[MyAppleMenu] Jul 11, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 11 18:59:00 EDT 2013

*** IFTTT For iPhone: A Different Kind Of iOS Automation ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/ifttt-for-iphone-a-different-kind-of-ios-automation/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

*** How To Capture Your Mac's Audio For Free ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2043722/how-to-capture-your-macs-audio-for-free.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> You’ve likely found yourself in this position more than once: Your Mac is playing audio that you’d love a permanent copy of, but the application you’re using doesn’t provide a way to do that. While you could turn to one of the few commercial Mac applications that perform this task, there’s a way to go about it that won’t cost you a nickel.

*** My Little RSS News Reader, SushiReader, Updated To 2.0.2 ***
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2013/07/11/article01/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

This is just a short note to tell you that <a href="http://www.sushireader.com/">SushiReader</a>, the little RSS news reader app for Mac OS X that I've build for myself, has been updated to version 2.0.2. This version includes bug-fixes, as well as an activity window to show currently-refreshing subscriptions, as well as a better (in my humble opinion) full-screen view.

*** Deus Ex: The Fall Review ***
<http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-08-deus-ex-the-fall-review>
Christian Donlan, Eurogramer.net

*** Review: Injustice: Gods Among Us ***
<http://www.powerpage.org/2013/07/09/review-injustice-gods-among-us/>
Chris Barylick, O'Grady's PowerPage

*** Review: Smart Card Readers For The iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/review-smart-card-readers-the-iphone-and-ipad-222346>
Joseph Roth, InfoWorld

*** Knights Of Pen And Paper +1 Edition For OS X Review ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/119958/119958/>
Bill Stiteler, TechnologyTell

> Grab your two-liter bottle of Mountain Dew and off-brand cheesy snacks; <i>Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition</i> is a love-letter to old school tabletop dungeon crawls, told with a lot of humor and 16 bit graphics. A delightful combination of sitting around a table rolling dice and playing a Gameboy RPG, it overcomes repetitious gameplay with humor.

*** Quickly Navigate OS X Menu Extras With Arrow Keys ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57593100-263/quickly-navigate-os-x-menu-extras-with-arrow-keys/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> In addition to system menus, menu extras in OS X can be quickly accessed with a keystroke.

*** Apple’s Latest Setback Won’t Bring E-book Prices Down ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/10/apples_latest_setback_wont_bring_e_book_prices_down/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> After settling with the DOJ, publishers were allowed to continue selling their e-books via retailers using a commission-based system called the agency model. However, the agency model typically allows publishers to set the retail prices of their titles. Under the terms of the settlement, retailers are now allowed to discount these e-books, but only until 2014. “After the DoJ sanctions end in 2014,” Albanese wrote, “publishers will largely have control over final consumer prices, and thus, in 2014, you will likely see e-book prices rise, depending on other market factors, of course.”

*** How Apple Led An E-book Price Conspiracy—in The Judge’s Words ***
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/07/how-apple-led-an-e-book-price-conspiracy-in-the-judges-words/>
Jon Brodkin, Ars Technica

> In its opening statement, Apple identified five "essential links" the plaintiffs had to establish to prove Apple led the conspiracy. These links, Cote wrote, were that the publishers signed Apple’s agency agreements with an MFN and price caps, that the MFN sharpened the publishers' incentives to demand agency agreements from Amazon, that the agency demands convinced Amazon of the futility of resistance, that Amazon agreed to agency deals in circumstances in which it would not have if not for the Apple MFN, and that publishers raised prices to the price caps as per the agreements with Apple.

> "All of the 'links' that Apple identified in its opening statement were established at trial, and Apple did not argue otherwise in its summation," Cote wrote. "Apple similarly abandoned by summation its theory that Apple was unaware that the Publisher Defendants would use their new pricing authority to raise e-book prices; over the course of the trial, Apple’s witnesses admitted that they expected the Publisher Defendants to raise their e-book prices to Apple’s price caps."

*** In Apple Case, ‘The Line Between The Legal And The Illegal Seems So Thin’ ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/07/10/in-apple-case-the-line-between-the-legal-and-the-illegal-seems-so-thin/>
Timothy B. Lee, Washington Post

> [Judge Cote] goes through a list of all the individual clauses [in Apple's contracts with publishers], and says none of those are problematic individually. [But Judge Cote ruled against Apple because of] her sense that the launching pad for this particular negotiation was the lure of higher prices.

