[MyAppleMenu] Nov 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 17 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Managing Tabbed Finder Browsing In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57612643-263/managing-tabbed-finder-browsing-in-os-x-mavericks/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> There are a number of ways to navigate, move files between, and otherwise manage the new Finder tabs in the latest version of OS X.

*** Nike+ FuelBand SE Review ***
<http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/125159-nike-plus-fuelband-se-review>
Stuart Miles, Pocket-lint

> Wearing the Nike+ FuelBand SE really makes you not only sit up and pay attention to how active you are, but encourages you to get up and get moving. Great if you want a springboard to get you active, but also great to help push you on a daily basis.

*** Getting Your Home Movies Into iCloud’s iMovie Theater On Your Apple TV ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/11/16/getting-your-home-movies-into-iclouds-imovie-theater-on-your-apple-tv/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> Using your Apple devices along with the updated iMovie app for iOS and OS X, this walkthrough will outline the steps to take, edit, and share home movies on your AppleTV.

*** Apple’s iBooks Is A Mess ***
<http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/16/apples-ibooks-mess/>
Warner Crocker, Gotta Be Mobile

*** Why This Gay Man Thinks Apple Shouldn't Erase Its Offensive "Gay" Definition ***
<http://www.policymic.com/articles/73767/why-this-gay-man-thinks-apple-shouldn-t-erase-its-offensive-gay-definition>
Andrew Godinich, PolicyMic

> While I can definitely sympathize with this young woman, who doubtless had the best intentions at heart, I emphatically agree with Apple's decision. Erasing a definition is not going to end gay bashing. Words have power. They have history. Whitewashing that history will not contribute to solving the problem of homophobia. In fact, it perpetuates it.

*** Apple 'Amending Offensive Definition Of Gay In Its Dictionaries' ***
<http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=BFC0E08B-0319-4E09-59976AC78E2A15AB>
David Price, Macworld UK

> The second is that, as a general principle, dictionaries are supposed to describe rather than prescribe - it's society's fault that the word gay is used in this undoubtedly hurtful and damaging way, not the dictionary makers'. The dictionary does at least include the label offensive.

*** Apple iPad Mini With Retina Display: Reviewed ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7519/apple-ipad-mini-with-retina-display-reviewed>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

*** Adventures In A Silver Cloud ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/dec/05/adventures-silver-cloud/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Graham Robb, The New York Review Of Books

> Readers of Richard Holmes’s biographies and essays will occasionally have caught glimpses of him in autobiographical vignettes, motorcycling along narrow country lanes or yachting on the North Sea. They will not be surprised to learn, from his history of ballooning, that he himself has made several ascents in a basket attached to a “silken cloud.” Once, he landed in a field of “distinctly inhospitable” pigs in his home county of Norfolk in eastern England; on another occasion, he was a passenger in a balloon whose pilot attempted to land “on the trim lawns of the National Parliament building” in Canberra, “until waved away by a genial security officer who threatened to give us a parking ticket.” Holmes shares the sense of wonder of the balloonists whose “dreamlike stories and romantic adventures” he recounts. He also shares their mischievousness. <i>Falling Upwards</i> opens with a premonitory tableau of the four-year-old Holmes at a village fête. His uncle, an RAF pilot, had tied a helium-filled party balloon to the top button of his aertex shirt: “It tugged me impatiently towards the sky, and I began to feel unsteady on my feet. I felt that I was falling—upwards.”

*** What Does The Book Business Look Like On The Inside? ***
<http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/daniel-menaker-on-publishing-industry-insanity.html?mid=longreads>
Daniel Menaker, Vulture