[MyAppleMenu] Jun 11, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 11 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** SF, NY Officials Wait To Judge Apple 'Kill switch' ***
<http://www.seattlepi.com/business/technology/article/SF-NY-officials-wait-to-judge-Apple-kill-switch-4592276.php>
Terry Collins, Associated Press

*** Meet The New Apple, Same As The Old Apple ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041298/meet-the-new-apple-same-as-the-old-apple.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Watching Apple through the lens of public perception, it would be easy to buy into the idea that the company has been under siege of late. But even if that were the case, it’s clear that Apple isn’t buying the hype. Each of the executives who took to the stage on Monday conveyed, to a one, both excitement and confidence about the future direction of Apple—and they brought the announcements to prove it.

*** PSA: OS X 10.9 Appears To Run On Any Mac That Can Run OS X 10.8 ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/psa-os-x-10-9-appears-to-run-on-any-mac-that-can-run-os-x-10-8/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

*** OS X Mavericks Will Tell You Which Apps Are Using Significant Power ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/06/11/os-x-mavericks-will-tell-you-which-apps-are-using-significant-power/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> With the new battery menu, which you’ll find at the top right of your screen, you’ll see a new section in the middle that tells you which apps are using up your power. This will show up whether you’re plugged in or not. If you’re running power-sucking apps, you’ll see the words “Apps Using Significant Power” followed by a list of the apps. If none of your apps are taking up too much power, you’ll see this: “All Apps Using Nominal Power.”

*** Apps Have To Ask For Permission To Access The Microphone In iOS 7 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/11/apps-have-to-ask-for-permission-to-access-the-microphone-in-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> In a further boost to privacy, it appears that apps will now have to request permission in order to access the microphone. This would prevent a rogue app recording you and sending the data off somewhere without your knowledge.

*** The iPhone Finally Gets Call-blocking In iOS 7 ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/11/the-iphone-finally-gets-call-blocking-in-ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple To Relocate, Expand Last "Mini" Apple Store ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/11/apple-to-relocate-expand-last-mini-apple-store/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

> The mini-store in question is the Oakridge Apple Store in San Jose, California. The store will move from its current location to a new spot just across from the food court in the mall. The revamped store will be 15 times larger than its current size. Once the move is complete, it will mark the end of the mini-stores, the first of which were opened in 2004.

*** Apple To Boost Twitter #Music With Trending iTunes Radio Station ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/4418164/apple-itunes-radio-twitter-music>
Matt Brian, The Verge

*** Passbook For iOS 7 To Support Scanning QR Codes ***
<http://www.imore.com/passbook-ios-7-support-scanning-qr-codes>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Apple Design Awards Announced, Letterpress And Yahoo! Weather Among The Winners ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-design-awards-announced-letterpress-and-yahoo-weather-among-winners>
Richard Devine, iMore

> Apple's annual Design Award winners for iOS and Mac have been announced at WWDC 2013, and among those recognised this year are some favorites of our own. Loren Brichter's atebits has won the award for the fantastic Letterpress, and the simply gorgeous Yahoo! Weather is also on the list.

Congrats to every one of the winners.

*** iOS 7: Beyond The Flatness ***
<http://www.splatf.com/2013/06/ios-7/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+splatf+%28SplatF%29>
Dan Frommer, SplatF

*** OS X Mavericks Switches To SMB2 Networking ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57588593-263/os-x-mavericks-switches-to-smb2-networking/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Apple's inclusion of Windows networking options in OS X has been a great addition to the operating system, but until now it has taken second place to Apple's own AFP protocol. In OS X Mavericks, however, Apple will be including the newer SMB2 protocol as the default protocol for sharing files, so even if you are connecting two Macs running OS X Maverick or later, unless you specify to use AFP, they will use SMB2.

*** The Design Of iOS 7: Simply Confusing ***
<http://www.theverge.com/apple/2013/6/10/4416726/the-design-of-ios-7-simply-confusing>
Joshua Topolsky, The Verge

> The icons are striking to see, and the first sign that there are points of confusion and even missteps in Apple's new approach.

The look of the icons can be easily changed between now and the actual release of iOS, I think.

*** App Store Will Update Apps Automatically In iOS 7 ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/10/4415588/app-store-automatic-updates-ios-7-apple-wwdc-2013>
Jacob Kastrenakes, The Verge

> Less tech-savvy users who aren't familiar with the App Store may let apps sit around out of date, but starting in iOS 7, that should no longer be a problem.

