[MyAppleMenu] Nov 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 16 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Review: Apple’s Retina iPad Mini Is The Small Tablet We Wanted A Year Ago ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/11/review-apples-retina-ipad-mini-is-the-small-tablet-we-wanted-a-year-ago/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

*** Unibox 1.0 Review: A Welcome, Fresh New Approach To Email On The Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2063349/unibox-1-0-review-a-welcome-fresh-new-approach-to-email-on-the-mac.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

> The program sorts your mail by the person who sent it to you, displaying those contacts in a single list on the left. That leaves the rest of your screen free to display every message from those contacts.

*** Evernote’s New Web Clipper For Safari ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/evernotes-new-web-clipper-for-safari/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> Saving web pages into Evernote is a great way to remember a cool design, highlight an important note, or refer back to a piece of content for later reading, homework, and marketing research in an instantly searchable database.

*** Google Play Music Finally Hits iPhone, Offers One Month All Access Trial ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/11/15/google-play-music-finally-hits-iphone-offers-one-month-access-trial/>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

*** Stop Procrastinating And Focus On The Task At Hand With Procraster ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-procraster/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

> Procraster is a very unique approach to managing your necessary tasks that you keep putting off, and I like the way that it approaches them, by trying to put you at ease over it. It also helps get rid of some stress over big projects by breaking them down into smaller, much more manageable chunks.

*** iTunes Connect Closing December 21 To December 27, No New Apps Or Price Changes That Week ***
<http://www.imore.com/itunes-connect-closing-december-21-december-27-no-new-apps-or-price-changes-week>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Making The Most Of Contacts In Mavericks ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14299?rss>
Alicia Katz Poolock, TidBITS

> Mac OS X’s Contacts application, formerly known as Address Book, receives a fair amount of criticism for being too simplistic. At first glance, this criticism seems true, but as you delve into the program, you discover it has a surprising level of depth, as well as tight integration into the Apple ecosystem.

> Let’s take a look at how to modify the Contacts interface to your liking, manage your contacts, work with contact information, and examine utilities that make up for its shortcomings.

*** The Retina iPad Mini ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/11/the_retina_ipad_mini>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> The iPad Mini has gone retina and provides just a hair less than the full performance of the Air, with no appreciable increase in weight or thickness over last year’s Mini.

*** ‘Five Billion Years Of Solitude: The Search For Life Among The Stars’ By Lee Billings ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-billion-years-of-solitude-the-search-for-life-among-the-stars-by-lee-billings/2013/11/15/9f38892c-3684-11e3-be86-6aeaa439845b_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Mike Brown, Washington Post

> This book is sweeping in scope, from the creation of the coal belts in Pennsylvania to the moving details of a single canoe trip across the Canadian wilderness. In these juxtapositions, Billings performs a brilliant sleight of hand, in which you suddenly find yourself as emotionally connected to the seemingly abstract fate of Earth over the next few eons as you are to the tangible prospects of a husband and father struggling against early cancer.

*** The McRib: Enjoy Your Symptom ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/11/the-mcrib-enjoy-your-symptom/281413/>
Ian Bogost, The Atlantic

> Yet, the McRib’s perversity is not a defect, but a feature. The purpose of the McRib is to make the McNugget seem normal.

*** Designing Men ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2013/11/jony-ive-marc-newson-design-auction>
Paul Goldberger, Vanity Fair

> At Sotheby’s New York this November, the world will get a unique tutorial from two masters of design. Collaborating for the first time, Apple’s Jonathan Ive and his chum, the equally acclaimed Marc Newson, have selected or made more than 40 objects for an auction to benefit Bono’s Product (Red) anti-H.I.V. campaign.

*** Winning <i>The Price Is Right</i> ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/11/winning_the_price_is_right_strategies_for_contestants_row_plinko_and_the.html>
Ben Blatt, Slate