[MyAppleMenu] Nov 5, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 5 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Target Offering $200 Gift Card For iPad Trade-in, Including First Generation ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/04/target-offering-200-gift-card-for-ipad-trade-in-including-first-generation/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** How Mac Experts Set Up Their Desktops ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2055458/how-mac-experts-set-up-their-desktops.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Everyone uses a different desktop setup. And it’s interesting to learn how other folks use their Macs, because it might influence how you do things.

I am trying a new experiment with Mavericks. Because the dock's indicator light is so hard to see with my old eyes, I've hidden the dock and rely mainly on <a href="http://www.alfredapp.com">Alfred</a> to launch and switch apps. The only two "apps" that I keep permanently on the Dock are Mission Control and an applescript to launch the screensaver. (I never liked Hot Corners.)
(Oh, and I do keep the Dock on the right hand side of the screen.)

*** Apple Updates AirPort Utility App With Support For 64-Bit A7 Processor ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/apple-updates-airport-utility-app-with-support-for-64-bit-a7-processor>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Nike Launches M7-Powered Nike+ Move App, Releases Nike+ FuelBand 2.0 For iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/nike-launches-m7-powered-nike-move-app-releases-nike-fuelband-2-0-for-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple’s Remote And iOS 7 Design ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/apples-remote-and-ios-7-design/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> The new app doesn't come with groundbreaking new features but it's got some iOS 7 design decisions worth pointing out.

*** Keynote 6.0 For OS X Review: Apple's Presentation Tool Wins Some, Loses Some ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059742/keynote-6-0-for-os-x-review-apples-presentation-tool-wins-some-loses-some.html#tk.rss_all>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

> On the one hand, Keynote offers useful new features, a reimagined user interface, and vastly improved compatibility and consistency across platforms. On the other hand, numerous features from the previous version of Keynote are gone, which can wreak havoc with older presentations that relied on them.

*** Woof For iPhone Is Like Facebook, For Your Dog! ***
<http://www.imore.com/woof-iphone-facebook-your-dog>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you like to spam your friends with photos of your canine companion on your own Facebook or Twitter page, Woof for iPhone may be the perfect app for you.

*** Apple Adds Internet-free Dictation To Mavericks ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/05/apple-adds-internet-free-dictation-to-mavericks/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Mavericks users will now find what Apple calls 'enhanced dictation', and if you turn it on you'll need to download about an 800 MB file that makes your speech recognition local rather than server based. No training is needed, once you have the files it works right away, and I found the recognition quick and accurate.

*** LastPass Password Manager iOS App Gets Simplified UI & Family Logins ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/05/lastpass-password-manager-ios-app-gets-simplified-ui-family-logins/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Paid users also get access to a new Shared Family Folder, allowing up to five users to get shared access to joint logins.

*** Apple To Buy Vacant Mesa Building, Bring 2,000 Jobs To Valley ***
<http://www.azcentral.com/business/arizonaeconomy/articles/20131104apple-supplier-operate-plant-mesa.html>
Azcentral.com

> The factory will be run by GT Advanced Technologies Inc., a company that supplies components for some of Apple’s tech products. The plant will employ about 700 people and require about 1,300 workers to build, officials said.

*** Updated Skype For iOS Improves Startup Time, iOS 7 Tweak ***
<http://www.imore.com/updated-skype-ios-improves-startup-time-0>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Mr. Ludo Combines A Classic Board Game And Office Work Into One Charming iOS Game ***
<http://www.imore.com/mr-ludo-board-game-makes-office-work-fun>
Paul Acevedo, iMore

> This particular take still offers the time-honored and simple gameplay that many of us experienced as children, but dresses it up with a clever office-based theme and both local and online multiplayer for up to four players.

*** New ProductiveMacs Bundle Offers Mac Gems On The Cheap ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2060499/new-productivemacs-bundle-offers-mac-gems-on-the-cheap.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Hands-on: Apple's Remote App Gets An iOS 7 Makeover ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2060681/hands-on-apples-remote-app-gets-an-ios-7-makeover.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Slowly but steadily, Apple has been updating its miscellaneous iOS apps to reflect the new design aesthetic of iOS 7. The latest to go under the digital knife is Remote, the app that turns your iOS device into a remote control for iTunes libraries on your Macs and PCs as well as for your Apple TVs.

*** iPad Air Review ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062826/apple-ipad-air-review>
Nilay Patel, The Verge

*** Review: Apple’s iPad Air Is A Big Tablet Without All The Baggage ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/11/review-apples-ipad-air-is-a-big-tablet-without-all-the-baggage/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Apple's new tablet is an embiggened version of the perfectly cromulent iPad mini.

*** A Traitor To His Class? Such Good Fun ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/books/david-letterman-scold-of-the-0-1-percent.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Dave Itzkoff, New York Times

> David Letterman is not only an author of “This Land Was Made for You and Me (but Mostly Me),” a new humor book he created with Bruce McCall. He is also a target of its pointed populist satire, and he knows it.

*** The Sky May Be Filled With Earth-like Planets ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/04/earth_like_exoplanets_planets_like_ours_may_be_very_common.html>
Phil Plait, Slate

> When I was a lad, we knew of nine planets. Now we have thousands, and a good idea of how many of them may turn out to be similar to our own. It seems inevitable to me that the day will come when we can take the next step, and determine which of these have life. Given these numbers, and how easily life arose on Earth, it also seems inevitable that those planets exist. We just have to find them. That’s still a Herculean task, and will require vast effort, but one well worth undertaking.

*** Notes From A Bookshop: Early Autumn, Or Winter’s Coming ***
<http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2013/11/01/notes-from-a-bookshop-early-autumn-or-winters-coming/>
Kelly McMasters, The Paris Review