[MyAppleMenu] Jul 29, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 29 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Shelf Control: Easily Keep Track Of The Books You Own And Wish To Have With Shelfy ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/shelf-control-easily-keep-track-of-the-books-you-own-and-wish-to-have-with-shelfy>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Shelfy is a personal bookshelf and wishlist app. That is, it lets you save the books that you already own (whether read or unread) and those that you’d like to own.

*** When You're Stone Out Of Luck ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045440/when-youre-stone-out-of-luck.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> When I set about putting together one of these Mac 911 columns I can usually find an appropriate answerable question in a couple of tries. But there are days (of which this is one) when the gods seem to deliver questions whose answer largely boils down to: You are stone out of luck.

*** Maclocks Provides Integrated Locking Solution For The MacBook Air ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/07/29/maclocks-provides-integrated-locking-solution-for-the-macbook-air/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Automator Workflow Of The Month: Easily Encrypt Folders ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044946/automator-workflow-of-the-month-easily-encrypt-folders.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Apple Hardware Engineer No Longer On Roster ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324354704578634630345378010.html>
Ian Sherr, Wall Street Journal

> "Bob is no longer going to be on Apple's executive team but will remain at Apple working on special projects reporting to Tim," an Apple spokesman said, referring to Tim Cook, the company's chief executive.

Apple sure has a lot of special projects.

*** Pushing It To The Limit: 2013 MacBook Air Battery Life Tests ***
<http://www.tekrevue.com/2013/07/28/pushing-it-to-the-limit-2013-macbook-air-battery-life-tests/>
Jim Tanous, TekRevue

> The 2013 MacBook Air battery life is simply incredible, and for many users it may be reason alone to upgrade to the latest models. These results also make us excited to see what Apple has in store for the MacBook Pro refreshes expected for later this year.

*** Apple Senior Vice President Bob Mansfield Removed From Leadership Webpage ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/28/apple-senior-vice-president-bob-mansfield-removed-from-leadership-webpage/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

*** Through The Pylon ***
<http://art-pete.com/2013/07/28/through-the-pylon/>
Art-Pete

*** Review: SushiReader A Simple App For RSS Feeds ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044969/review-sushireader-a-simple-app-for-rss-feeds.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> Instead of overwhelming the user with tons of features, it focuses almost exclusively on displaying a “river of news”—an aggregated list of all the items available for reading, which you can navigate one at a time.

*** O.K., Glass ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/05/130805fa_fact_shteyngart>
Gary Shteyngart, New Yorker

> I hear that in San Francisco the term “Glassholes” is already current, but in New York I am a conquering hero.

*** The Reason I Jump: One Boy's Voice From The Silence Of Autism, By Naoki Higashida – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jul/29/reason-jump-autism-naoki-higashida-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Ned Denny, The Observer

> What sets this book apart from the reams of professional theorising on autism is the fact that it is written by an autistic, and a child to boot. Its short, question-headed chapters aim to disclose the 13-year-old author's "inner self", to make people "understand what we really are, and what we're going through".

*** “& Sons”: Pity A Writer’s Offspring ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/28/sons_pity_a_writers_offspring/>
Laura Miller, Salon