[MyAppleMenu] Nov 2, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 2 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Google Maps Get Updated For iOS 7, Adds Transit Features ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/01/google-maps-get-updated-for-ios-7-adds-transit-features/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

*** T-Mobile CEO Says Free 200MB Of iPad Data Has ‘No Strings Attached’, $10/Month Charges Were Error ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/t-mobile-ceo-says-free-200mb-of-ipad-data-has-no-strings-attached-10month-charges-were-error/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** #badBIOS Features Explained ***
<http://blog.erratasec.com/2013/10/badbios-features-explained.html#.UnRUj5FKNlI>
Robert Graham, Errata Security

> Dan Goodin at Ars Technica has reported on Dragos Ruiu's "badBIOS" analysis. I thought I'd explain how some of this stuff works.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.rootwyrm.com/2013/11/the-badbios-analysis-is-wrong/">The badBIOS Analysis Is Wrong.</a> (RootWyrm's Corner)

*** Lucida Grande “Retina-optimized” In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://blog.justanotherfoundry.com/2013/10/lucida-grande-retina-optimized-in-os-x-mavericks/>
Tim Ahrens, Just Another Blog

> I’m glad to see this update as it shows Apple still takes typography seriously. Although like most designers, I don’t like the use of Helvetica as a UI font in iOS, there are also promising font-related developments. While small tweaks like the ones we looked at here may seem nearly insignificant, it shows there are efforts to improve type in Apples OSes.

*** Marked 2: A Must-Have For Markdown Writers ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14250?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Marked’s powerful formatting and export options take us closer to the day when human-readable, plain text markup languages may largely supplant machine-readable, proprietary file formats for everyday uses.

*** Rockstar, Patent-Holding Firm Partially Owned By Apple And Microsoft, Sues Google And Android Handset Makers ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/11/rockstar_suit>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> Google started filing lawsuits based on Motorola patents long before Rockstar filed this suit.

*** iPad Air Teardown ***
<http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad+Air+Teardown/18907>
IFixIt

*** Confirmed: Apple & Best Buy Will Price Match Walmart’s $479 iPad Air Deal In Stores (Staples Too) ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/01/confirmed-apple-best-buy-will-price-match-walmarts-479-ipad-air-deal-in-stores/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple and Best Buy are still charging the suggested $499 price tag for the entry iPad Air through their online stores, so you’ll have to head to a physical retail location for the $20 discount.

*** The Man Who Invented The Calendar ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2013/11/04/131104sh_shouts_novak?currentPage=all>
B.J. Novak, New Yorker