[MyAppleMenu] Jul 16, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 16 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Apple Puts Its Price Tag Where Its Policy Is, Charges Full Price For Logic Pro X Upgrade On Mac App Store ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-puts-its-price-tag-where-its-policy-charges-full-price-logic-pro-x-mac-app-store>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

> Today, with the launch of Logic Pro X one of the longest running questions in App Store history has, perhaps, finally been answered: What will Apple do when one of their major apps gets updated? And that answer appears to be, charge $199 for the new version, same way they charged $199 for the old version just yesterday.

*** Logic Pro X Loses None Of Its Power, Gains Great New Features ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044283/logic-pro-x-loses-none-of-its-power-gains-great-new-features.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Thanks to its easier-to-use interface, it becomes a viable next step for GarageBand users. Those seeking drum tracks that sound like the real thing rather than loops will be impressed by Logic’s Drummer tracks. Bass players not entirely committed to their hardware rigs (or who can’t lug them around everywhere they hope to record) will appreciate having modeled amps and speakers. Keyboard players seeking traditional timbres should be thrilled with the Retro Synth and B3 instruments. Producers and engineers are already well aware of Logic’s depth and attractions. They simply get more expansive with this release. And everyone with an iPad should be happy with the convenience wrought by Logic Remote.

*** Apple Releases Logic Pro X & MainStage 3 In Mac App Store, Logic Remote For iPad ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/16/apple-releases-major-logic-pro-x-mainstage-3-updates-in-mac-app-store/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Review: Logic Pro X ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/16/review-logic-pro-x/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> Logic Pro X is the best music software release I’ve seen from Apple in a while. They added a lot of pro features, but at the same time managed to make the app more approachable—that’s a difficult thing to do.

*** Top Grossing Freemium Match-Three Game Candy Crush Saga Gains New Levels ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/httpappadvice-comappnn201307freemium-app-candy-crush-saga-earns-a-record-breaking-633000-each-day>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Evernote Keeps Track Of Those Little Bits ***
<http://www.chron.com/business/drmac/article/Evernote-keeps-track-of-those-little-bits-4666788.php>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

*** New OS X Malware Holds Macs For Ransom, Demands $300 Fine To The FBI For ‘Viewing Or Distributing’ Porn ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/07/16/new-os-x-malware-holds-macs-for-ransom-demands-300-fine-to-the-fbi-for-viewing-or-distributing-porn/>
Emil Protalinski, The Next Web

> The security firm Malwarebytes first spotted this latest threat, noting that criminals have ported the ransomware scheme to OS X and are even exploiting a Safari-specific feature.

*** How To Overcome Problems With OS X Dictation ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57593848-263/how-to-overcome-problems-with-os-x-dictation/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=MacFixIt>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> There may be several reasons why Apple's Dictation service will not convert spoken word to text in OS X.

*** 11-Inch MacBook Air Review: Living With Apple's Smallest Laptop ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/15/4523668/11-inch-macbook-air-review>
David Pierce, The Verge

> There's exactly one reason you should buy the 11-inch MacBook Air: you want the absolute smallest computer you can buy, and you don't want a Windows PC. There are plenty of reasons to buy an Air, from the fantastic battery life to the world-beating keyboard and trackpad, but only buy the $999 11-inch model if small is your endgame.

*** IMDB For iOS Adds Movie Ticket Purchasing, iPhone Improvements ***
<http://www.imore.com/imdb-ios-adds-movie-ticket-purchasing-iphone-improvements>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> The free app provides you with access to the free web site's compendium of movie knowledge, using an interface that's thoroughly optimized for mobile devices. And the new 3.3 release adds, for the first time, the ability to buy movie tickets from directly within the app. That function is available only to U.S. citizens, for now.

*** OmniFocus For iPhone Gets Background Location Sync ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/omnifocus-for-iphone-gets-background-location-sync/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Users can now leverage iOS’ geofencing to tell OmniFocus to sync its online database in the background and automatically whenever they enter or leave a specific location.

*** ReadKit 2.2 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13928?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Webin has added Feedly support to version 2.2 of its ReadKit RSS reader and bookmarking app.

*** A History Of The Fig Leaf ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/history/2013/07/the_fig_leaf_in_painting_and_sculpture_excerpt_from_anatomies_by_hugh_aldersey.html>
Hugh Aldersey-Williams, Slate

> The best sight gag in the entire history of art must be the fig leaf. How large it is! And how very suggestive in its shape! How it engrosses what it purports to hide. How many other plant leaves might have done the job with less blatancy. And yet the fig leaf it assuredly is that artists have elected to use when asked to preserve the public decency.

*** Ground Zero Sum ***
<http://www.thenation.com/article/175073/ground-zero-sum#axzz2ZDYAd08g>
Michael Sorkin, The Nation

> The architecture of the new World Trade Center buildings emphasizes that their business is none of ours.

*** ‘Lexicon,’ A Thriller By Max Barry ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/lexicon-a-thriller-by-max-barry/2013/07/15/409b5988-e8a7-11e2-a301-ea5a8116d211_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Graham Sleight, Washington Post

> Years ago, there was a “Monty Python” sketch about the world’s funniest joke devised by the British in World War II. The joke was so hilarious that it caused everyone who heard it to die laughing; when translated into German and read to opposing troops, it proved a devastating weapon. In a sense, “Lexicon” is a book-length version of that sketch, done in earnest as a thriller.

*** JK Rowling's Book Ruse Is A Cautionary Tale For Unknown Writers ***
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/15/jk-rowling-publishing-industry-unknown-writers?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Joan Smith, The Guardian

> The Cuckoo's Calling became an instant bestseller once the Rowling brand emerged – a sad indictment of publishing.

*** Prude At Penthouse ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/15/prude_at_penthouse/>
Margaret Meehan, Salon

> I was so bashful I could hardly say the word "sex." But my job at the porn mag was an education in being unashamed.

*** Jack Handey Is The Envy Of Every Comedy Writer In America ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/magazine/jack-handey-is-the-envy-of-every-comedy-writer-in-america.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed&_r=0>
Dan Kois, New York Times