[MyAppleMenu] Nov 4, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 4 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Clear+ For iPad, iPhone Review - iOS 7 Only Note-taking App Impresses ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3476929&olo=rss>
Nick Spence, Macworld UK

> Clear+ allows users to create any sort of list that you might find useful, from the aspirational - planning dreams - to the more routine and frankly boring - shopping, paying bills and such like. Each item is colour coded, the most important highlighted at the top of your stack of lists, in a manner that some have likened to the colour blocks seen on Windows smartphones. Whatever, it's a good look, one that is easy to read and act upon, helped by a simple onscreen guide available at first launch.

*** Shelf Control: McDonald's Introduces Interactive Happy Meal Books To McPlay App ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/shelf-control-mcdonalds-introduces-interactive-happy-meal-books-to-mcplay-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** How To Negotiate Better Apple Pricing For Your Business ***
<http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/how-to-negotiate-better-apple-pricing-for-your-business/>
Angus Kidman, Lifehacker

> Your best path for feedback to Apple may be signing up with a large reseller. “Apple’s channel partners are very influential with Apple,” Sullivan said. However, even then there’s a catch.” Apple are merciless when it comes to firing them — it’s a ‘one strike, you’re out’ deal.”

*** Workplace Equality Is Good For Business ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/SB10001424052702304527504579172302377638002-lMyQjAxMTAzMDAwMjEwNDIyWj>
Tim Cook, Wall Street Journal

> Those who have suffered discrimination have paid the greatest price for this lack of legal protection. But ultimately we all pay a price. If our coworkers cannot be themselves in the workplace, they certainly cannot be their best selves. When that happens, we undermine people's potential and deny ourselves and our society the full benefits of those individuals' talents.

> So long as the law remains silent on the workplace rights of gay and lesbian Americans, we as a nation are effectively consenting to discrimination against them.

> Congress should seize the opportunity to strike a blow against such intolerance by approving the Employment Nondiscrimination Act.

*** Flamingo For Mac Brings Hangouts, Facebook Chat, And XMPP Together In One Beautiful Chat Client ***
<http://www.imore.com/flamingo-mac-brings-hangouts-facebook-chat-and-xmpp-together-one-beautiful-chat-client>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Write For iPhone And Write For iPad Both Updated With Major Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/write-for-iphone-and-write-for-ipad-both-updated-with-major-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple’s iCloud Keychain: It Works, But With Frustrating Limitations ***
<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/apples-icloud-keychain-it-works-but-its-limitations-are-frustrating/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> The short version is that iCloud Keychain does a good job of automatically entering passwords in websites on Apple's Safari browser, both with iOS devices and Macs. It does not work with any third-party browsers on OS X or iOS. It cannot fill in passwords on an iOS app unless the developer of that app has done some legwork to integrate with iCloud Keychain. Worse, it stores the passwords in an inconvenient location on iOS, making it hard to copy and paste passwords for those cases when iCloud Keychain can't automatically fill them in.

*** iOS 7 Calendar Display Bug For End Of DST Hits USA ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/03/ios-7-calendar-display-bug-for-end-of-dst-hits-usa/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

> Although alarms and reminders trigger as they should (on the new schedule), the "red line" current time indicator in the Calendar app is showing one hour later than it should (old time).

*** Henri Lamiraux, Apple’s Top iOS Engineering Vice President, Leaves Company After 23 Years ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/03/henri-lamiraux-apples-top-ios-engineering-vice-president-leaves-company/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Big New Yorker Book Of Cats ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/10/the-big-new-yorker-book-of-cats.html>
Anthony Lane, New Yorker

> To anyone entering the offices of <i>The New Yorker</i> for the first time, whether as a casual visitor or as an inmate facing a long sentence, the greatest surprise is not the dearth of raised voices, the hush where the live band ought to be, or the lack of a decently stocked bar. It is the want of a cat. I mean, look at the place. There are cubicles, closets, half-empty bookshelves, tops of filing cabinets, laptops, and laps that are crying out for a shorthair. Why the post has not been advertised, let alone filled, is hard to fathom. Ideal candidates should be sleek, seductive, quick of tongue, slow to wrath, and, above all, nonhuman. They should aim, wherever possible, to be as self-combing as most of the writers; expert groomers, in the editorial department, are on hand to unpick any remaining knots. Fur balls, like dangling participles, are not welcome. Milk is in the fridge.

*** Book Review: ‘The Abominable,’ By Dan Simmons ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-the-abominable-by-dan-simmons/2013/11/03/2395cca2-3c11-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html?tid=hpModule_1f58c93a-8a7a-11e2-98d9-3012c1cd8d1e>
Victor LaValle, Washington Post