[MyAppleMenu] Jul 18, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 18 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** Kickstarter-Funded Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded Finally Reaches The App Store ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/07/kickstarter-funded-leisure-suit-larry-reloaded-finally-reaches-the-app-store>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Review: NoteSuite A Powerful Note-taking App For Mac And iPad ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044248/review-notesuite-a-powerful-note-taking-app-for-mac-and-ipad.html#tk.rss_all>
Brian Beam, Macworld

*** Daily iPad App: Peterest Is Pinterest For Your Pets ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/17/daily-ipad-app-peterest-is-pinterest-for-your-pets/>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** Apple Joins Alliance Of Tech Heavyweights To Demand Increased NSA Transparency ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/17/apple-joins-alliance-of-tech-heavyweights-to-demand-increased-nsa-transparency>
AppleInsider

*** Candy Crush Saga (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421804,00.asp>
Max Eddy, PC Magazine

> Candy Crush Saga (free) is a quintessential time-waster casual game for iOS and Android that is as easy to get addicted to as it is to play.If you want mindless color-matching, and can withstand the temptation of in-app purchases, then look no further.

*** Apple Pulls Poker Apps After Prod From Australia ***
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/17/apple_pulls_poker_apps_after_prod_from_australia/>
Simon Sharwood, The Register

> Apple was targeted because its App Store offered apps from two outfits, PokerStars and 888 Poker, both of which offered the chance to gamble with real money.

*** Faith And Works At Apple ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2013/jul/17/faith-and-works-apple/>
Edward Mendelson, The New York Review Of Books

> AppleScript, a simple-to-use programming language (purists call it a “scripting language”) is unlike anything else in the digital universe, even in the lawless Wild West of Linux and Android. AppleScript gives any individual worshipper much of the autonomy and freedom in using a computer that is otherwise possible only for the priesthood of programmers—and in iOS is limited even for programmers, in part through the design of iOS itself, in part because of Apple’s watchful, restrictive eye.

*** Dollarbird Helps You Track Expenses With An Easy-To-Use Calendar-Like Design ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/07/17/dollarbird-helps-you-track-expenses-with-an-easy-to-use-calendar-like-design/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> It’s essentially a finance-tracking app that uses a simple calendar-like design to help you keep track of earnings, bills, and expenses. Like the app description says, it’s as easy “as adding events to a calendar!”

*** Google Maps 2.0 For iOS Review: Now With Explore, Traffic, And iPad Support ***
<http://www.imore.com/explore-traffic-ipad-taking-look-google-maps-ios-20>
Richard Devine, iMore

> The new stuff is great, and some of it – traffic in navigation in particular – maybe long overdue, but still a welcome addition. Maps on iPad is great to have, and some of the design elements are excellent, just as we've come to expect from Google. But, it's janky to use at times which isn't good, and we've come to expect so much better from Google's iOS apps.

*** Screenshot FX Will Easily Capture Any Image On Your Mac ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/17/screenshot-fx-will-easily-capture-any-image-on-your-mac/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> Lets you capture irregular objects by clicking on points and then dragging those points to create a curve.

*** Chrome For iOS Adds Google Apps Integration, Experimental Data Compression ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044577/chrome-for-ios-adds-google-apps-integration-experimental-data-compression.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

*** Apple MacBook Air 11-Inch 2013: Netbook With Next-gen Tech ***
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/17/review_apple_macbook_air_11_inch_2013/>
Stephen Dean, The Register

> It’s a shame that the 2013 update wasn’t a little more ambitious, but the 11-inch MacBook Air is still one of the most attractive ultraportable, netbook-size laptops currently available.

*** Bugshot Brings iOS 7-Style Image Annotation To The iPhone And iPad ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13934?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Stop Chopping My Salad ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/07/against_chopped_salad_traditional_salad_is_great_and_the_chop_t_trend_is.html>
Forrest Wickman, Slate

> If this willy-nilly chopping is allowed to continue, we could all soon be spooning salads out of shakers—an approach even McDonalds had the good sense to abandon—or sipping them out of straws. Do we really want the next big lunch chain to be <i>Puree’d</i>?

*** Whither Cultural Critics? ***
<http://www.psmag.com/culture/the-value-of-cultural-critics-books-movies-television-art-62131>
Adam Waytz, Pacific Standard

> With access to books, movies, and television more open than ever, and research showing that crowdsourcing leads to biases, cultural criticism needs to change.

*** A Village Invents A Language All Its Own ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/science/linguist-finds-a-language-in-its-infancy.html?ref=science&_r=0>
Nicholas Bakalar, New York Times