[MyAppleMenu] Jul 31, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 31 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** From iPhone To iPad ***
<http://jackg.org/from-iphone-to-ipad>
Jack Groetzinger

> When I sat down to wireframe this app, what I thought should be a simple exercise of translating a views to a larger screen turned into a big challenge. Creating an iPad UI is hard, I learned—harder than it is for the iPhone.

*** Fixing iTunes' Truncated Tracks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045571/fixing-itunes-truncated-tracks.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Dialogue Controls Your Smartphone From Your Mac, Lets You Make And Record Phone Calls ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/31/4574130/dialogue-app-make-receive-smartphone-calls-mac>
Matt Brian, The Verge

> Compatible with most smartphones, Dialogue sits in your Mac's menubar and silently waits to direct phone calls from your handset to your desktop. It also allows you to make outgoing calls without the need to touch the device.

*** iTunes 11: Add Album Art To Multiple Tracks ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/2013/07/31/itunes-11-add-album-art-to-multiple-tracks/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Adobe Ideas For iOS Updated With Stroke Smoothing, Direct Sharing And Stylus Support ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/adobe-ideas-for-ios-updated-with-stroke-smoothing-direct-sharing-and-stylus-support>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** What To Do (And Not To Do) When Traveling Overseas With Apple Gear ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045191/what-to-do-and-not-to-do-when-traveling-overseas-with-apple-gear.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

*** Disk Drill For OS X Is A Valuable Complement To A Thorough Back-up Program ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/2013/07/31/disk-drill-for-os-x-is-a-valuable-complement-to-a-thorough-back-up-program/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** Apple Finds D.C. Is Tough Without Friends ***
<http://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/apple-finds-dc-is-tough-without-friends-94948.html?hp=f2>
Steve Friess, Politico

> The company marches to its own iTunes, spending little on lobbying, rarely joining trade associations and, in a pattern that’s become more pronounced this summer, refusing to negotiate or settle in many lawsuits.

*** Apple’s Support Document On How To Report iMessage Spam ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/apples-support-document-on-how-to-report-imessage-spam/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Kinemac Mac App Review: A Stellar Animation Tool ***
<http://www.tapscape.com/kinemac-mac-app-review/>
Tucker Cummings, Tapscape

> Learning to animate anything is tough, but Kinemac makes even the most unsurmountable animation tasks seem possible.

*** FoldersSynchronizer 4 Mac App Review: Grab It While It's Cheap! ***
<http://www.tapscape.com/folderssynchronizer-4-mac-app-review/>
Tucker Cummings, Tapscape

> If you’re in need of a tool to synchronize and backup your files and disks, this is just the tool for the job!

*** Kanex meDrive: A Pocket-sized File Server For iOS And OS X ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/30/kanex-medrive-a-pocket-sized-file-server-for-ios-and-os-x/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

> Imagine having a way to access shared files from your Mac, PC, or iOS devices without needing to tie up a computer to act as a file server. That's the idea behind the Kanex meDrive (US$79), a tiny box that connects to your Wi-Fi router and any USB flash or hard drive, and then works with a free companion app to give you your own "personal file server" at home or office.

*** FileMaker Dropping Bento Database App For Mac And iOS ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4573370/filemaker-dropping-bento-database-app-for-mac-and-ios>
Jeff Blagdon, The Verge

> Apple subsidiary FileMaker is dropping Bento, the consumer-friendly database app for OS X and iOS, in order to focus on its core products.

One can wish that iWork is adding (back) a database module, right?

*** Sky Tourist Review ***
<http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/sky_tourist_review>
Nathan Meurnier, Mac Life

> Easily one of the more adorable iOS game offerings of late, Sky Tourist certainly doesn't skimp on innovation.

*** Day One For iOS Review: A Simple, Digital Journal For Life ***
<http://gearburn.com/2013/07/day-one-for-ios-review-a-simple-digital-journal-for-life/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+memeburncom+%28memeburn%29>
Danny Greeff, Gearburn

> What I like most about the app is the way it adds contextual data to your post; it automatically records the location of where you made the journal entry (great for travel journals) and can also add information about the weather to your entry, which (in the long run) could be used to track how the temperature affects your mood, or something like that.

*** There's No Vacation From Fitness: Apps And Gear For Exercising Anywhere ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2045492/theres-no-vacation-from-fitness-apps-and-gear-for-exercising-anywhere.html#tk.rss_all>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, TechHive

> We’ve found some of the simplest gadgets, apps, and Web services to help you stay fit and on track, whether you’re in the air, on the ground, or flitting from city to city.

*** How To Create Color Caricatures On Your Mac ***
<http://mcsolo.com/2013/07/how-to-create-color-caricatures-on-your-mac/>
Ron Mcelfresh, McSolo

*** Back To Instacast ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2013/7/back-to-instacast>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> The big reason for my switch was the release of the Mac app and the ability sync podcasts.

*** Expect Delays: Why Today's Top Apps Are Putting You On A Wait List ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/30/4567794/mailbox-loom-cloud-app-wait-lists>
Ellis Hamburger, The Verge

> In 2013, you can order a pair of cargo shorts from across the globe in less than 30 seconds, so why can’t you download the latest email or photo app to your phone? "Can’t they just add more servers, or throw more money at the problem?" you ask. The answer isn’t so simple.

*** Watch Movie Trailers Quickly With Siri ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/30/watch-movie-trailers-quickly-with-siri/>
OS X Daily

*** GoPro App Lets You Play Back Videos And Goes Social Too ***
<http://www.imore.com/gopro-app-lets-you-play-back-videos-and-goes-social-too>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> Using the software you can remote-control your wearable GoPro action camera. New to this release is the ability to play back videos and view photos, and share the content you're shooting.

*** Flowboard Is A Great Way To Create And Share Content Via Your iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/30/flowboard-is-a-great-way-to-create-and-share-content-via-your-ip/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Flowboard is a well thought out, free app that lets you create presentations with text, video, or graphics.

*** Byword For iOS Gets Improved URL Scheme ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/byword-for-ios-gets-improved-url-scheme/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** Apple Faces App Review Backlog After Developer Center Breach ***
<http://readwrite.com/2013/07/30/apple-faces-app-review-backlog-after-developer-center-breach#awesm=~od7dSF5zBWd24t>
Dan Rowinski, ReadWrite

*** Mac Gems: Push To Talk Creates A Mute Switch For Your Mac's Mic ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045062/mac-gems-push-to-talk-creates-a-mute-switch-for-your-macs-mic.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Push to Talk allows you to do this by assigning a key that either you press to engage the microphone (like a walkie-talkie) or toggle the microphone on and off.

*** Kindle iOS App Offers Free Samples, Straddles Apple's In-app Purchase Rules ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2045575/kindle-ios-app-offers-free-samples-straddles-apples-in-app-purchase-rules.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> Just tap the magnifying glass icon and enter a name or a title. In previous versions of the app, this search option only presented results from your own library—now it will also offer Kindle Free Samples that match the search terms.

*** First Look At MacTech Conference 2013 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13972?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

*** What Is The Icelandic Word For “Four”? ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_good_word/2013/07/cultural_differences_in_counting_numbers_and_math_icelandic_numbers_and.html>
Daniel Tammet, Slate

> Ask an Icelander what comes after three and he will answer, “Three what?” Ignore the warm blood of annoyance as it fills your cheeks, and suggest something, or better still, point. “Ah,” our Icelander replies. Ruffled by the wind, the four sheep stare blankly at your index finger. “Fjórar,” he says at last.

> However, when you take your phrase book—presumably one of those handy, rain-resistant brands—from your pocket and turn to the numbers page, you find, marked beside the numeral four, fjórir. This is not a printing error, nor did you hear the Icelander wrong. Both words are correct; both words mean “four.” This should give you your first inkling of the sophistication with which these people count.

*** Consumed By Colombia In The 1980s: ‘The Sound Of Things Falling,’ By Juan Gabriel Vásquez ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/books/the-sound-of-things-falling-by-juan-gabriel-vasquez.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

> Mr. Vásquez’s novel is a kind of languid existential noir, one that may put you in mind of Paul Auster. Hot things are evoked in cool prose. Everything is, in Miles Davis’s terms, kind of blue.

*** Stephen King’s Family Business ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/magazine/stephen-kings-family-business.html?emc=rss&partner=rss&_r=0>
Susan Dominus, New York Times