[MyAppleMenu] Nov 11, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 11 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Sit, Ubu, Sit: 7 Free Apps For Training Your New Puppy ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2055382/sit-ubu-sit-7-free-apps-for-training-your-new-puppy.html#tk.rss_all>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, TechHive

*** Numbers 2.0 For iOS Review: Screen Size Does Matter With Apple's Spreadsheet App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2061963/numbers-2-0-for-ios-review-screen-size-does-matter-with-apples-spreadsheet-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> While you can certainly do nearly everything you can with the desktop version, I quickly found that the lack of a real keyboard and minimal screen real estate led to a lot of tapping and jumping about to get things laid out properly.

*** Numbers 3.0 Review: Interface Update Promotes Desktop-device Integration ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2061904/numbers-3-0-review-interface-update-promotes-desktop-device-integration.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> While the overall interface looks much cleaner than the old version’s, functionality and ease of use have both taken a big hit. Would new users feel this way? Perhaps not, but they would probably still puzzle over some of these design decisions.

*** Update To Twitterific 5 Adds New Layouts For User Profiles And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/update-twitterific-5-adds-new-layouts-user-profiles-and-more>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Review: iDevice-Powered Writing Has Never Been Easier Thanks To Livescribe 3 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/review-idevice-powered-writing-has-never-been-easier-thanks-to-livescribe-3>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** How To Choose: 13-Inch MacBook Air Vs. 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/how-to-choose-13-inch-macbook-air-vs-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro/>
Casey Johnston, Ars Technica

> When the configurations match up in price, the MacBook Air is difficult to justify when the Pro is in the picture. That is, unless you happen to be the type of user for whom extreme portability and a few extra hours on top of an already-long battery life trump performance. For my uses, the value proposition of the Pro makes it the better buy.

*** Apple Finds Surprising Growth Market In Japan ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304672404579185940386164788>
Daisuke Wakabayashi and Mayumi Negishi, Wall Street Journal

> In the past two years, Japan has emerged as Apple's fastest-growing region, far outpacing its home market and the booming economies of Greater China and the rest of Asia. Japan is also home to Apple's biggest profit margins, and the only one of Apple's five regions where operating profit grew in the past fiscal year.

*** Switching From Windows To Mac: What I Learned ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/11/10/switching-windows-mac-learned/>
Owen Williams, The Next Web

> For a long time I thought it was the best choice of platform simply because purchasing a Mac seemed to be extortionately expensive compared with buying a PC desktop or laptop. I was wrong.

*** iMovie 2.0 For iPhone And iPad Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/imovie-20-iphone-and-ipad-review>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** New iWork: Another Missed Opportunity To Set Expectations ***
<http://www.mondaynote.com/2013/11/10/new-iwork-another-missed-opportunity-to-set-expectations/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

> Bad News First, Calibrate Expectations. One would think that (finally!) the Maps snafu would have seared this simple logic into the minds of the Apple execs.

> But, no.

*** The Nazi Anatomists ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/history/2013/11/nazi_anatomy_history_the_origins_of_conservatives_anti_abortion_claims_that.html?src=longreads>
Emily Bazelon, Slate

> How the corpses of Hitler's victims are still haunting modern science—and American abortion politics.

*** Apple iBeacons: What Are They And What Do They Mean For Retail? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2013/nov/11/apple-ibeacons-retail>
Simon Baldwin, The Guardian

> NFC has struggled because it de-personalises any transaction, isn't wholly trusted and is little understood (hands up who has heard of NFC outside the industry's techies?). It also requires the cooperation of the credit card companies to make it work. Crucially, the iBeacon doesn't. All you'll need is an Apple account. You can bank on it.

*** Find The Bad Guy ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/11/18/131118fi_fiction_eugenides?mbid=social_retweet>
Jeffrey Eugenides, New Yorker

*** Lee Harvey Oswald Was My Friend ***