[MyAppleMenu] Jun 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 16 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Can A Tablet Replace Your Laptop? We Used An iPad For Three Months To Find out ***
<http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-a-tablet-replace-your-laptop/>
Matt Smith, Digital Trends

> A tablet’s simply better for consumption, while also good enough for most productivity.

*** Wireless Emergency Alerts Coming To iPhone 5, 4S ***
<http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7790136>
AT&T Consumer Blog

*** The Quarry By Iain Banks – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/16/iain-banks-the-quarry-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Alex Preston, The Observer

> <i>The Quarry</i> is a novel about disease, about "fucking cancer", as it's repeatedly described. It's a novel held up against the dying of the light, a fierce howl into the void that, in the image of the titular quarry, threatens to engulf the characters on every page. Reading this book, one is hit again and again with the fact – tragic and astonishing in equal measure – that Banks didn't know he was dying until he'd almost finished the first draft, that the cancer that was the subject matter of his novel would soon become the urgent subject matter of his life. It makes it a difficult, often distressing read.

*** To Tip Or Not To Tip... Or Should It Be Banned? ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22846846>
Tom Geoghegan, BBC