[MyAppleMenu] Nov 6, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 6 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Apple Implements 'Managed Distribution', Volume Purchase Program For Mac Apps ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/05/apple-implements-managed-distribution-volume-purchase-program-for-mac-apps/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

*** Daily Mac App: PDF Reader X Is A Lightweight, Tabbed PDF Reader With Some Annotation Features ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/05/daily-mac-app-pdf-reader-x-is-a-lightweight-pdf-reader-with-som/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** iTunes iOS Syncing Gone? Solve It With Server! ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2061183/itunes-ios-syncing-gone-solve-it-with-server-.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> My $20 suggestion is that you set up local CardDAV and CalDAV servers for syncing contacts and events respectively. With such servers you can easily sync your contacts and calendar events between your Mac and iOS devices over your wireless network without a lot of bother. In fact, the bother is all in configuring Mac OS X Mavericks Server, which you can purchase from the Mac App Store. Here’s how to perform each configuration.

*** Safari 7.0 For Mavericks Review: Apple Web Browser Offers New Features And Saves Battery ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/?reviewid=3480959&olo=rss>
Mark Hattersley, Macworld UK

*** PlainText Note-Taking App Goes 2.0 For iOS 7, Finally Gains iCloud Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/plaintext-note-taking-app-goes-2-0-for-ios-7-finally-gains-icloud-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** The State Of AppleScript: Let's Not Panic ... Yet ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2058705/the-state-of-applescript-lets-not-panic-yet.html#tk.rss_all>
Ben Waldie, Macworld

> In fact, AppleScript even received some healthy updates of its own in Mavericks, including Notification Center support, iCloud support, code signing of script apps, the ability to create script libraries, and more. Translation: Apple is still investing time and resources in AppleScript’s advancement. Sure, more could be done, like providing full scripting support in iWork, but the fact that AppleScript is still advancing does bode well for the technology itself.

*** iWork '13: Dumbed Down Or Smart Move? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2059224/iwork-13-dumbed-down-or-smart-move-.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

*** iTunes 11.1.3 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14276?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Apple’s release notes promise that the update will improve performance when switching views within large iTunes libraries, as well as fix an issue with the equalizer.

*** Popular Photo-Editing App Afterlight Turns 1 With iOS 7 Redesign And New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/popular-photo-editing-app-afterlight-turns-1-with-ios-7-redesign-and-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Takes Apple Store App Passbook Gift Card Integration International ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/05/apple-takes-apple-store-app-passbook-gift-card-integration-international-2/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Researcher Skepticism Grows Over badBIOS Malware Claims ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/researcher-skepticism-grows-over-badbios-malware-claims/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Five days after Ars chronicled a security researcher's three-year odyssey investigating a mysterious piece of malware he dubbed badBIOS, some of his peers say they are still unable to reproduce his findings.

> "I am getting increasingly skeptical due to the lack of evidence," fellow researcher Arrigo Triulzi told Ars after examining forensic data that Ruiu has turned over. "So either I am not as good as people say or there is really nothing."

*** Apple Takes Strong Privacy Stance In New Report, Publishes Rare “Warrant Canary” ***
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/11/apple-takes-strong-privacy-stance-in-new-report-publishes-rare-warrant-canary/>
Cyrus Farivar, Ars Technica

> Warrant canaries work like this: a company publishes a notice saying that a warrant has not been served as of a particular date. Should that notice be taken down, users are to surmise that the company has indeed been served with one. The theory is that while a court can compel someone to not speak (a gag order), it cannot compel someone to lie. The only problem is that warrant canaries have yet to be fully tested in court.

*** Google Search iOS App Gets Massive Update W/ ‘OK Google’ Handsfree Voice Search, Notifications, Reminders, Much More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/05/google-search-ios-app-gets-massive-update-w-notifications-reminders-new-cards-handsfree-voice-search-much-more/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Report On Government Information Requests ***
<http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/131105reportongovernmentinforequests2.pdf>
Apple

> We believe that our customers have a right to understand how their personal information is handled, and we consider it our responsibility to provide them with the best privacy protections available. Apple has prepared this report on the requests we receive from governments seeking information about individual users or devices in the interest of transparency for our customers around

> the world.

> This report provides statistics on requests related to customer accounts as well as those related to specific devices. We have reported all the information we are legally allowed to share, and Apple will continue to advocate for greater transparency about the requests we receive.

(Note: Link goes to a PDF document.)

*** Out Of The Picture: Why The World's Best Photo Startup Is Going Out Of Business ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/5/5039216/everpix-life-and-death-inside-the-worlds-best-photo-startup>
Casey Newton, The Verge

> Everpix was great. This is how it died.

*** Jeeves And The Wedding Bells By Sebastian Faulks – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/06/jeeves-wedding-bells-sebastian-faulks-review>
Sophie Ratcliffe, The Guardian