[MyAppleMenu] Jul 27, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 27 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Tourists Spots In Japan Now Have Camera Stands For iPhones So You Can Snap That Perfect Photo ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/07/26/tourists-spots-in-japan-now-have-camera-stands-for-iphones-so-you-can-snap-that-perfect-photo/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> It’s pretty awkward to ask someone to take a picture of you when you’re touring in another city or country. You just never know when you pass over your iPhone if they’ll accidentally drop it or make a run for it. Japanese tourist spots seem to have solved this problem with camera stands.

*** Mercurial Plugin For Xcode ***
<http://bitsplitting.org/2013/07/26/mercurial-plugin-for-xcode/>
Daniel Jalkut, Bitsplitting.org

> Raphael Sebbe (@rsebbe) put together a nifty plugin for Xcode (version 4 or 5!) that coerces Xcode into substantially supporting Mercurial, in addition to its native support for Git and Subversion.

*** Turn Your iPhone Into A Multitool For The Ultimate Survival Accessory ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/26/turn-your-iphone-into-a-multitool-for-the-ultimate-survival-acce/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> The TaskOne houses a total of 22 different tools including screwdrivers, a knife, wirecutters, a bottle opener, and several others.

*** Mac Gems: Properly Tag Your Videos With IDentify ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044925/mac-gems-properly-tag-your-videos-with-identify.html#tk.rss_all>
Ray Aguilera, Macworld

> Feed IDentify a pile of videos, and it queries multiple databases (TagChimp, TheMovieDB.org, and TheTVDB.com) to fill in the missing metadata in your files.

*** iTunes Workarounds ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045165/itunes-workarounds.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> This week’s column deals with solutions to common (and some less common) problems that use little-known features of iTunes or third-party software. The questions this time can only be solved with a workaround, or by using iTunes in a way it’s not intended.

*** Apple's Dev Center Back Online After 8-Day Downtime ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/26/apple-brings-dev-center-back-online>
Mikey Campbell, AppleInsider

> Apple on Friday brought the iOS, Mac and Safari Dev Centers back from a self-imposed downtime after the website was compromised by "an intruder" last Thursday. Also in the green are "Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles" and "Software Downloads."

*** Can FileVault Be Bypassed With OS X Password Reset Routines? ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57595678-263/can-filevault-be-bypassed-with-os-x-password-reset-routines/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you try to use secondary password reset routines, you will still first have to unlock the FileVault volume so its contents can be accessed. Without this, these password reset routines will be useless. The only way to change a FileVault password when you change your account password is by using the Users & Groups system preferences, and even though there are methods for managing the FileVault password separately, in all cases, in order for the FileVault password to be changed, the disk must first be unlocked.

*** Aud 5 Is A Fine Speaker/dock — If You Have A Lightning-equipped iDevice ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/07/26/aud-5-is-a-fine-speakerdock-if-you-have-a-lightning-equipped-idevice/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

> If you own an iPhone or fifth generation iPod touch, you’ll appreciate iLuv Creative Technology‘s Aud 5, the company’s first audio dock designed specifically for Lightning devices. It looks and sounds great.

*** The Wizards Of OS(X) ***
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d0a7322e-f38b-11e2-b25a-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2aDFBfQ8h>
George Pendle, Financial Times