[MyAppleMenu] Jun 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 26 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Perfect Photo Suite 7.5 Review ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3454696&olo=rss>
Duncan Evans, Macworld UK

> The all-in-one suite for enhancing photos gets a makeover and some new tools to deal with problem areas.

*** Mr. Reader Prepares For Life After Google Reader With Newly Released Version 2.0 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/mr-reader-prepares-for-life-after-google-reader-with-newly-released-version-2-0>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Mr. Reader has just received its 2.0 update, which brings support for several Google Reader replacements, namely: BazQux Reader, Feedbin, FeedHQ, Feedly, Feed Wrangler, and Fever.

*** Apple Expands East In Europe As It Launches Its Online Retail Store In Russia ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/26/apple-expands-east-in-europe-as-it-launches-its-online-retail-store-in-russia/>
Jon Russell, The Next Web

> Apple has launched its online store in Russia, meaning that Apple fans among the country’s 140 million population can buy iPhones, iPads, iPods, Macbooks and other Apple products and accessories direct from the company online.

*** Mac Gems: Photo+ Simplifies And Streamlines Photo Viewing ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042274/mac-gems-photo-simplifies-and-streamlines-photo-viewing.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> ArcSoft Photo+ simplifies and streamlines the process of viewing photos. It’s handy when used alongside programs like iPhoto for deciding which photos to keep as favorites or which to use in an albums or cards. And though it doesn’t include complex editing tools, the app makes it easy enough to send your photos to the image editor of your choice.

*** Fuse Is The App That Creates One Feed To Rule All Your Social Networks ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/25/fuse-is-the-app-that-creates-one-feed-to-rule-all-your-social-ne/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> The app aggregates your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn feeds into one updating master list.

*** Dropbox For iOS Gets New Swipe, Share Features ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/25/dropbox-for-ios-gets-new-swipe-share-features/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The most noticeable new feature of Dropbox 2.3 is the ability to swipe on any file or folder to reveal a host of options for it, including the ability to share, move, delete, or favorite the item. Another great new feature is the ability to create a new folder in your Dropbox right on your iOS device. Then, using the new "move" option, you can place other items inside that folder -- all without accessing Dropbox on your desktop.

*** Can Apple Read Your iMessages? ***
<http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2013/06/can-apple-read-your-imessages.html>
Matthew Green, A Few Thoughts On Cryptographic Engineering

> All you need to do is run the following simple experiment: First, lose your iPhone. Now change your password using Apple's iForgot service (this requires you to answer some simple security questions or provide a recovery email). Now go to an Apple store and shell out a fortune buying a new phone.

> If you can recover your recent iMessages onto a new iPhone -- as I was able to do in an Apple store this afternoon -- then Apple <i>isn't</i> protecting your iMessages with your password or with a device key.

*** Skitch Updates Again, With A Faster Screen Shot Process ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/25/skitch-updates-again-with-a-faster-screen-shot-process/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> The Screen Snap feature has been streamlined, which means you can grab pictures from your Mac easier and quicker than ever. As far as I know, that's what most people use Skitch for anyway, so it should be much appreciated.

*** Firefox's Latest Update Includes A Special Feature For OS X ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/25/firefoxs-latest-update-includes-a-special-feature-for-os-x/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

> In addition to support for 3D gaming, video and voice calls, and file sharing without the need for any extra plugins, the team has added something for OS X users. Whenever you download a file, the progress bar will show up right on the icon in your Dock. That's fun, and it means you can monitor the file's progress, even when the regular meter isn't on your screen.

*** Look, And Feel ***
<http://venomousporridge.com/post/53373498588/look-and-feel>
Dan Wineman, Venomous Porridge

> Affordances are the baby to skeuomorphism’s bathwater. When they engage our instincts just right, they create an emotional bond, and the unfamiliar becomes inviting. Without them, it’s just pictures under glass. It makes no difference how flat, how deep, how minimal, or how ornate the look-and-feel is if it can’t show us, when we look, how to feel.

*** Sony Music Unlimited For iOS Gains Offline Mode, High-quality Streaming ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/25/sony-music-unlimited-for-ios-gains-offline-mode-high-quality-st/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 Review: Pro Rendering Tool Now At No Cost ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3454553&olo=rss>
Dncan Evans, Macworld UK

> There’s no doubt that DAZ Studio is being improved and from an utterly chaotic interface, there’s now a sense of order emerging. This needs to continue while more work needs to go on lighting but for the core users, the package is friendlier than ever and the results possible keep getting better all the time. Even if you don’t render in Studio, it’s worth having to create and pose figures to export to a package with better facilities.

*** Apple Finally Updates iTunes U, Brings Pull-To-Refresh ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/06/25/apple-finally-updates-itunes-u-brings-pull-to-refresh/>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

*** What Sync Means These Days ***
<http://inessential.com/2013/06/25/what_sync_means_these_days>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> “Syncing” now means not just syncing itself but the creation of multiple versions of an app that sync.

*** MacBook Air Review: A Tiny Computer With Big Battery Life ***
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/macbook-air-review-11-inch-tiny-computer-big/story?id=19477598#.UcoQ65XXct9>
Joanna Stern, ABC News

> The Air has consistently provided the best blend of performance and ergonomics in a truly mobile package. With the new version, there is just another reason to recommend the laptop.

*** PopChar X 6.3 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13876?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Ergonis Software has released PopChar X 6.3, adding a clickable link to the Font Info view that opens the font’s storage location. If you have multiple versions of a font on your system, the font discovery utility will also tell you which version is currently in use.

*** Who Will Stop Google? ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/06/25/who_will_stop_google_partner/>
Rebecca Solnit, Salon

> Snowden revealed what many of us already suspected: Google completely controls the web.

*** The Photographer Is Related To All Of These Strangers ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/06/25/laurel_nakadate_strangers_and_relations_shows_portraits_of_distant_relatives.html>
David Rosenberg, Slate