> But Apple can make a defense of each of these clauses. I run into these cases with some frequency. You teach a case and you say what’s the practical advice? The line between the legal and the illegal seems so thin. Apple’s trying to make a decision in a very narrow window [the negotiations with publishers lasted from November 2009 to January 2010], and we’re going to scrutinize it at leisure after the fact.

*** Explaining The Apple Ebook Price Fixing Suit ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/13912?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Cote’s 160-page opinion is remarkably well-written and is a fascinating read, at least if you’re interested in the chronology and minutia of this case. I’ve read the entire thing, and have found it far more compelling than the soap opera media coverage of the trial, which took place from 3 June 2103 through 20 June 2013. It also clarifies numerous points and questions that came up during and since the trial. Rather than attempt to summarize the entire opinion, I’m going to focus on answering questions surrounding it, based on what Judge Cote wrote.

*** Bartholomew And The Oobleck, Another Dr. Seuss Classic, Now Available For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/another-dr-seuss-classic-now-available-iphone-and-ipad-bartholomew-and-oobleck>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you're a fan of Dr. Seuss, Oceanhouse Media has just released yet another one of the popular stories in iPhone and iPad format. Aside from reading Bartholomew and the Oobleck, there are many interactive bonus features available as well.

*** Means, Motive, And Opportunity: Why Antitrust Lawyers Smacked Down Apple's iBookstore ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/10/4512058/means-motive-and-opportunity-apple-ebook-price-fixing-loss>
Adi Robertson, The Verge

> Any individual agreement between Apple and the publishers, including contracts that set prices, could have been legal. But the Sherman Antitrust Act prohibits firms from collaborating "with the effect of raising, depressing, fixing, pegging, or stabilizing the price of a commodity," and bans "horizontal conspiracies," where a group of companies who should be competitors band together to raise their bottom line.

> But while Apple clearly wasn’t directly competing with any publishing house, it could still be liable if it had been part of the scheme and helped to make it possible. To win its case, the Justice Department needed to first convince Cote that a price-fixing conspiracy between publishers existed, and then that Apple had been a "knowing participant" who facilitated the agreement.

> Unfortunately for Apple, Cote decided that the Justice Department had proved its case on both counts.

*** Apple Will Appeal Ruling In E-Book Price-Fixing Case ***
<http://techland.time.com/2013/07/10/apple-will-appeal-ruling-in-e-book-price-fixing-case/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+timeblogs%2Fnerd_world+%28TIME%3A+Techland%29>
Larry Neumeister, Associated Press

> Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr says Apple didn’t conspire to fix e-book pricing and would continue to fight the “false accusations.”

Also:
• <a href="http://allthingsd.com/20130710/apples-chances-on-an-e-book-ruling-appeal-are-lousy-say-legal-scholars/">Apple’s Chances on an E-Book Ruling Appeal Are Lousy, Say Legal Scholars</a> (John Paczkowski, AllThingsD): Samuelson’s point: Apple argued that the facts show no conspiracy in restraint of trade. But Cote found that the company’s actions were a per se violation of antitrust law. In other words, they were inherently illegal, so there was no need to prove that they had any anticompetitive effect on the e-books market. And Cote’s opinion relies so heavily on facts that it leaves very little room for an appellate court reversal.

*** Novelists, Rewrite Your Cyberthrillers ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/07/11/novelists_rewrite_your_cyberthrillers/>
Charlie Huston, Salon

> Edward Snowden makes the giant cybertakedown look passé. I wish I'd put him in my novel.

*** Hospital Surgery Recovery: How Food Deliveries From Family And Friends Got Me Through ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/hospital-surgery-recovery-how-food-deliveries-from-friends-and-family-got-me-through/2013/07/08/5ceb7482-e36c-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html>
David Hagedorn, Washington Post

> You know those people who undergo major surgery but keep it under the radar because they don’t want to be a bother to anyone? Well, I’m not one of them.

> Before my hip replacement in mid-May, I let everyone know I was open to receiving lavish attention, especially the edible sort. Enduring bone-on-bone arthritis for several years and having a hip replaced at 54 surely earned me some pampering.

*** A Minimalist Approach To Cooking On Vacation ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/dining/a-minimalist-approach-to-cooking-on-vacation.html?ref=dining>
Melissa Clark, New York Times