[MyAppleMenu] Jun 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 17 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple’s Commitment To Customer Privacy ***
<http://www.apple.com/apples-commitment-to-customer-privacy/>
Apple

> Like several other companies, we have asked the U.S. government for permission to report how many requests we receive related to national security and how we handle them. We have been authorized to share some of that data, and we are providing it here in the interest of transparency.

> From December 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013, Apple received between 4,000 and 5,000 requests from U.S. law enforcement for customer data. Between 9,000 and 10,000 accounts or devices were specified in those requests, which came from federal, state and local authorities and included both criminal investigations and national security matters. The most common form of request comes from police investigating robberies and other crimes, searching for missing children, trying to locate a patient with Alzheimer’s disease, or hoping to prevent a suicide.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/4437272/apple-government-data-request-information-prism">Apple claims it can't decrypt FaceTime and iMessage data, details extent of government requests</a> (Aaron Souppouris, The Verge)

*** The New Mac Pro: What We Wanted, What We're Actually Getting ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042006/the-new-mac-pro-what-we-wanted-what-were-actually-getting.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Apple's Bid To Crack The Center Stack ***
<http://www.autonews.com/article/20130617/OEM06/306179942/apples-bid-to-crack-the-center-stack#axzz2WRiEFq00>
David Sedgwick, Automotive News

> Reluctant to surrender control of their center stacks, and worried about safety-conscious federal regulators, automakers will perform a balancing act.

*** The Atlantic Weekly Magazine Launches For iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/the-atlantic-weekly-magazine-launches-for-ios>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** “The Ocean At The End Of The Lane”: Neil Gaiman Returns ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/06/16/the_ocean_at_the_end_of_the_lane_neil_gaiman_returns/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> What the story sacrifices of the sweet, glassy purity of a child’s view, it compensates for with the complex sepia of maturity; it’s the difference between a bright young white wine and a well-aged burgundy.

*** The Gift Of Doubt ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2013/06/24/130624crbo_books_gladwell>
Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker