[MyAppleMenu] Jul 17, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 17 18:59:00 EDT 2013

Richard Devine, iMore

*** Updated iCab Mobile Web Browser Lets You Open Apps Using Predefined Gestures ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/updated-icab-mobile-web-browser-lets-you-open-apps-using-predefined-gestures>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> Version 7.0 of iCab Mobile introduced a drawing gestures feature that lets you specify gestures not only for opening websites but also for triggering actions.

*** Infinity Blade 2 Adds 5.7 Million New Players Through Apple Free App Promotion ***
<http://www.imore.com/infinity-blade-2-adds-57-million-new-players-through-apple-free-app-promotion>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** Is Apple Killing Paid Upgrades? ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044478/is-apple-killing-paid-upgrades-.html#tk.rss_all>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

> The fact that the world’s largest tech company may have foregone the traditional approach towards upgrades can only signal to customers that a fairly-priced app is a good idea even if you have to fork over the full price every time a major update comes out.

*** Tumblr Tells iOS Users To Download Security Update, Change Their Passwords ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4530570/tumblr-advises-ios-app-security-update-change-passwords>
Jeff Blagdon, The Verge

*** Review: ZaggKeys Keyboard Cases For Easier Typing, Less Insanity ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043953/review-zaggkeys-keyboard-cases-for-easier-typing-less-insanity.html>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

> The ZaggKeys Cover and ZaggKeys Folio are the first two iPad mini keyboards that I can type on without questioning my sanity. Though I prefer the Cover, either is a great option for iPad mini enthusiasts who yearn for an easier typing experience but don’t want to lug around a separate, full-size Bluetooth keyboard.

*** Vesper Goes 003, Adds Support, Text Expander Support ***
<http://www.imore.com/vesper-goes-003-yes-already-adds-support-text-expander-support>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> While iOS includes its own auto-correction feature that can do some of the same things, any Mac user worth their geek cred already lives in Text Expander, and this way all existing snippets will "just work" in Vesper, the same way they do everywhere else. Typing ubiquity.

*** Ohai For App.net ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/ohai-for-app-net/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> A clever idea by Steve Streza: Ohai is a journal app that uses your App.net account to safely store photos and places you’ve checked in.

*** Microsoft Releases OWA For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/microsoft-releases-owa-iphone-and-ipad>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> Microsoft has released OWA for iPhone and iPad, letting users access their Outlook email, calendars, and contacts. These apps are enhanced versions of the Outlook Web App, with added functionality for iOS devices, including voice actions and the ability to receive push notifications.

*** WhatsApp Messenger For iPhone Gets iCloud Chat Backups, Support For Sending Multiple Photos, & URL Schemes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/16/whatsapp-messenger-for-iphone-gets-icloud-chat-backups-support-for-sending-multiple-photos-url-schemes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Apple MacBook Air 11-Inch (Mid 2013) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421844,00.asp?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag+%28PCMag.com%3A+New+Product+Reviews%29>
Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

> We still recommend the 11-inch model for those who need portability more than any other factor, but the fact of the matter is that the 13-inch model is ultimately a better buy and continues as our Editors' Choice for mainstream ultraportable laptops.

*** Review: Bluenote A Secure Alternative To OS X's Notes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044133/review-bluenote-a-secure-alternative-to-os-xs-notes.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> If you're looking for a simple place to store notes, passwords, and to-do lists—something that's slightly above OS X's Notes app—Bluenote could work for you.

*** New Digitally Signed Mac Malware Confuses Users With Right-to-left File Name Tricks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044473/new-digitally-signed-mac-malware-confuses-users-with-right-to-left-file-name-tricks.html#tk.rss_all>
Lucian Constantin, IDG News Service

> Apple displays double extensions for security reasons in the Mac OS X file manager, said Sean Sullivan, a security advisor at F-Secure, Tuesday via email. “Here, the RLO trick is being used to counter that and to make the .app appear to be a .pdf.”

*** David Rakoff’s “Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish” ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/16/david_rakoffs_love_dishonor_marry_die_cherish_perish/>
David Rakoff, Salon

> An excerpt from a novel in verse.

*** Chopped Salad Has Become The Lunch Of Choice In The Northeast ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/dining/chopped-salad-has-become-the-lunch-of-choice-in-the-northeast.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
William Grimes, New York Times

> Ordering a chopped salad is like buying a car. You start with a base price that includes a limited number of toppings, usually four or five. After that, each addition costs extra. How much depends on the ingredient. At Chop’t, tomatoes, black beans and chickpeas each cost 59 cents, feta cheese costs 99 cents, smoked bacon costs $1.49, and steak tops the list at $3.49.

*** A Ghost Story That Lacks An Ending ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/books/robert-kolkers-lost-girls-delves-into-killings.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight garner, New York Times

> Robert Kolker’s “Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery” is, physically, a well-made book. Its cover image is crisp and haunting. Someone has paid close attention to this volume’s many maps. They are stylish and, a rarity, actually helpful.

> This sense of mastery carries over into Mr. Kolker’s lean but ductile prose. Reading this true-crime book, you’re reminded of the observation that easy reading is hard writing.

*** Summer Voyages: Three Men In A Boat By Jerome K Jerome ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/jul/16/three-men-boat-jerome-k-jerome?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian