[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 26 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** How Google And Apple's Contrasting Styles Affect IT ***
<http://www.citeworld.com/consumerization/22177/google-apple-contrasting-styles>
Ron Miller, CITEworld

> Google and Apple have always been a study in contrasts when it comes to their engineering and product development styles, but it was a point that was driven home to me in a big way this month when I tried Google Glass.

*** Troubleshooting A Mac That Will Not Turn On ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57595594-263/troubleshooting-a-mac-that-will-not-turn-on/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> You should need to press your Mac's power button only once in order to turn it on. After doing this, you should hear the boot chimes, then see it load OS X, and drop you to the log-in window. However, what do you do if this doesn't happen, and you neither see nor hear any activity from the system?

> If this should happen to you, there are several things you can do before taking your system in for servicing.

*** Aftermarket SSD On A MacBook Pro: TRIM Gets Tested ***
<http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/macbook-pro-ssd-trim,3538.html>
Manuel Masiero, Tom's Hardware

*** Citymaps, An Ambitious Google Maps Competitor With A Social Twist, Launches On The iPhone ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/24/citymaps/>
Sean Ludwig, VentureBeat

> Taking on Google, Apple, or Nokia in the maps space as a small startup is a little crazy. But that isn’t stopping Citymaps, a high-reaching service that has mapped every city in the U.S. and includes a full-fledged social network that lets you share maps with friends.

*** Extended Apple Downtime Leaves Some Developers In Limbo ***
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57595610-37/extended-apple-downtime-leaves-some-developers-in-limbo/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

> "I'm taking toys out of my kid's hands so I can have something to go and do development work," said Wheeler, whose company, Alminder, makes an app that augments Apple's built-in calendar software. "Otherwise, we're dead in the water. We just can't afford it."

> "Now the developer is getting all the iMessages from my son's friends," he added.

*** Crowsflight Points You In The Right Direction ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/crowsflight-points-you-in-the-right-direction/>
Cody Fink, MacStories

> I like this idea of having a pointer, a directional compass that at least tells you you’re heading in the right direction.

*** Wunderlist Updates Offerings For Pro Users, Introduces Files And Team Pricing ***
<http://www.imore.com/wunderlist-updated-support-file-attachments>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Wunderlist explains Files as the ability to attach files to tasks that others in your team can see and act on. An example Wunderlist gives is how you could upload a file and attach it to a task asking an art designer to add content. Overall, it will be a useful feature for professionals who need to frequently collaborate on projects that involve media files.

*** DevJuice: HockeyCoach Introduces Crash Report Inspection And Management ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/25/devjuice-hockeycoach-introduces-crash-report-inspection-and-man/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> HockeyCoach helps you view and manage your crash reports.

*** Manage Your Business With The Simplicity Of Exigo ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-exigo/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

*** Mac Gems: Get Control Of Your Mac's Desktop With Desktop Groups ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044919/mac-gems-get-control-of-your-macs-desktop-with-desktop-groups.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The app allows you to divide off the contents of the desktop in arbitrary containers—appropriately called “groups.” Each group can be home to as many files as you need, and, like a Finder window, can be resized to your liking.

*** To <i>Steal</i> A Mockingbird? ***
<http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/08/harper-lee-dispute-royalties?src=longreads>
Mark Seal, Vanity Fair

> As the emerging scandal rocked the publishing world, I flew to Monroeville and stood in its former county courthouse, now a museum devoted to the town’s two literary sensations, Harper Lee and Truman Capote, who were childhood neighbors and lifelong friends. Upstairs in the museum is the courtroom where Lee’s father, Amasa Coleman “A. C.” Lee, tried his cases, and where Harper, as a child, and the character Scout in her novel, watched adoringly from the balcony. Lee thinly disguised Monroeville in the book as Maycomb, “a tired old town…. There was no hurry, for there was nowhere to go, nothing to buy and no money to buy it with.” She gave her father the name Atticus Finch.

*** Unprotected: How Legalizing Prostitution Has Failed ***
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/human-trafficking-persists-despite-legality-of-prostitution-in-germany-a-902533.html>
Spiegel