[MyAppleMenu] Jul 12, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 12 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** More Free Online Storage In A Box For Macs ***
<http://bohemianboomer.com/2013/07/more-free-online-storage-in-a-box-for-macs/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Bohemian Boomer

*** Review: Roaming Fortress Is A Tower Defense Game With A Twist ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2044051/review-roaming-fortress-is-a-tower-defense-game-with-a-twist.html#tk.rss_all>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, TechHive

> Instead of defending a static tower or central point while enemies move through your map, Roaming Fortress asks you to defend a moving tower.

*** Steve Jobs Was Not A School Teacher! ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/12/steve_jobs_was_not_a_school_teacher/>
David Sirota, Salon

> Why are cash-starved school districts sending public funds to Apple -- while laying off teachers? Follow the money.

*** Best Buy Launching Two-day iPad Trade-in Promotion Starting Today, $200 Gift Card For Your Old iPad! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-buy-launching-two-day-ipad-trade-promotion-starting-today-200-gift-card-your-old-ipad>
Richard Devine, iMore

> Starting today, for just two days only, Best Buy is offering a $200 gift card when you trade in your old but working iPad 2 or iPad 3. The gift card is valid to use towards any in-store or online purchase, so if you wanted to pick up a new iPad, or iPad mini, you're looking at a hefty saving when you trade-in your old one.

*** Adobe Audition CC: Solid Upgrade Hampered By Subscription Pricing ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043340/adobe-audition-cc-solid-upgrade-hampered-by-subscription-pricing.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> The only thing that will prevent me from using it on into the future is the requirement that I rent rather than own it. Audition is a wonderful tool, but its talents and audience make it an inappropriate choice for subscription-only access.

*** Of Cross-fades And Combined Tracks ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044017/of-cross-fades-and-combined-tracks.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> In this week’s column, I look at a few very different topics. One common question I get is about the iTunes Store and sending gifts to other countries; another concerns joining two music files to make one; and I also explain how you can cross-fade songs on an iOS device.

*** Tackle OS X Applications Opening Outside The Bounds Of Your Display ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57593369-263/tackle-os-x-applications-opening-outside-the-bounds-of-your-display/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> If a program cannot be accessed because it's outside of the limits of your display, here are a couple of options you can try to restore it.

*** Apple App Store Marks 5 Years Of App-ortunity ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2013/07/09/5-years-of-apple-apps/2499299/>
Jefferson Graham, USA Today

*** AirPort Utility 6.3.1 For Mac ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13918?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** UpTo Social Networking App Morphs Into A Modern Calendar With A Social Twist ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/07/11/upto-social-networking-app-morphs-into-a-modern-calendar-with-a-social-twist/>
Erica Ogg, GigaOM

> UpTo is merging the need for a better calendar with its original premise, which was to create social connections around activities and events. In addition to syncing with Outlook, iOS Calendar, Google Calendar and Yahoo Calendar, users can follow streams of activities and RSVP or talk about the event with friends right in the app.

*** Rovio Launches Latest Game For iOS, Tiny Thief ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/07/11/rovio-launches-latest-game-for-ios-tiny-thief/>
Kaylie Moise, Macgasm

> Tiny Thief is a point-and-click puzzle game that requires you to find hidden objects along your adventure.

*** Get Super Quick SSH Shortcuts From The Mac OS X Menu Bar With Shuttle ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/11/use-super-quick-ssh-shortcuts-from-the-mac-os-x-menu-bar-with-shuttle/>
OS X Daily

*** Recent Menu Lets You Find Recently-used Files Quickly ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2013/07/11/recent-menu-lets-you-find-recently-used-files-quickly/>
Ilene Hoffman, TUAW

> If you open and close many files throughout the course of a day, at some point you may forget what you named a file or even which program you used to create or open a file. Recent Menu from developer Tim Schroeder addresses this annoyance with a menu item app.

*** Apple Investigates Claims That It's Using Dangerous, Illegally Mined Tin In Your iPhone ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/4515444/apple-illegal-tin-mining-bangka-island-indonesia>
Matt Brian, The Verge

> Apple has said it has "lead a fact-finding visit" to Bangka Island, Indonesia to identify if its suppliers are sourcing tin from unregulated and illegal mines. In an update to its Supplier Responsibility page on its website, Apple confirmed it has funded a new environmental task group to investigate mining operations in the area to "better understand the situation." The move addresses a sustained Friends of the Earth campaign calling for Apple to publicly come clean about where the tin in its smartphones comes from.

*** DEVONthink And DEVONnote 2.6 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13914?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> DEVONnote and all three versions of DEVONthink provide support for importing Evernote notes (including names, tags, and dates), as well as importing references from the Bookends reference management app.

*** Shazam For iPhone, iPad Review - Discovery App Brings A World Of Music Closer ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/reviews/?reviewid=3457053&olo=rss>
Nick Spence, Macworld UK

> Music discovery app Shazam automatically identifies music around you with great success.

*** Vine 1.3 (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414732,00.asp?>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

*** Hands On: IFTTT For iOS Automates Your Online Life ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044123/hands-on-ifttt-for-ios-automates-your-online-life.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Moren, Macworld

> With all the advances and conveniences that iOS offers, there’s one place that OS X continues to trump Apple’s mobile platform: automation. But with the appearance of IFTTT for iPhone, that gap is perhaps narrower than it once was.

*** Hands On: Any.do's Cal Is A Clever, Sleek Little Calendar App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044130/hands-on-any-dos-cal-is-a-clever-sleek-little-calendar-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Cal, Any.do’s new calendaring app, attempts to show you your schedule in a way that lets you maximize your free time during a day.

*** Sony Adds High Quality Streaming And Offline Listening To Music Unlimited On iOS ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2044122/sony-adds-high-quality-streaming-and-offline-listening-to-music-unlimited-on-ios.html#tk.rss_all>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

*** The Rise Of The Machines ***
<http://www.neh.gov/humanities/2013/julyaugust/feature/the-rise-the-machines>
Meredith Hindley, Humanities

> During the previous fifteen years, computers had been making inroads into the humanities, emerging as more than a passing curiosity by the mid 1960s. The digital humanities—or “humanities computing,” as it was then known—used machines the size of small cars, punch cards, and data recorded on magnetic tape. To many scholars, its methods, which depended on breaking down texts into data elements, seemed alien, as did the antiseptic atmosphere of the computer lab. But for those who didn’t mind working away from the comforting smell of musty old books, a new field was opening up, a hybrid discipline that would receive significant assistance from the National Endowment for the Humanities, which made its debut in 1965.

*** Last Song For Migrating Birds ***
<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/songbird-migration/franzen-text?src=longreads>
Jonathan Franzen, Photography by David Guttenfelder, National Geographic Magazine