[MyAppleMenu] Dec 25, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 25 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Google Sues To Protect Android Device Makers From Apple-backed Patent Hell ***
<http://gigaom.com/2013/12/24/google-sues-to-protect-android-device-makers-from-apple-backed-patent-hell/>
Jeff John Roberts, GigaOM

> In a complaint filed Monday in San Jose, Google claims that Rockstar’s patent campaign is taking aim at hundreds of California tech companies and that the litigation has “placed a cloud on Google’s Android platform,” threatening Nexus devices in particular.

*** How To Extend The Life Of Your Devices ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2080813/how-to-extend-the-life-of-your-devices.html#tk.rss_all>
Annabell Halpert, IDG

*** Let.ter For Mac Adds Markdown, Removes The Inbox From Your Email ***
<http://www.imore.com/letter-mac-adds-markdown-removes-inbox-your-email>
Richard Devine, iMore

*** The Death Of The Funeral Business ***
<http://www.phillymag.com/articles/death-funeral-business/?all=1&src=longreads>
Sandy Hingston, Philadelphia

> The wheels are coming off the funeral business as God takes a backseat to online memorials, Facebook messages and “life celebrations.” How we’re blurring the line between life and the grave.

*** Book Review: ‘Bach: Music In The Castle Of Heaven’ By John Eliot Gardiner ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-bach-music-in-the-castle-of-heaven-by-john-eliot-gardiner/2013/12/23/ac347e2c-55df-11e3-ba82-16ed03681809_story.html>
Sudip Bose, Washington Post

> The image of Johann Sebastian Bach that has come down to us through the centuries — that of a self-taught, flawless man who, in pious isolation, composed some of the world’s greatest musical masterpieces — is largely due to Bach himself. It was an image he wanted desperately to preserve, and his second son, C.P.E. Bach, and his student Johann Friedrich Agricola obliged, publishing a lengthy, idolatrous obituary notice in 1754, a few years after the composer’s death. Thus was the Bach mythology created. And yet, as the esteemed English conductor John Eliot Gardiner writes in this exhaustive study — the summation of a lifetime’s absorption in the baroque master’s religious music — Bach may have been “an unfathomable genius,” but he was also self-important, peevish and something of a rebel, to name just a few of his lesser-known traits.

*** Jesse Willms, The Dark Lord Of The Internet ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/01/the-dark-lord-of-the-internet/355726/>
Taylor Clark, The Atlantic