[MyAppleMenu] Jun 12, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 12 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Mac Gems: Mailplane 3 Melds Gmail And Your Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2040658/mac-gems-mailplane-3-melds-gmail-and-your-mac.html#tk.rss_all>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

*** Apple Releases Mavericks Core Technology Overview ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/12/apple-releases-mavericks-core-technology-overview/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> For those hardware and software geeks in the audience, Apple has released a document detailing the core technology that drives Mavericks power optimizations and its improved performance.

*** Something Amiss In IOS-Land? ***
<http://threads2.scripting.com/2013/june/somethingMayBeWrongInIosland>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

> I can't imagine that developers relish the choices that Apple is giving them.

*** iOS 7 Warns About Non-certified Lightning Cables, Though Doesn’t Block Them ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/12/ios-7-warns-about-non-certified-lightning-cables-though-doesnt-block-them/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Despite the message, non-certified cables do function properly.

*** New MacBook Air 13-Inch Teardown Reveals Larger Battery And Smaller SSD ***
<http://www.imore.com/new-macbook-air-13-inch-teardown-reveals-larger-battery-and-smaller-ssd-0>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Fertile Ground ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/06/11/fertile-ground>
Marco Arment

*** Should You Buy A New MacBook Air Now, Or Wait For A New MacBook Pro Later? ***
<http://www.imore.com/deciding-between-new-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-let-us-help>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Obviously if you need the horsepower and the feature set of an MBP today, you should get one. But your patience will be rewarded in due time - Apple's migration of the MacBook Pro to Haswell processors is a virtual certainty. The question is when.

> And if you're in the market for a lightweight laptop, step up and buy one of the new MacBook Airs - with better power efficiency and better graphics performance, there's never been a better time to buy.

*** How To Share The iTunes Library On Your Mac Or PC On Any WiFi Network ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-share-itunes-library-your-mac-or-pc-any-wifi-network>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you use iTunes to manage your music collection, you can easily share it across any WiFi network where friends and family can stream and listen to your music. It's a great way to discover new music that requires no cables or transferring of files.

*** Design, And Insecurity, Is Back At Apple ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/10/design-and-insecurity-is-back-at-apple/>
Ryan Block, TechCrunch

> In a world of companies willing to say yes to just about anything in the name of being innovative Apple still says no.

*** Andy Ihnatko Deconstructs The Apple Ethos After Its Annual Conference ***
<http://www.chicagogrid.com/reviews/tech/wwdc-impressions/>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Grid

> The company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference saw a lot of refinement, if not a lot of innovation.

*** Apple Confirms New Version Of Final Cut Pro X Coming Alongside New Mac Pro Later This Year ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/11/apple-confirms-new-version-of-final-cut-pro-x-coming-alongside-new-mac-pro-later-this-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Summer Vacation Tech Tips ***
<http://verynicewebsite.net/2013/06/summer-vacation-tech-tips/>
John Moltz's Very Nice Web Site

> Of course your kids should get outside. They should spend most of their time outside, depending on the bear threat in your area. Do all the standard fun summer stuff with them. Take them to the wave pool, the zoo, the mysterious island where they play The Most Dangerous Game. But when you’ve done all that and you realize it’s only day four of summer and you’re all out of ideas, here’s a few I’ve found come in handy and have used in the past when my son is home sick.

*** Tim Cook's WWDC ***
<http://www.imore.com/tim-cooks-wwdc>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Where Jobs had drawn a grid and filled it with products, with the intersections of portable and desktop, consumer and professional, Cook filled his grid with people, with the unification of hardware and software design, of iOS and OS X software, of all internet services, and with core technologies.

*** Schiller’s Zinger: Apple’s Rallying Cry ***
<http://kensegall.com/2013/06/schillers-zinger-apples-rallying-cry/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> The company that seemed a bit too self-conscious in the presentation department after Steve’s passing seems to be settling into a good place. The new cast is talented and works well together. They inspire confidence in the future, which is something the Apple crowd can use more of these days.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/2041400/apples-events-move-on-and-so-does-the-company.html#tk.rss_all">Apple's events move on, and so does the company</a> (Jason Snell, Macworld): After an appropriate period of mourning, this is the new face of Apple.

*** Apple MacBook Air 13-Inch (2013) Review ***
<http://www.laptopmag.com/apple-macbook-air-13-inch-2013.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LaptopMagazineNews+%28LAPTOP+Magazine+-+The+Pulse+of+Mobile+Technology%29>
Mark Spoonauer, Laptop Magazine

*** Cord-cutting With An Apple TV ***
<http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2013/06/cord-cutting-with-an-apple-tv/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftechblogfulltext+%28TechBlog+-+Full+Text%29>
Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle

> AirPlay is what makes the Apple TV the best choice for my cord-cutting household.

*** How OS X “Mavericks” Works Its Power-saving Magic ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

> The overarching goal of the power efficiency changes is of course longer battery life, but Apple claims that it can acheive this without harming "and in some cases even improving" overall system responsiveness. Three main technologies make this possible.

*** Generosity Of Perspective ***
<http://frankchimero.com/blog/2013/06/generosity-of-perspective/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Frank Chimero

> Luckily, things like icons, colors, and typography are easier to iterate than userflows, information architecture, and features. They’re also the elements that take more time than expected to craft, so I can see all of these refinements being the most likely to be cut from a tight deadline, and the first up to be revisited by the design team before the official release, or quickly thereafter. If that awful Safari icon bugs you, imagine how the designers at Apple must feel.

*** Apple iOS 7 Supports Wi-Fi Hotspot 2.0 ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/11/apple-ios-7-supports-wi-fi-hotspot-2-0/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> Hotspot 2.0 is form of public access Wi-Fi that automatically connects your phone to a Wi-Fi network when you enter its range.

*** Rolling On ***
<http://512pixels.net/2013/06/rolling-on/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
512 Pixels

> However, once we can all zoom out a little bit, I think iOS 7 will be seen as an evolutionary change. A big one, perhaps, but one that shouldn’t be seen as all that surprising.

*** iOS 7: Thoughts And Questions ***
<http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-7-thoughts-and-questions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> To paraphrase yesterday’s demo, we should look beyond the icons. iOS 7 will be defined by its overall design language, user features, and developer technologies.

*** This Is The Last Time I Will Ever See You ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/weddings/2013/06/wedding_guest_goodbyes_friendships_that_end_after_your_wedding.html>
David Plotz, Slate

> After every wedding, there is a dear friend who will immediately disappear from your life. And that’s OK.

*** Amtrak Gets Gourmet Advice ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/amtrak-gets-gourmet-advice/2013/06/10/df8eda8c-b0d6-11e2-9a98-4be1688d7d84_story.html>
Lori Aratani, Washington Post