[MyAppleMenu] Nov 12, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 12 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Apple Stealthily Begins Taking Orders For iPad Mini With Retina Display ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2062251/apple-stealthily-begins-taking-orders-for-ipad-mini-with-retina-display.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff and Philip Michaels, Macworld

> As of early Tuesday morning, Apple’s U.S. online store listed ship times of one to three days for the 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi models. The 64GB and 128GB Wi-Fi iPad minis, and all configurations of the cellular-equipped tablets, will ship in five to ten business days, according to Apple’s online store. Those ship times are likely to slip as Apple's initial supply dwindles.

*** GarageBand 2.0 For iOS Review: More Tracks, A Few Tweaks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2061255/garageband-2-0-for-ios-review-more-tracks-a-few-tweaks.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> GarageBand for iOS is much greater for the addition of more tracks, inter-app compatibility, iCloud sync and AirDrop sharing, and a more flexible Sampler instrument. With version 2.0, it remains one of the musical stars of the iOS firmament.

*** 7 Apps For Ordering Photo Prints From Your Phone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2062433/7-apps-for-ordering-photo-prints-from-your-phone.html#tk.rss_all>
Susie Ochs, Macworld

> These seven apps tap into your phone’s photo library to let you order prints and other photo products, either to arrive in the mail, or to be picked up at a local store.

*** Apple Releases Xcode 5.0.2, Fixes iOS Simulator Hang ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/11/apple-releases-xcode-5-0-2-fixes-ios-simulator-hang/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> If you're an iOS developer, you'll be happy to hear Apple has apparently fixed that nasty iOS Simulator hang bug that quite a few people were complaining about.

*** “It’s Just A Big iPod Touch” ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/11/ipad-air-my-mom-keyboards/>
MG Siegler, TechCrunch

> My mother is a common user. All she wants to do is pin things on Pinterest, post things on Facebook, and send some emails. She wants convenience, portability, and simplicity. And she’s iPad-only.

*** Promised Pebble Update Arrives Bringing All Notifications To iOS 7 Users ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/promised-pebble-update-arrives-bringing-all-notifications-to-ios-7-users>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** Five Years In The App Store ***
<http://david-smith.org/blog/2013/11/08/five-years-in-the-app-store/>
David Smith

> So here I am. Five years from when I first launched in the App Store. I consider myself incredibly blessed to be able to do what I do. To call writing apps full time my “job” is a dream.

*** Tweetbot 3.1 Brings Text Size Controls, Timeline Switcher, Quick Actions ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/tweetbot-3-1-brings-text-size-controls-timeline-switcher-quick-actions/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Mail In Mavericks: Is It Safe Yet? ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14287?rss>
Joe Kissell, TidBITS

> If you were holding off on upgrading to Mavericks because of the Mail problems, all I can say is that it’s safer now than it was at first. I can’t guarantee you a trouble-free experience, and without a doubt, some people upgrading from Mountain Lion will feel the new version of Mail is a distinct downgrade. It all depends on how you use Mail, and as we’ve seen, each person approaches it a bit differently from the next.

*** D. H. Lawrence Possessed ***
<http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1336760.ece>
Seamus Perry, The Times Literary Supplement

> I t is so manifestly an excellent thing to have Lawrence’s many poems brought together, edited by so punctilious and expert a scholar – and to have them presented in handsome volumes that do such credit to their publisher – that it feels the keener ingratitude to admit that the experience of reading them all through is, well, a bit of a slog. Mildly reassuring, then, to learn that D. J. Enright felt a similar mixture of gratitude and weariness when he reviewed the edition of Vivian de Sola Pinto and Warren Roberts (1964) which these volumes now triumphantly supplant.

*** Apple Maps: How Google Lost When Everyone Thought It Had Won ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-users>
Charles Arthur, The Guardian