[MyAppleMenu] Jun 25, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 25 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Review: iBank For iPad A Stellar Full-featured Personal Financial App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042830/review-ibank-for-ipad-a-stellar-full-featured-personal-financial-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> iBank for iPad is, in a word, stellar. If you’re still using Quicken on your Mac or, for that matter, iBank for your Mac, there’s no reason <i>not</i> to move to this app. It’s as good as, or better than, anything you’re using online or on your Mac.

*** How To Share Photo Streams With Friends And Family Not Using An iPhone Or iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-share-photo-streams-friends-and-family-not-using-iphone-or-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** LibreOffice 4.0.4 For Mac ***
<http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/download-review/2076179/libreoffice-404-for-mac>
Lee Collins, V3.co.uk

> LibreOffice is a comprehensive, professional-quality productivity suite that you can download and install for free.

*** How To Extend The Battery Life Of Your Macbook ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/06/24/macbook-battery-life-gigaom/2451825/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> The battery life of the brand new MacBook Air is an enviable 12 hours (or more, as some reviewers found). If you can't afford to run out and buy a new one, don't worry: there are still things you can try to help preserve and extend the life of your older MacBook's battery.

*** Tile, A Convenient Tag That Keeps Track Of Anything ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/tile-a-convenient-tag-that-keeps-track-of-anything/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> Tile resembles a small white square that’s only a few millimeters thick, making it both pocketable and small enough to be conveniently attached to gadgets or personal belongings. It’s small enough that you can slip it into a wallet’s pocket, or you can simply adhere it to the surface of a MacBook.

> Tile will work over Bluetooth 4.0 with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad mini, 3rd or 4th generation iPads, and the 5th generation iPod touch. A Tile app for the iPhone will let you track all of your Tiles within a 50 ft to 150 ft range, displaying a small marker to help you find lost or misplaced items.

*** Apple Investigating New MacBook Air WiFi Issues, Some Customers Receiving Replacements ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/24/apple-investigating-new-macbook-air-wifi-issues-some-customers-receiving-replacements/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The 6 Most Annoying iPhone Settings & How To Fix Them ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/24/annoying-iphone-settings-fix/>
OS X Daily

> There are a few default settings on the iPhone that are just plain annoying, but within just a minute or two you can fix all of that with a handful of simple adjustments, and have a much better experience.

Personally, I don't see how any user, as well as everyone around him, can put up with keyboard clicking sounds on a phone.

*** All The Apps Have Been Written ***
<http://blog.hoctor.com/all-the-apps-have-been-written/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Entrepreneurial Seduction

> What ails you? What apps do you use today that piss you off? What apps are incomplete or missing from your favorite device (mine being my iPad)? Make a list. Pick the most personal ones and load up Xcode. Trust me, there are thousands of apps that haven’t been written yet.

*** NetNewsWire 4 For Mac Public Beta Debuts, With Sync And iOS Versions To Come ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042835/netnewswire-4-for-mac-public-beta-debuts-with-sync-and-ios-versions-to-come.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

*** Marvin Redux: A Smart Ebook Reader Gets Smarter ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13867?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> Marvin now respects publisher layout specifications for any EPUBs that have them. And, as it should be, adhering to those specifications is a user-controllable option: Marvin’s Format pane now has a prominent Switch to Publisher’s Formatting option that you can enable or disable.

*** The 2013 MacBook Air Review (13-Inch) ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

*** OS X Is Holding Back The 2013 MacBook Air’s 802.11Ac Wi-Fi Speeds ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/os-x-is-holding-back-the-2013-macbook-airs-802-11ac-wi-fi-speeds/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> If you're expecting the new MacBook Air and your brand new 802.11ac router to make your wireless speeds skyrocket, you might be stuck waiting on a fix from Apple.

*** Millions Of Years On, Still Evolving ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/science/my-beloved-brontosaurus-millions-of-years-gone-but-still-evolving.html?ref=science&_r=0>
John Noble Wilford, New York Times

> We are beneficiaries of Mr. Switek’s undiminished passion, on display in “My Beloved Brontosaurus.” The book is a delight, coming along when so much has changed in our understanding of dinosaurs, ever since the beginning of a renaissance in dinosaur studies in the 1970s and ’80s.

*** We Must Be Kidding! The Case For Eradicating 'Kid' Food ***
<http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/06/17/we-must-be-kidding-the-case-for-eradicating-kid-food>
David L. Katz, U.S. News

> Kids' food should be eradicated. Still with me? I'll make my case.

*** Literature Needs Freedom – And Freedom Needs Literature ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/24/literature-freedom-burma-ma-thida?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ma Thida, The Guardian