[MyAppleMenu] Jun 24, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 24 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Reason 7 Review: Bring The Power Of A Mixing Desk To Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac-creative/reviews/?reviewid=3454327&olo=rss>
Rob Beattie, Macworld UK

> Reason is what it is. It still employs cumbersome and occasionally confusing copy protection (what’s the Authorizer, have I got an Ignition key, where’s my copy of the Audiomatic Effects rack? These are all questions that could be answered with slicker, less intrusive copy protection) and people love or hate the interface, but it’s now firmly positioned among the very best and most comprehensive DAWs around.

*** How To Block Auto-play Videos ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042704/how-to-block-auto-play-videos.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Watch And Rip Blu-ray Movies On Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042431/watch-and-rip-blu-ray-movies-on-your-mac.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Apple Notifies iTunes Users Of $100M In-app Purchase Settlement Details, $5 Credit To Those Inappropriately Charged Under $30 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/23/apple-notifies-itunes-users-of-in-app-purchase-settlement-details-5-to-those-inappropriately-charged-under-30/>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

> Parents of kids who racked up hundreds of even thousands of dollars in in-app purchases can now begin to seek compensation for their bills.

*** SessionBand Jazz Lets You Create Like A Master ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/23/sessionband-jazz-lets-you-create-like-a-master/>
Ilene Hoffman, TUAW

*** Are Coders Worth It? ***
<http://www.aeonmagazine.com/living-together/james-somers-web-developer-money/>
James Somers, Aeon

> In today’s world, web developers have it all: money, perks, freedom, respect. But is there value in what we do?

*** Prison Of The Mind ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2013/07/01/130701crbo_books_buruma>
Ian Buruma, New Yorker

> Alexis de Tocqueville came to the United States in 1831 to study the country’s prison system, and ended up writing “Democracy in America.” Observing the Chinese prison system from the inside, from 1990 to 1994, as a “counterrevolutionary” inmate, Liao Yiwu tells us a great deal about Chinese society, both traditional and Communist, including the impact of revolutionary rhetoric, forced denunciations and public confessions, and, as times have changed since Mao’s misrule, criminal forms of capitalism. He ends his account by saying that “China remains a prison of the mind: prosperity without liberty.”

*** Mastiff ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2013/07/01/130701fi_fiction_oates>
Joyce Carol Oates, New Yorker

*** Feel Free To Help Yourself ***