[MyAppleMenu] Nov 13, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 13 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** iPhones Can Be Hacked While Charging ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/11/12/iphone-hack-while-charging/3505753/>
USA Today

> The solution - don't unlock your phone while charging at a public charging station. Apple has also updated its software to warn you about plugging into unknown USB public charging stations, asking first, if you trust it.

*** iMovie For iOS Review ***
<http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/apps/imovie-ios.aspx>
Cherlynn Low, Laptop Magazine

> iMovie for iOS provides a full-featured suite of tools for beginners who want to further their video-editing skills. The updated app provides a simple and clean interface that's great for newbies, but also offers ample tools for Spielberg wannabes. This is a video-editing app that can grow with you.

*** QuizUp (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427028,00.asp>
Jill Duffy, PC Magazine

> QuizUp is a social iPhone trivia game with an impress array of more than 250 quiz topics that amount to 150,000 questions. You can play against strangers or challenge a friend, and games are fast, wrapping up in about a minute or so.

*** An iPhone Case Hemingway Would Love ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/technology/personaltech/review-pad-and-quills-little-pocket-book-iphone-case.html>
Gregory Schmidt, New York Times

Also:
• <a href="http://www.monstertechblog.com/2013/11/12/pad-quills-beautiful-functional-iphone-55s-wallet-cases/">Pad & Quill's beautiful, functional iPhone 5/5s wallet cases</a> (Monster Tech)
• <a href="http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/the-twelve-south-bookbook-travel-journal-review">The Twelve South BookBook Travel Journal Review</a> (Bryan M. Wolfe, AppAdvice)

*** Apple Dictionary Definition Of 'Gay' Includes 'Stupid,' Student Alerts CEO Tim Cook ***
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-dictionary-definition-gay-includes-stupid-student-alerts/story?id=20864595>
Jon M. Chang, ABC News

> When looking up the definition of the word "gay" on her laptop, she saw that Apple's dictionary also included its informal definition, meaning foolish or stupid.

Shouldn't dictionaries be describing how people are using the words? If many people are using the word 'gay' to mean foolish or stupid, the dictionaries should reflect that.
P.S. <a href="https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=define+gay&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8">Google</a> also includes this definition of 'gay'.

*** Viber 4.0 Released For iOS With Tons Of New Features ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/12/viber-4-0-released-for-ios-with-tons-of-new-features/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** First Look: iPad Mini With Retina Display ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2062787/first-look-ipad-mini-with-retina-display.html#tk.rss_all>
Jason Snell, Macworld

> The iPad Air is slightly faster, has a bigger screen (but not a higher resolution), is larger and heavier, and costs $100 more for the same capacity. Which one’s right for you? It seems to me that the most important parts of the comparison will be screen size (do you want everything just a little bit larger?), physical size (do you want the smallest iPad possible?), and price. I’m not sure where I’m going to come down on those issues, but they seem to be the most important ones.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macstories.net/stories/retina-ipad-mini-first-impressions/">Retina iPad mini: First Impressions</a> (Federico Viticci, MacStories): After spending five hours with the device, I think that the increased weight is noticeable if you pay attention but I believe it’ll disappear after a few days. The best way I can describe it is that, if you really want to feel a weight difference, the new mini feels “dense” in the back – which is probably due to a new weight distribution of components.
• <a href="http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/11/hands-on-with-the-ipad-mini-with-retina-display">Hands on With the iPad mini with Retina Display</a> (David Sparks): The new iPad Mini with retina display is a lot faster than its predecessor. Even doing silly little things like jumping between applications are noticeably quicker. It renders webpages faster, loads complicated applications faster, does Garage Band tracks faster, and generally kicks some serious ass.
• <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/review-ipad-mini-is-pricey-but-brings-top-notch-experience-with-speed-display-improvements/2013/11/12/ac7c2540-4beb-11e3-bf60-c1ca136ae14a_story.html">Review: iPad Mini is pricey, but brings top-notch experience with speed, display improvements</a> (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press): The new device has caught up to the point that it deserves to be called a Mini version of the full-size iPad.

*** Sprite Kit, GLKit, And Scene Kit: How Apple Is Shaping Game Development ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2051345/sprite-kit-glkit-and-scene-kit-how-apple-is-shaping-game-development.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Given the seemingly endless stream of games that land in the App Store, Sprite Kit may seem at first glance to be little more than a curiosity—one of many new features to debut in a new operating system release. In reality, though, it’s part of a long-running strategy that Apple has developed to make iOS a great place for gamers and developers.

*** Securing Your Private Messages With Cryptography Apps And Services For iOS And OS X ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/11/12/securing-your-private-messages-with-cryptography-apps-and-services-for-ios-and-os-x/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> When it comes to secure online communication you can choose to secure the message, protect the identity of the messenger or both. These techniques for iOS and OS X devices will help ensure that your message gets to its intended recipient, and only that recipient.

*** Apple By The Numbers: Mac Not Dead Yet ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2062821/apple-by-the-numbers-mac-not-dead-yet.html>
Ian Paul, Macworld

*** With Pixelmator 3.0, Who Needs Photoshop? ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/with-pixelmator-3-0-who-needs-photoshop/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** The Craziest Things You Can Plug Into Your iPhone's Audio Jack ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/11/the-craziest-things-you-can-plug-into-your-iphones-audio-jack/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> The 3.5mm jack on your iPhone is lovingly referred to as the "headphone jack," because that's what the overwhelming majority of us use it for. But the diminutive port has other uses as well, and there are some pretty crazy things you can do with it. Here are some of the strangest accessories that can be plugged into that otherwise unremarkable hole on your iPhone.

*** Hatching Twitter By Nick Bilton – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/13/hatching-twitter-nick-bilton-review>
Oliver Burkeman, The Guardian