[MyAppleMenu] Jun 15, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 15 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple MacBook Air 13-Inch (Mid 2013) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420468,00.asp>
Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

> The fact that the system gives up very little if any day-to-day performance is astounding. This isn't a low-powered slate tablet that gives up computing performance in exchange for battery life. With the latest MacBook Air 13-inch, you have a fully functional ultraportable laptop with extremely long battery life, as it should be. If you need to do real work on a plane, train, or out in the field, get a MacBook Air 13-inch. It's our new Editors' Choice winner for mainstream ultraportable laptops.

*** Insignificant Bug Keeps Encrypted Disks Unlocked After Ejecting In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57589396-263/insignificant-bug-keeps-encrypted-disks-unlocked-after-ejecting-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> While not the expected behavior, this bug is technically not a breach in security.

*** The New TweetDeck For OS X ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/the-new-tweetdeck-for-os-x/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> It’s not a native app, there’s a bug or two, but I can’t help but think there is some clear improvement over the last update.

*** First Look: Hands-on With Office Mobile For iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2042108/first-look-hands-on-with-office-mobile-for-iphone.html#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> Yes, it’s Microsoft Office on your iPhone, but it’s Office in air quotes—which is to say that, while you can create and edit Office documents on your phone, there isn’t much here in the way of added value and, in fact, may only introduce frustration to your daily grind. Also, the fact that it’s an iPhone-only app seems like an unnecessary limitation on Microsoft’s part. While it’s possible to use the Web-based version of Office on your iPad, a native iPad app seems like a more obvious solution.

*** State Of Web Inspector ***
<https://www.webkit.org/blog/2518/state-of-web-inspector/>
Timothy Hatcher, Surfin' Safari

> Last year, Safari 6 included a reimagination of Web Inspector that aligned the design and user experience with Xcode 4. This design, while familiar to Mac and iOS developers, alienated some web developers familiar with the old Web Inspector. Over the last year we have listened and have taken all your feedback to heart.

> We are happy to announce the next version of Web Inspector, released as a developer preview this week at WWDC 2013. If you regularly use WebKit nightly builds, this Web Inspector will be familiar to you, since we have been bundling it in the nightly as an early developer preview for a while now. Even though the new Web Inspector has been in the WebKit nightly build, its source has not been part of the WebKit open source project — until now.

*** A Familiar MacBook Air, But With An All-day Battery ***
<http://www.cnet.com/apple-macbook-air-13-inch/?part=rss&subj=latestreviews&tag=title&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+cnet%252FYIff+%2528CNET+Latest+Reviews%2529>
Dan Ackerman, CNET

> Even if our 14-hour video playback battery life run is cut by a third or more in rigorous real-world conditions, you've still got a true all-day, always-on computer. Couple that with OS X and the best-in-show touch pad and gestures, and I'd be hard pressed to think of a single competitor that comes close to the ubiquitous usefulness of this system.

*** Handbrake, The Best Video Conversion Tool You've Never Used ***
<http://readwrite.com/2013/06/14/handbrake-the-best-video-conversion-tool-youve-never-used#awesm=~o8MBRcX6a14jmi>
Matt Asay, ReadWrite

*** Books On Books ***
<http://www.publicbooks.org/fiction/books-on-books>
Leah Price, Public Books

> If you want to understand the forces reshaping what and how we read, if you want to understand what new glamor print is acquiring in the digital age, or if you want to pin down what books can do that blogs can’t and vice versa, it’s worth pausing en route to the Media Studies aisle to browse this unnamed section. Not that anyone has much to say about its contents; elegies for Gutenberg waste few tears on it. What Charles Lamb dismissed already in 1822 as “things in books’ clothing” find few defenders. Nor do gift books need any, since they laugh off the forces that threaten other print genres. Their resilience offers two lessons.

*** Book Review: ‘The Astronaut Wives Club: A True Story’ By Lily Koppel ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-astronaut-wives-club-a-true-story-by-lily-koppel/2013/06/14/1c201ef0-c25e-11e2-9fe2-6ee52d0eb7c1_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Curtis Siteenfeld, Washington Post

> More than 50 years after its inception, many of us now take the space program for granted, but Koppel reminds readers just how bold and innovative it felt in the Sputnik era, and how mysterious the wilderness of space remains.

> As their husbands changed overnight from anonymous military pilots to international heroes, the astrowives were pulled along, in some cases willingly and in others with reluctance. Each woman’s life was defined by an essential contradiction: To increase the chances of her husband being picked for a coveted mission position, she needed to make their marriage as stable as possible, or at least she needed to make it appear stable.

*** Visible Men ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/16/books/review/creative-writing-in-a-massachusetts-prison.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Helen Elaine Lee, New York Times