[MyAppleMenu] Nov 3, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 3 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Smurfs' Village Celebrates Its 3Rd Anniversary With New Smurftastic Update ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/11/smurfs-village-celebrates-its-3rd-anniversary-with-new-smurftastic-update>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Napkin 1.1.1 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14265?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** Apple iPad Air ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426674,00.asp>
Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

> I have mixed feelings about the bottom-ported stereo speakers. If you're listening to music with the iPad flat on a table, it's much louder than competing tablets with back-ported speakers. But if you're playing a game or video while holding the tablet in landscape mode, all of the sound pumps out of one side.

*** Review: Apple's Late-2013 13-Inch MacBook Pro With Retina Display ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/02/review-apples-late-2013-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> The real difference with Apple's latest MacBook Pro models is what's on the inside. Namely, Intel's latest-generation Haswell processors, which boost performance and battery life.

*** iPad Air Delivers 24 Hours Of Battery Life As LTE Hotspot ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7477/ipad-air-delivers-24-hours-of-battery-life-as-lte-hotspot>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

> A total of 24.08 hours and over 8GB of transfers later, the iPad Air finally died. Just like last time, you'll likely burn through your monthly data allotment before you run out of power.

*** On The Pathological Way Apple Deals With Its Customers ***
<http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/65697513808/on-the-pathological-way-apple-deals-with-its-customers>
Lawrence Lessig

> For example, if the problem I have confronted with Mail.app using Gmail (which I describe more below) is something Apple considers a bug, then I’m willing to live with it for a while till Apple fixes it. If it isn’t a bug, but is a feature (insanely but whatever), then I will spend the time (and incredible bandwidth waste) to deal with the problem in the way the Apple volunteers suggest — either by changing the way Gmail works, or getting a new mail application.

> So in a line, it is indecent for Apple to sit by silently while its customers waste thousands of hours (in the aggregate) trying to deal with the problems its “upgrades” create, when the simple act of describing what it intends to fix could save its customers those thousands of hours.

*** Studying Chinese To Reach His Parents ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/learning-chinese-to-fix-the-language-barrier-that-leaves-parents-and-son-near-strangers/2013/10/22/f2438c1a-fb7f-11e2-8752-b41d7ed1f685_story.html?src=longreads>
Patrick Marion Bardley, Washington Post

> At first mention of the language barrier, it doesn’t strike me what he’s actually saying. It’s an almost foreign concept: his having real trouble just talking with his parents. But it’s the heart of his story, a story about the isolating power of a lost mother tongue and an education spent retrieving it.

*** When Privacy Is Theft ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/nov/21/eggers-circle-when-privacy-is-theft/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Margaret Atwood, The New York Review Of Books

> The outpouring of ideas is central to <i>The Circle</i>, as it is in part a novel of ideas. What sort of ideas? Ideas about the social construction and deconstruction of privacy, and about the increasing corporate ownership of privacy, and about the effects such ownership may have on the nature of Western democracy. Dissemination of information is power, as the old yellow-journalism newspaper proprietors knew so well. What is withheld can be as potent as what is disclosed, and who can lie publicly and get away with it is determined by gatekeepers: thus, in the Internet age, code-owners have the keys to the kingdom.

*** Brandon Stanton's New York Stories ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/nov/03/brandon-stanton-humans-of-new-york-pictures>
Corinne Jones, The Guardian

> His travels came to an end in New York when he realised he'd found a project. "I saw all these people; this diversity, this density, and New York was perfectly suited to the type of street photography I'd fallen into."

*** The Long Evenings Of Their Leavetakings ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/02/long-evenings-leavetakings-eavan-boland-poem>
Eavan Boland, The Guardian