*** 27 New iOS 7 Features Apple Didn't Talk About ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041306/27-new-ios-7-features-apple-didnt-talk-about.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** New Maps Icon Centers Around New Spaceship Campus Location ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/10/new-maps-icon-centers-around-new-spaceship-campus-location/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Scott Buscemi, 9 To 5 Mac

*** iOS 7 To Include Security Feature Dubbed 'Activation Lock' ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/10/ios-7-to-include-security-feature-dubbed-activation-lock/>
Yoni Heisler, TUAW

> What's more, even if a thief attempts to wipe a device clean, he won't be able to reactivate the phone without entering in a user's credentials.

*** Apple Airs New Commercial On Company Values ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/06/10/apple-airs-new-commercial-on-company-values/>
Andrew Kunesh, Macgasm

*** New Hardware Standards And Game Controller APIs Pop Up At WWDC 2013 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/06/new-hardware-standards-and-game-controller-apis-pop-up-at-wwdc-2013>
Jamie Young, AppAdvice

*** iOS 7 Went Too Far In The Other Direction ***
<https://medium.com/product-experience/9a7b4648fe8b>
Mike Rundle, Medium

> If there is a gamut of interface design execution and symbolism where rich, detailed, skeuomorphic design is on the left and flat, robotic, sparse design is on the right, iOS 7 is solidly planted on the right. It’s the anti-iOS 6 and everything before it. Hell, it’s anti-Apple and everything before it.

*** A Closer Look At The New Mac Pro ***
<http://www.imore.com/closer-look-new-mac-pro>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> This is liable to disappoint some Mac Pro enthusiasts who enjoy the internal expandability of today's model, but Apple says all expandability on this new machine is external. That's because in addition to four USB 3.0 ports, the new Mac Pro has a total of <i>six</i> Thunderbolt 2 ports.

*** ‘This Is Our Signature’: iOS 7 ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/06/ios_7_signature>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> The design of iOS 7 is based on rules. There’s an intricate system at work, a Z-axis of layers organized in a logical way. There is a profound reduction in the use of faux-3D visual effects and textures, but iOS 7 is anything but flat. It is three dimensional not just visually but logically.

*** Apple Literally Stole My Thunder ***
<https://medium.com/wwdc-round-up/253aed27a455>
Alaric, Medium

> I’m not naive enough to claim Apple actually took my idea. I’m sure they just happened to be working on a similar concept. I’m just claiming that may have unfairly biased the review process, not wishing for someone to debut a key new aspect of their beloved OS before they were able. Not wanting someone to steal their thunder.

> According to Apple, no one wanted such a flashy weather app. They were so certain of this, they built one themselves.

*** Comparing Apple's Old And New MacBook Air Models ***
<http://www.imore.com/comparing-apples-old-and-new-macbook-air-models>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Apple took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach while incorporating solid enhancements that promise better performance and better power management - always welcome news for road warriors who depend on the nimble MacBook Air to get their work done.

*** iOS 7: Instead Of Flatness, We Got Depth ***
<http://gizmodo.com/ios-7-instead-of-flatness-we-got-depth-512291484>
Kelsey Campbell-dollaghan, Gizmodo

> This iOS 7 we met today was full of what Jony Ive called “new types of depth.” Alongside a poppy, neon-and-pastel color scheme, the icons, apps, and homescreen of iOS 7 are full of layering and dimensionality. There are also entirely new types of animation: from a screen that uses the accelerometer to adjust in parallax, to beautiful new animated weather icons.

*** Apps Can Now Be Transferred From One Developer To Another ***
<http://blog.zaheer.me/2013/06/apps-can-now-be-transferred-from-one.html>
Zaheer.com

*** Apple's Cook: iOS 7 Is The 'Biggest Change To iOS' Since iPhone's Arrival ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041180/apple-unveils-ios-7.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> Apple on Monday took the wraps off iOS 7, revealing a dramatic new design that sheds six-year-old interface elements, and replaces them with a cleaner, more modern aesthetic. From top to bottom, the OS that powers the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch has been renovated for both looks <i>and</i> usability.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.geekwire.com/2013/apples-siri-adopts-microsoft-bing-for-web-search/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+geekwire+%28GeekWire%29">Surprise: Apple’s Siri adopts Microsoft Bing for web search</a> (Todd Bishop, Geekwire)
• <a href="http://gizmodo.com/all-the-new-ios-features-your-old-iphone-wont-get-512359950">All the New iOS Features Your Old iPhone Won't Get</a> (Peter Ha, Gizmodo)

*** Apple Gets Into The Stream Of Things With iTunes Radio ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041227/apple-gets-into-the-stream-of-things-with-itunes-radio.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Rather than an on-demand service such as Spotify, iTunes Radio has more in common with Pandora, where you listen to stations inspired by a particular track, artist, or genre.

