[MyAppleMenu] Jul 30, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 30 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple Retail Workers File Class Action Suit Claiming Lost Wages Over Bag Searches ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/apple-retail-workers-file-class-action-suit-claiming-lost-wages-over-bag-searches>
Kevin Bostic, AppleInsider

> At the end of a shift, as well as when clocking out to leave for a meal break, Apple's hourly retail employees must submit to "personal package and bag searches," during which the employees are off-the-clock. The complaint notes that these checks are "significant, integral, indispensable... and done solely for Apple's benefit to prevent employee pilferage."

> As the employees were hourly and the checks only occurred when they were off the clock, they were not compensated for Apple's security procedures. The complaint claims the employees waited typically between 10 and 15 minutes and the end of every shift, as well as another five without compensation prior to going off for "uncompensated meal breaks."

*** Popular Messaging App Line Updated With New Lineup Of Improvements ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/popular-messaging-app-line-updated-with-new-lineup-of-improvements>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Popular Photo-Editing App AfterLight Goes Universal With Native iPad Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/popular-photo-editing-app-afterlight-goes-universal-with-native-ipad-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Netflix's Personalized User Profiles Begin Showing Up On Apple TV ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/29/netflixs-personalized-user-profiles-begin-showing-up-on-apple-tv/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> The personalized profile feature, which is expected to be launched in August, will allow users of shared Netflix accounts to select a unique profile when accessing the service.

*** Review: Illustrator CC More Refined Than Revolutionary ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044427/review-illustrator-cc-more-refined-than-revolutionary.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris McVeigh, Macworld

> Adobe seems to have shifted from asking, “Can we do something new?” to “Can we do something better?” Touch Type and Free Transform are perfect examples of this new approach, retrofitting old tools with new tricks that make basic tasks much easier. It’s a solid strategy and,I hope, an indication of where the application is headed.

*** "Instead Of Cures For Cancer We Got Angry Birds" ***
<http://peternixey.com/post/56867259886/instead-of-cures-for-cancer-we-got-angry-birds>
Peter Nixey

> These aren’t adjacent problems though, they literally and figuratively continents apart. There are already entrepreneurs tackling both problems but they are entrepreneurs with very different knowledge-sets. Getting frustrated with software entrepreneurs failing to feed Africa is like getting cross with Norman Borlaug for not doing a dwarf wheat iPhone app. These are different entrepreneurs with different skills and different available markets.

*** Coffeetopia Review ***
<http://www.148apps.com/reviews/coffeetopia-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+148apps+%28148Apps+Main%29>
Angela LaFollette, 148Apps

> Not only can users find and rate great coffee near them, but they can also share coffee with their friends and invite them out to grab a cup of Joe.

*** A Ride Into The Mountains Review ***
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/ride_mountains_review>
Richard Moss, Mac Life

> A Ride Into the Mountains overcomes a few small rough spots to offer a challenging, intriguing, evocative, and memorable adventure of horseback archery with a stellar minimalist aesthetic.

*** How To Capture And Record Audio On Your Mac ***
<http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/media/how-to-capture-and-record-audio-on-your-mac/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mactuts+%28Mactuts%2B%29>
Jordan Merrick, Mactuts+

*** OmmWriter Dana II (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422406,00.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Jeffrey L. Wilson, PC Magazine

> The distraction-free tool creates a calm, peace-filled writing environment using audio-visual techniques.

*** Apple Logic Pro X ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401411,00.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Jamie Lendino, PC Magazine

> Apple's pro-level audio workstation software just got a huge makeover, and it's a winner. If you're a musician, producer, recording engineer, or composer, you simply have to look at Logic Pro X. Even if you're a steadfast Pro Tools wizard in a commercial setting, or are loyal to Digital Performer or Cubase—all excellent software packages—the long-awaited Logic Pro X contains some brilliant innovations that are worth examining, especially if you've also got an iPad hanging around the studio.

*** Zagat From Google Launches For iPhone, Discover Cool Nightlife And Restaurants ***
<http://www.imore.com/zagat-google-launches-iphone-discover-cool-nightlife-and-restaurants-near-you>
Richard Devine, iMore

> Besides pretty comprehensive listings for venues that include locations, opening hours, contact details and menus – the usual kind of stuff – it also provides curated lists picked out by the Zagat team such as "bars where you can escape the heat in NYC."

*** Apple’s Response To Latest Supplier Labor Abuse Allegations ***
<http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013/07/29/apples-response-to-pegatron-worker-allegations/>
Paul Mozur, Wall Street Journal

> "Their latest report contains claims that are new to us and we will investigate them immediately. Our audit teams will return to Pegatron, RiTeng and AVY for special inspections this week. If our audits find that workers have been underpaid or denied compensation for any time they’ve worked, we will require that Pegatron reimburse them in full."

*** Swipe Your Way Through The Day With This Elegant To-Do App ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/hiddengem-swipes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

*** Easily Transfer Voice Memos From iPhone To The Computer ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/29/transfer-voice-memos-iphone-to-computer/>
OS X Daily

*** ‘Everybody Loves Bob’ ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2013/07/mansfield>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> There’s nothing punitive with Mansfield’s role change, nor health problems or anything like that. Just a more focused role on certain new products. His un-retirement as a senior vice president last year was always intended to be transitional, not permanent.

*** Post-Tragedy ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/07/sara_kushnick_lost_her_whole_family_but_persevered.html>
Emily Yoffe, Slate