[MyAppleMenu] Jun 14, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 14 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Dealing With iTunes Font Sizes, File Types, And Missing Files ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041610/dealing-with-itunes-font-sizes-file-types-and-missing-files.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

*** Apple's Security Strategy: Make It Invisible ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041724/apples-security-strategy-make-it-invisible.html#tk.rss_all>
Rich Mogull, Macworld

> Despite a rocky start, Apple now applies its impressive design sensibilities to security, playing the game its own way and in the process changing our expectations for security and technology.

*** Apple MacBook Air 13In (Mid-2013) Review: True Laptop Longevity Now available ***
<http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3452770/apple-macbook-air-13in-mid-2013-review/>
Andrew Harrison, PC Advisor

> The Apple MacBook Air (Mid-2013) really does provide all-day battery life. For that alone, it fully deserves to be top of the list for anyone looking for a workaday laptop, one that can reduce one of modern life’s stresses: that of wondering whether your computer will still be functional just when you need it. It’s just as fast as the previous model, more so actually in real-world use, and seals the deal with future-proofed faster Wi-Fi, more storage and a lower price than last year’s model. It’s an outstanding ultraportable among a mass of me-too ultrabook mediocrity.

*** Review: Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock ***
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/14/review_belkin_thunderbolt_express_dock/>
Bob Dormon, The Register

*** Hands On With Microsoft Office For iPhone, As The Productivity Suite Finally Comes To Apple’s Smartphone ***
<http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/06/14/office-for-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheNextWeb+(The+Next+Web+All+Stories)>
Alex Wilhelm, The Next Web

> Office for iPhone, what Microsoft calls “Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers,” will be available only to current, paying Office 365 customers. If you purchased the most recent Office suite for desktop as a standalone product, you will not have access to the iPhone version of the software.

*** Http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/13/apple-gm-ford-sync-microsoft-chrysler-toyota-honda/2419925/ ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/13/apple-gm-ford-sync-microsoft-chrysler-toyota-honda/2419925/>
Chris Woodyard, USA Today

> It's easy to see why automakers are dividing up. Deciding whether Apple helps or hurts depends on "what the automaker is trying to accomplish," says Thilo Koslowski, vice president of automotive for consulting group Gartner. "To be a leader or a follower."

*** The Smaller, Subtler Changes In iOS 7 ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/06/13/the-smaller-subtler-changes-in-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OmMalik+%28GigaOM%3A+Tech%29>
Alex Layne, GigaOM

*** 802.11Ac Promises Better Coverage, But Won’t Hit Advertised Speeds ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13844?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

*** Why iOS 7 Doesn’t Have Shadows ***
<https://medium.com/design-ux/e5b7bf3318e8>
Peter Alguacil, Medium

> One could argue that by making the user interface behave as if it is backlit, Apple is treating iOS 7 as a more integral part of the device itself. It’s not a mock front-lit interface with shadows and textures, it is a representation of the actual physical screen.

*** DevJuice: The Easy Way To Set Up An OS X Mavericks Test Environment ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/13/devjuice-the-easy-way-to-set-up-an-os-x-mavericks-test-environm/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

*** The Quarry By Iain Banks – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/14/the-quarry-iain-banks-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Theo Tait, The Guardian

> Iain Banks's last novel is an honest evocation of the void opening up beneath a life.

*** Equine Dining ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article06131301.aspx>
Jessica Allen, The Smart Set