/particle-end-of-universe-higgs-sean-carroll-review>
Robin McKie, The Guardian