[MyAppleMenu] Nov 19, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 19 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Apportable Brings Objective-C To Android ***
<http://www.infoq.com/news/2013/11/apportable-ios-to-android>
Ralph Winzinger, InfoQ

*** Appidemic: Analog For OS X ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/126475/appidemic-analog-for-os-x/>
Krisette Capati, TechnologyTell

> Analog is straightforward photo editing software with filters and borders that you can apply in a few minutes.

*** Livescribe 3 Smartpen Review ***
<http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/21038/livescribe-3-smartpen-review>
Kat Orphanides, IT Pro

> The ability to take notes from sales negotiations, job interviews or board meetings, sync and then share them from an iPad can be invaluable. Whilst Livescribe's app needs polish, this an excellent business companion for iOS users.

*** Frozen: Storybook Deluxe App Review ***
<http://disneymusings.blogspot.com/2013/11/frozen-storybook-deluxe-app-review.html>
Nick Maglio, Disney Musings

*** Review: ProCamera For iPhone ***
<http://gadgetsteria.com/2013/11/19/review-procamera-for-iphone/>
Mike Norris, Gadgetseteria

*** Review: Studio Credence Leather & Felt Book-style iPad Case (And iPhone Sleeve) ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/18/review-studio-credence-leather-felt-book-style-ipad-case-and-iphone-sleeve/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> On your lap, the leather has enough friction that it sits securely, with no tendency to slip off. On a desk, it’s perfect. You also wouldn’t hesitate to pull it out in the most important of meetings: it looks the part.

*** Tim Cook Decides Not To Ruin <i>Most</i> Apple Workers' Thanksgivings ***
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/18/apple-store-thanksgiving_n_4295487.html>
Alexis Kleinman, The Huffington Post

> A person familiar with Apple's plans confirmed to The Huffington Post that only three U.S. Apple stores -- one in New York, one in Hawaii and one in Las Vegas -- will be open on Thanksgiving Day, and all other U.S. stores will be closed.

*** Can't Trust This: Inconsistencies Shake Faith In Apple ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2064275/cant-trust-this-inconsistencies-shake-faith-in-apple.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> I want to trust that Siri will perform my mundane task for me on the first try, and not attempt to placate me with hollow apologies. I want to trust that the features I depend on won’t vanish from my apps. And boy, I wish that the confident “it just works” mentality I feel when I drag a file into Dropbox applied when I save a document to iCloud. But I don’t trust Apple as much as I’d like.

I never use Siri, I still use Excel, and I seldom rely on apps to sync across iCloud. (The only iCloud-sync app that I use is 1Password.)

*** Google To Pay $17 Million To States In Apple Cookies Case ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2064581/google-to-pay-17-million-to-states-in-apple-cookies-case.html#tk.rss_all>
Grant Gross, IDG News Service

*** Apple Now Accepting Water-Damaged iPhones For Its Trade-In Program ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/apple-now-accepting-water-damaged-iphones-for-its-trade-in-program>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> There’s a considerable difference (as much as $120) between the trade-in values of water-damaged and non-water-damaged units of the same iPhone model.

*** To Mini Or To Air, That Is The iPad Question ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/18/quoting-shakespeare-and-speed/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

> It’s always going to be easier to perceive a difference in physical size and weight than it is in speed and resolution. The former two can take advantage of muscle memory (size, in particular) while the latter two often need points of comparison to be truly appreciated.

> That’s why I’d vote for the iPad Air if someone were to ask me what iPad I’d recommend getting if I had to pick only one. To me, it feels like the more impressive upgrade this year and perhaps even more so next year, if a larger screen iPhone were to be unveiled.

*** The Coolest Remote Controlled Toys For Your iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/coolest-remote-controlled-toys-your-iphone-and-ipad>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Slingbox Gets AirPlay, Roku Support And Second-screen Features ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2064307/slingbox-gets-airplay-roku-support-and-second-screen-features.html#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> Version 3.0 of the SlingPlayer iOS app is a major upgrade that runs only on iOS 7. It’s got AirPlay support, so iPhone and iPad users can send video streamed from a Slingbox attached to a remote device to an Apple TV. The only limitation is that, unlike video streaming from many other iOS apps, the Slingbox app will only stream via AirPlay as long as it’s the currently active app. If you want to check your email or Twitter while you’re iPad’s streaming to your TV, the connection will drop.

*** Two Weeks With The iPad Air ***
<http://futurilla.com/latest/2013/11/18/two-weeks-with-the-ipad-air>
Robert Sharl, Futurilla

*** Amy Tan On The Joy Luck Club – Guardian Book Club ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/19/amy-tan-joy-luck-club-guardian-book-club>
Amy Tan, The Guardian

> I could now see what there had been in the flawed 13-page story, with its dozen beginnings and voices. I wrote a new story, this one called "The Joy Luck Club", about a woman whose mother has just died and who regrets that she never knew who she truly was. The stories poured out. They were what I felt and had to say before it was too late. I had found my reason to write.

*** Brilliance Triumphs Over Rejection ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/science/in-love-math-fighting-discrimination-through-numbers.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Amir Alexander, New York Times