[MyAppleMenu] Jul 25, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 25 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Silent Light Helps Teachers Control The Noise In Their Classrooms ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/25/silent-light-helps-teachers-control-the-noise-in-their-classroom/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

> The premise behind the app is simple -- it uses the microphone on the iOS device to detect background noise and rewards children when they are quiet for a set amount of time.

*** Catan Brings Some Classic Board Game Action To The Mac ***
<http://www.imore.com/catan-brings-some-classic-board-game-action-mac>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Algoriddim Djay 2 Review: Redesigned, More Capable, Improved Audio Syncing ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/25/djay-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zach Khan, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Review: Belkin’s $299 Thunderbolt Express Dock Works Well, Costs Lots ***
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/review-belkins-299-thunderbolt-express-dock-works-well-costs-lots/>
Lee Hutchinson, Ars Technica

> It's fast, expensive, and people are going to be angry it exists. Just like Thunderbolt!

*** Hands-on: BillGuard For iPhone Watches Your Credit Card So You Don't Have To ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045130/hands-on-billguard-for-iphone-watches-your-credit-card-so-you-dont-have-to.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> BillGuard looks for “zombie” subscriptions, recurring memberships, unwanted auto-renewals, slowly increasing monthly fees and the like, and warns you when such charges come up—complete with push notifications with the app.

*** Minimalist Note-Taking App Notefile Gains TextExpander 2.0 Integration And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/minimalist-note-taking-app-notefile-gains-textexpander-2-0-integration-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Apple Urges China To Only Use Official Chargers After Recent Fatality ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/25/4555674/apple-china-official-power-adapter-information-page>
Aaron Souppouris, The Verge

> Following the recent death of a Chinese woman that was reportedly "electrocuted by her iPhone," Apple has posted guidance on its website urging citizens to only use its official chargers.

*** Editing And Annotating Images With Preview ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045136/editing-and-annotating-images-with-preview.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Apple Cyclicality ***
<http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/7/24/apple-cyclicality>
Benedict Evans

> Apple's results yesterday were actually pretty boring. But one of the more interesting things is the way that the iPad is now starting to become just as cyclical as the iPhone.

*** Daily iPad App: Cannon Crasha Offers Nostalgic Medieval Combat ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/25/daily-ipad-app-cannon-crasha-offers-nostalgic-medieval-combat/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

> Cannon Crasha's old-school 16-bit design style works great on the iPad, and everything from your castle to the background environments feel both retro and extremely crisp. The same goes for the sound effects, which are basic but fit in well with the nostalgic vibe.

*** Apple Updates Developer Portal Status, Adds System Status Page ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-updates-developer-portal-status-adds-system-status-page>
Nick Arnott, iMore

> Apple has pushed out an update to their Developer Portal maintenance page to give developers some additional information about the current status of things in the wake of their security breach. The update announces the order in which developers can expect services and functionality to be restored.

According to the new <a href="https://developer.apple.com/support/system-status/">status page</a>, Bug Reporter is back online, together with iTunes Connect which didn't go offline in the first place.

*** Connecting Newton Devices To OS X ***
<http://mattgemmell.com/2013/07/24/connecting-newton-devices-to-os-x/>
Matt Gemmell

*** Work Around A Broken iPhone Button With AssistiveTouch ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13956?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> AssistiveTouch lets you access system functions that may be difficult if you have some sort of physical impairment, like arthritis, a hurt or missing finger, or, in this case, a broken button.

I've turned it on even for a new iPhone, because I no longer trust Apple's home button.

*** Taking Better Meeting Notes With TextExpander ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/7/taking-better-meeting-notes-with-text-expander>
David Sparks, MacSparky

*** Logic Pro X Controls Your Mac Music Studio Via iPad ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-and-publishing/logic-pro-x-macintosh/4505-3626_7-35823623.html>
Dan Ackerman, CNET

*** How To Quickly Force-quit The Current Application In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57595328-263/how-to-quickly-force-quit-the-current-application-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Force-quitting an application can be done directly with one keystroke, if needed.

*** Mac Gems: Should I Sleep Puts Your Mac Into A Proper Sleep Routine ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044786/mac-gems-should-i-sleep-puts-your-mac-into-a-proper-sleep-routine.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Miller, Macworld

> The app relies on six different sensors to decide when it should suspend your sleep settings.

*** Books About Books ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article07241301.aspx>
Nathaniel Popkin, The Smart Set

> What happens when reading and writing become literary subjects?

*** Six Steps Of Life, Measured By Syllable: David Rakoff’s ‘Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/books/david-rakoffs-love-dishonor-marry-die-cherish-perish.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Janet Maslin, New York Times