[MyAppleMenu] Jul 28, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 28 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Bank Of Apple: What Cash Hoard Means For Investors ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2013/07/28/apple-quarterly-results-john-shinal-new-tech-economy-usa-today/2588047/?>
John Shinal, USA Today

*** Hands-on With The Leap Motion Controller: Cool, But Frustrating As Hell ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/hands-on-with-the-leap-motion-controller-cool-but-frustrating-as-hell/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> The Leap is neat, but it's not much more than that. It's absolutely not in the same class of convenience as a touchscreen, primarily because interaction with it is so iffy and inconsistent. Lots of fiddling with the Leap control panel and attempting to tune its sensing distance and re-calibrate the device didn't yield any noticeable improvement—it's just new hardware, and it's got some growing pains to experience.

> But it's cool—it's extremely cool. It's not yet a game-changing interface device, but it could be. The exciting thing is that now that the Leap is shipping, the number of developers who get their hands on the thing should greatly increase, so the amount of cool things the Leap can do will also climb.

*** Say Cheese! Cut The Rope Gets Cheesy With Its Brand New Level Pack ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/say-cheese-cut-the-rope-gets-cheesy-with-its-brand-new-level-pack>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** SuperScanner! Is An Impressive Emergency Radio Scanner For Your iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/27/superscanner-is-an-impressive-emergency-radio-scanner-for-your/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Instabrowser Strips Web Pages To Bare Content For Faster Load Times ***
<http://lifehacker.com/instabrowser-strips-web-pages-to-bare-content-for-faste-929117568>
Shep McAllister, Lifehacker

> Instabrowser claims to cut data usage by 90% vs. mobile Safari (depending on the site, obviously), which is great if you have a very weak cell signal, or are just trying to avoid data overages. It accomplishes this feat by stripping away all of the site's formatting and CSS, leaving you with a single column of text (and images, if you want them).

*** Mac Gems: Noted A Nicely-organized Note-taking App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044681/mac-gems-noted-a-nicely-organized-note-taking-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Chris Holt, Macworld

*** The Persisting Vision: Reading The Language Of Cinema ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/aug/15/persisting-vision-reading-language-cinema/?pagination=false>
Martin Scorsese, The New York Review Of Books

> Whenever I hear people dismiss movies as “fantasy” and make a hard distinction between film and life, I think to myself that it’s just a way of avoiding the power of cinema. Of course it’s not life—it’s the invocation of life, it’s in an ongoing dialogue with life.

*** Forty-One False Starts By Janet Malcolm – Review ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jul/28/forty-one-false-janet-malcolm-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rachel Cooke, The Observer

> Janet Malcolm's fierce intelligence – not to mention impatience – is evident in this collection of essays on the arts.

*** Book Review: ‘Mary And Lou And Rhoda And Ted’ By Jennifer Keishin Armstrong ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-mary-and-lou-and-rhoda-and-ted-by-jennifer-keishin-armstrong/2013/07/26/928baee4-acea-11e2-a198-99893f10d6dd_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Suzanne Allard Levingston, Washington Post

> As I folded my hopes into my suitcase, the theme sang out, “You’re gonna make it after all,” and there, miraculously, appeared the final episode of the series. I hadn’t ordered this on Hulu. This was 1980, when Hulu sounded like something you did in a grass skirt. No, this was kismet — a cosmic fluke that Mary’s last show would rerun on my last night home. I took it as a sign. Had there been Twitter, I’d surely have tweeted that I was gonna make it after all, too.

*** Bubbling To The Surface: Maggie O’Farrell’s ‘Instructions For A Heatwave’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/books/review/maggie-ofarrells-instructions-for-a-heatwave.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Stacey D'Erasmo, New York Times

> “Instructions for a Heatwave” dutifully draws the reader through the keeping, and then the disclosure, of what has been concealed, but the novel’s pleasure and urgency lie in the indelibly familiar.

*** Fallen Idols ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/books/review/fallen-idols.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Margo Rabb, New York Times