[MyAppleMenu] Dec 24, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 24 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Opinion: The New Mac Pro Makes The iMac The Power User's Desktop ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2082578/opinion-the-new-mac-pro-makes-the-imac-the-power-users-desktop.html>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> I think it’s fantastic that people like me, whose needs are considerably more demanding than those of the typical computer user, but not in the realm of a professional-app user, no longer have to splurge on a Mac Pro. The new Mac Pro is a pretty great computer. It’s just no longer the Mac for me.

*** Mac Pro (Late 2013) Review: Apple's New Mac Pro Really Is For Pros ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2082515/mac-pro-late-2013-review-apples-new-mac-pro-really-is-for-pros.html#tk.rss_all>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

> Instead of the wind-tunnel-like noise levels you’d sometimes hear with previous Mac Pro models, the 2013 Mac Pro’s fan is generally very quiet. In fact, in normal use, it’s nearly silent: If you put your ear next to the vent on the top, you hear only a quiet hum. (Apple told us the computer produces only about 12dB of noise at idle, and roughly 17dB under load.) In my quiet office, I couldn’t hear the Mac Pro’s fan over the noise of my 2010 iMac, even when live-rendering some effects on 4K video in Final Cut Pro X.

> There are good reasons for separating storage and other expansion peripherals from the computer itself, including size, heat, and noise. Apple says that some of its pro users—for example, those working in recording and production studios—actually want to get hot, noisy components (such as hard drives and RAID arrays) away from the computer and the work area.

*** I Can Make Your Parking Tickets Disappear ***
<http://www.citywatchla.com/8br-hidden/6204-i-can-make-your-parking-tickets-disappear>
Michael Brouillet, CityWatch

> I’m not a programmer, but I am a decent learner. First, I downloaded the free Apple software development kit, SDK, which allows rogue do-gooders to turn their ideas into iPhone apps. Then, I watched some basic YouTube explanatory videos. Finally, I broke down and bought a couple of Xcode programming books. After a few false starts, I created, designed, and fully coded my iPhone app in just a few months.

*** Apple Mac Pro Review (2013) ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/23/5234574/apple-mac-pro-review-2013>
David Pierce, The Verge

> The new Mac Pro is an undeniably serious and powerful machine aimed at professionals. But it's also incredibly expensive, and at least from my Adobe-centric perspective, it's not quite worth the outlay right now. The day-to-day performance is similar enough to that of the iMac that I'd have a difficult time convincing my boss to spend double the money on this computer, plus a monitor, plus the Thunderbolt peripherals I'd need to make it a viable solution — at least, not until Adobe makes its suite shine on the new hardware the way Final Cut Pro X does. At the end of the day, I'm back to hoping, but this time that third-party developers step up.

*** The Verge At Work: Making Perfect Pictures On Your iPhone ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/23/5210112/the-verge-at-work-making-perfect-pictures-on-your-iphone>
Jordan Oplinger, The Verge

> I spent years chasing the perfect photo workflow, auditioning countless apps across multiple platforms, before landing on my current setup: an iPhone 5S paired with a handful of apps. While several of these tools are cross-platform and the underlying ideas can be applied regardless of your mobile OS, this is my personal iOS workflow.

*** Five Signs Your Laptop Is Dying, And What To Do About It ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2071602/five-signs-your-laptop-is-dying-and-what-to-do-about-it.html#tk.rss_all>
Annabell Halpert, IDG

> It won’t shake, rattle, or smoke (hopefully) when it’s nearing the end. But with a little bit of guidance, you may be able to identify the symptoms of a sick system, and perhaps even cure them. Here’s how.

*** EverDock Duo For iPhone And iPad Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/everdock-duo-iphone-and-ipad-review>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you're looking for a quality docking solution that can also charge your iPhone or iPad at the same time, the EverDock is an option worth looking at. The only time I may be hesitant to recommend it is if you use a lot of cases since the results seem to be mixed.

*** Best iPad Air Keyboard Case: Zagg Vs. Logitech Vs. Belkin! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-ipad-air-keyboard-case-zagg-logitech-belkin>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Vesper: Elegant Notes Review: A Pleasantly Simple And Useful Note-taking iOS App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2081136/vesper-elegant-notes-review-a-pleasantly-simple-and-useful-note-taking-ios-app.html#tk.rss_all>
Brian Beam, Macworld

*** Book Review: 'Jesus,' By Jay Parini. ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304367204579268262350729036>
Barton Swaim, Wall Street Journal

> The point here isn't that the Gospels must be true. It is that the Gospels offer no easy way to explain away their content. They therefore demand one of two choices. Either they relay things that Jesus actually said and did, in which case he really is who the New Testament claims he is, or they are haphazard collections of deliberately fabricated stories about a man who may have said some extraordinary things in first-century Judea but who has no more claim on your attention than Socrates.

*** Christmas Eve ***
<http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/242566>
Bill Berkson, Poetry Foundation

*** One Man’s Trash Is Another’s Treasure, And Another’s Crime: 'Want Not,' A Novel By Joanthan Miles ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/24/books/want-not-a-novel-by-jonathan-miles.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
David Haglund, New York Times