> There will be two models for the service—ad-supported and free or ad-free if you have an iTunes Match subscription, which costs $25 per year. The service will launch first in the U.S. in the fall with other countries to follow.

*** iWork For iCloud Highlights Productivity Suite Update ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041222/iwork-for-icloud-highlights-productivity-suite-update.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> As with the current version of iWork and the now-shuttered iWork.com, this new service will let you view documents that the native version of the productivity suite have synced to iCloud. For the first time, however, you will also be able to create new documents, edit existing ones—even those created by competing apps, such as Microsoft Word—and continue to synchronize them to the cloud, thus making them available for access on your devices.

*** New MacBook Airs Offer All-day Battery Life, Better Graphics Performance ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041214/new-macbook-airs-offer-all-day-battery-life-better-graphics-performance.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> The 11-inch Air improves from 5 hours of battery life to 9 hours, with standby for up to 30 days. The 13-inch Air goes from 7 hours to 12 hours of battery life. Wakeup time is 1 second. What does that mean for everyday life? According to Phil Schiller, Apple's marketing guru, you get up to 10 hours of iTunes movie playback and you can watch the entire trilogy of <i>Lord of the Rings</i>.

*** The Wait Is Nearly Over: Apple Unveils New Mac Pro ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041203/the-wait-is-nearly-over-apple-unveils-new-mac-pro.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> Apple’s new desktop workstation features a sleek, cylindrical design that’s a stark contrast to the mammoth, roomy aluminum tower initially introduced with the Power PC-based Power Mac G5 in 2003, and revised with the release of the Intel-based Mac Pro in 2006. Apple didn’t announce a formal ship date, stating that the new Mac Pro will ship later this year, nor did it talk about pricing or specific models. It will be made in the United States.

*** OS X Catches A Wave, As Apple Previews OS X Mavericks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2041207/os-x-catches-a-wave-as-apple-previews-os-x-mavericks.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Federighi previewed three new features present in Mavericks: Finder Tabs, Tags, and Multiple Displays. In addition, Mavericks includes a slew of under-the-hood improvements; updates to Safari, Calendar, and Notifications; new password syncing options via iCloud; and brings Maps and iBooks to the Mac.

Also:
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/2041218/safari-gets-energy-efficient-update-in-mavericks.html#tk.rss_all">Safari gets energy-efficient update in Mavericks</a> (Leah Yamshon): OS X Mavericks introduces a new power-saving feature called App Nap, which decides where your Mac should direct its power supply. When Safari isn’t your primary program, App Nap will essentially put it to sleep, greatly reduces your Mac’s power usage.
• <a href="http://www.macworld.com/article/2041216/ibooks-to-come-to-the-mac.html#tk.rss_all">iBooks to come to the Mac</a> (Serenity Caldwell, Macworld): iBooks for Mac includes all the features users have come to expect in the iBooks app on iOS, including full access to the iBookstore and your iCloud-synced user library. The bookshelves of iOS 6 are gone, leaving simple rows of cover titles in your library.

*** In Praise Of American English ***
<http://www.spiked-online.com/site/article/13681/>
Patrick West, Spiked

> If you consider that the English and the French spent a good part of 800 years at war with each other, it’s not surprising that relations between the two peoples and their cultures remain awkward. The latest manifestation of this came last week. We learned that many people in France have been up in arms about plans to allow English to be used to teach science courses in its universities. The British, in turn, have found such fury and indignation hilarious.

*** Slaves To The Algorithm ***
<http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/features/anonymous/slaves-algorithm?page=full>
Tom Whipple, Intelligent Life

> More and more of modern life is steered by algorithms. But what are they exactly, and who is behind them?

*** Hold Off On The Alpha Centauri Trip ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/science/space/scientists-cast-doubt-on-the-closest-exoplanet.html?ref=science>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

> Now, however, in a shot across the bow of cosmological optimism, a new analysis of the European data has cast doubt on whether there is actually a “there” there at Alpha Centauri B.

*** Watched By The Web: Surveillance Is Reborn ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/books/big-data-by-viktor-mayer-schonberger-and-kenneth-cukier.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times