[MyAppleMenu] Jul 24, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 24 18:59:01 EDT 2013

*** Mac App Of The Week: Caffeinated Is A Polished RSS Reader For Desktop Users ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/24/mac-app-of-the-week-caffeinated-is-a-polished-rss-reader-for-de/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** Review: Create Your Own Audible Biography With StoryPress For iPad ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044968/review-create-your-own-audible-biography-with-storypress-for-ipad.html#tk.rss_all>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

> If you’ve ever had a hankerin’ to sit down and craft your own biography—or to collect the stories of your parents or grandparents before they pass on—StoryPress, a free iPad app from GhostGear Labs, is just the place to start. It helps you record oral histories that sound nearly as polished and professional as the Story Corps pieces you sometimes hear on NPR.

*** EA's Biggest Retail Partner Last Quarter? Apple ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4552036/ea-biggest-retail-partner-last-quarter-was-apple>
Aaron Souppouris, The Verge

> For the first time ever, Electronic Arts (EA), the world's third-largest gaming company, gained more revenue through Apple than any other single partner. All-told, the company's mobile and tablet revenue hit $90 million last quarter, representing 18 percent of its overall takings.

*** How To Control A PC In Thin Air Leap Motion Controller Lets Users Control PCs With Gestures ***
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324328904578623850966650168.html>
Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

> Gestures make most activities more fun—in the digital world and in the real world—but until the Leap Motion Controller becomes more deeply integrated into an operating system so it can replace a mouse or touch pad, this gadget will only sate a niche audience.

*** Options For Securing Password Files In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57595138-263/options-for-securing-password-files-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If you keep a text or Word file on your system that contains all of your passwords, then you might consider options to better secure it.

*** Is Ibrahim Balic Behind The Apple Dev Center Hack? Maybe Not. ***
<http://allthingsd.com/20130723/is-ibrahim-balic-behind-the-apple-dev-center-hack-maybe-not/>
John Paczkowski, All Things D

> Asked explicitly if the company knows the identity of the hacker responsible for the intrusion, a company spokesperson replied, “We cannot comment on that yet.”

*** New QuarkXPress 10: Major Overhaul Modernizes The Publishing Package ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044616/new-quarkxpress-10-major-overhaul-modernizes-the-publishing-package.html#tk.rss_all>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

> QuarkXPress has been revamped from top to bottom, starting with an under-the-hood conversion from the Carbon to the Cocoa programming environment and ending with a new cutting-edge graphics engine and a refreshed user interface. More than 50 feature enhancements promise to streamline the design process and improve the user experience.

*** Post Haste For OS X Creates Project Template Folders ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/23/post-haste-for-os-x-creates-project-template-folders/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

> Post Haste enables you to create named directory hierarchies over and over again. You supply the project name and client name, and Post Haste builds your folders and skeleton files.

*** S.F. District Attorney Pleased With Apple, Samsung Progress On Anti-theft Tech For Smartphones ***
<http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/sf-district-attorney-pleased-with-apple-samsung-progress-on-anti-theft-tech-for-smartphones/Content?oid=2518045>
Mike Aldax, San Francisco Examiner

> "Clear improvements" have been made in future technologies aimed at deterring thieves from stealing smartphones, District Attorney George Gascón said Friday.

*** Equal-opportunity Malware Targets Macs And Windows ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/07/equal-opportunity-malware-targets-macs-and-windows/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> Researchers have uncovered a family of malware that targets both Windows and OS X. Janicab.A, as the trojan is known, is also unusual because it uses a YouTube page to direct infected machines to command-and-control (C&C) servers and follows a clever trick to conceal itself.

*** Capture, Edit And Share Photos In A Snap With Landcam ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-landcam/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

*** Mac Gems: Stay Connected With VPN AutoConnect And Stop VPN Headaches ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044668/mac-gems-stay-connected-with-vpn-autoconnect-and-stop-vpn-headaches.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> This simple $1 utility sits in your Mac’s menu bar and has a singular purpose: to keep you connected to your VPN. Just choose Turn On from the menu, and whenever your VPN disconnects, VPN AutoConnect will re-initiate the connection.

*** Profits Dip Again For Apple, While iPhone Sales Beat Record ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045056/profits-dip-again-for-apple-while-iphone-sales-beat-record.html#tk.rss_all>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

*** The Wait Of The World ***
<http://www.aeonmagazine.com/world-views/what-if-clock-time-no-longer-tracked-the-sun/>