[MyAppleMenu] Jun 27, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 27 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** NoteSuite For iPad And Mac Is Your All-in-one Digital Notebook ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/27/notesuite-for-ipad-and-mac-is-your-all-in-one-digital-notebook-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

> NoteSuite features note taking, task management, PDF viewing and annotation, and Office document management all in a single app creating one digital briefcase.

*** How To Improve Mac Security ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/?newsid=3454926&olo=rss>
Keir Thomas, Macworld UK

> Mac OS X is inherently secure, but there are a handful of steps you can take to tighten things even further.

*** Skype For iPhone & iPad Updated With Free & Unlimited Video Messaging, Improvements To Audio/video Calls ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/27/skype-for-iphone-ipad-updated-with-free-unlimited-video-messaging-improvements-to-audiovideo-calls/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Review: Elegant, Flexible Timer Gives Your iPhone Multiple Timers ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040765/review-elegant-flexible-timer-gives-your-iphone-multiple-timers.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> This easy-to-use app offers a slew of configurable timers (15 on an iPhone 5 or fifth-generation iPod touch, 12 on older devices) so you always have the right timer for a particular activity—steeping tea, cooking pizza, working out, you name it—at your fingertips.

*** New Livestream App Lets You Discover, Experience And Broadcast Live Events ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/new-livestream-app-lets-you-search-and-discover-todays-hottest-live-events>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Livestream has recently launched a new live video streaming platform. And to maintain a consistent user experience, it has also released a vastly upgraded app for iOS.

*** Foodspotting 4.0 Introduces Food Camera To Help You Take Mouthwatering Photos ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/foodspotting-4-0-introduces-food-camera-to-help-you-take-mouthwatering-photos>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> With Food Camera in Foodspotting 4.0, you can now take and compare multiple photos of a dish, or choose multiple photos from the gallery for comparison.

*** Review: Hotwire Travels To iPad With Intuitive App ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/27/review-hotwire-the-discount-travel-site-comes-to-ipad-with-intuitive-app/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

> The iPad app is very simple to use. From the start screen of the app, a user can input either their current location or another location where they want to travel, check-in/check-out dates, a number of rooms and guests, and tap a single button to immediately search for matching hotels.

*** Tools We Use: The Best Mac Apps For Working Remotely ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042503/tools-we-use-the-best-mac-apps-for-working-remotely.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Here are the Mac apps and web-based tools I use to make working from home <i>work</i>.

*** Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS Solutions For Mac And iOS Users ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043053/bye-bye-google-reader-alternative-rss-solutions-for-mac-and-ios-users.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

*** Review: Nine Batteries For Charging Your iPad (And Everything Else) ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042742/review-nine-batteries-for-charging-your-ipad-and-everything-else.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith, Macworld

> We recently put nine such devices through their paces and found that while all could help in a pinch, only one could provide a full recharge of a fourth-generation iPad.

*** Apple Spells Out iTunes Radio Terms For Record Labels ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/26/apple-spells-out-itunes-radio-terms-for-record-labels/>
Hannah Karp And Jessica E. Lessin, Wall Street Journal

> Ahead of its launch of an online radio service Apple circulated terms to independent record labels last week, many of them more generous to the music companies than what rival Pandora Media currently pays.

> During iTunes Radio’s first year, Apple will pay a label 0.13 cents each time a song is played, as well as 15% of net advertising revenue, proportionate to a given label’s share of the music played on iTunes. In the second year, that bumps up to 0.14 cents per listen, plus 19% of ad revenue.

*** iOS 7: Catch Me If You Can ***
<http://www.allenpike.com/2013/ios7-catch-me-if-you-can/>
Allen Pike

> The hairlines and flourescent colours are trendy and easy to copy. On the other hand, bringing to life these blurs, animations, and dynamics with HTML and JavaScript isn’t yet possible. You need the latest hardware and the most efficient software to make something feel like this. Further, you need thoughtful APIs so developers can take it to its full potential. In short, the browser vendors have their work cut out for them.

*** 'Where's My Mickey' Brings Disney's Beloved Mouse, All New Adventure ***
<http://www.imore.com/wheres-my-mickey-now-available-app-store>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Vue 11.5 Infinite Review ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3454698&olo=rss>
Duncan Evans, Macworld UK

> The biggest name in 3D digital nature gets another update.

*** Can Apple Read Your iMessages? Ars Deciphers “End-to-end” Crypto Claims ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/can-apple-read-your-imessages-ars-deciphers-end-to-end-crypto-claims/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> But even if you don't store iMessages in iCloud, there are almost certainly other ways Apple could decrypt them if it wanted to. That's because Apple acts as a directory look-up service that iMessage apps can use to find the public key belonging to the person receiving a message. The integrity of the entire system rests on Apple distributing the right public key for the right person. The ease in resetting passwords already suggests Apple has little trouble generating new user credentials. And there doesn't appear to be any warnings or dialogs displayed when the public key of a receiver has changed.

*** DOMA’s Demise Celebrated By Apple, Other Top Tech Firms ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130626/domas-demise-celebrated-by-apple-other-top-tech-firms/?mod=atd_homepage_carousel>
Mike Isaac, All Things D

> “Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue. We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today,” an Apple spokesman told AllThingsD in a statement.

*** Apple Details New iOS 7 Features For Business, Education ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043020/apple-details-new-ios-7-features-for-business-education.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> For example, App Store license management gives users at both businesses and education institutions the ability to provide apps to users via Apple’s App Store Volume Purchase Program, while letting the organization maintain control over app licenses; that way, the organization can revoke the apps at a later date, or reassign them to other students and employees. Personal Apple IDs can be enrolled in the program, and don’t have to be provided to the business or school.

*** My Gay Dad Dreamed Of This Day ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/06/the_supreme_court_and_gay_marriage_i_wish_my_gay_father_had_lived_to_see.html>
Alysia Abbott, Slate

> I was raised by a single, gay father in the 1970s. I wish he had lived to see the Supreme Court's decision.

*** Evolve With Me ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/06/supreme_court_and_gay_marriage_the_crucial_history_lesson_behind_the_ruling.html>
Nathaniel Frank, Slate

> As of today, a majority of Americans, and a majority of the Supreme Court, have recognized this essential humanity of gay people. If history is any guide, their numbers will only grow.

*** Taking The Cake ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article06261301.aspx>
Sara Davis, The Smart Set

> A reverse chronological history of the wedding feast centerpiece.

*** Civilized Liars And Cheats: 'Bobcat And Other Stories' By Rebecca Lee ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/books/bobcat-and-other-stories-by-rebecca-lee.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Janet Maslin, New York Times