[MyAppleMenu] Dec 23, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 23 18:59:01 EST 2013

*** Giving The Gift Of Yourself ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2082506/giving-the-gift-of-yourself.html#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

> Here at Mac 911, I’ve established something of a tradition of providing my technical expertise to those I care for. If you’re of a like mind, I’d like to make a few suggestions.

*** Numismatik Is New Coin Collection Tool For Mac OS X ***
<http://appledailyreport.com/numismatik-is-new-coin-collection-tool-for-mac-os-x/>
Dennis Sellers, Apple Daily Report

*** NY School Goes All-in On Digital Textbooks ***
<http://www.nbcnews.com/business/ny-school-goes-all-digital-textbooks-2D11792419>
Jim Fitzgerald, The Associated Press

> [Ann Flynn] noted that several factors are only encouraging the move: Prices for tablets and laptops are dropping, more states are agreeing on a Common Core curriculum and online resources such as Khan Academy are becoming available.

*** You Can’t Save Them All: The Walking Dead: Season Two Is Appropriate For Beginners ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/arts/video-games/the-walking-dead-season-two-is-appropriate-for-beginners.html?_r=0>
Chris Suellentrop, New York Times

> It’s particularly good as an example of how to give a player interpretive freedom without undermining the integrity of the story or the characters — or relying on black-and-white “moral choices.”

*** Ember For Mac OS X Review ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/128241/ember-for-mac-os-x-review/>
Krisette Capati, TechnologyTell

> Ember is a beautifully designed application for curating, collecting, and organizing ideas through photos and designs, allowing you to save files and categorize them according to collections, tags, and library.

*** Mac Pro Pricing Over Time ***
<http://www.marco.org/2013/12/22/mac-pro-pricing-over-time>
Marco Arment

> As their prices have crept upward, the high-end options have become more <i>specialized</i> at the expense of economy and some general-purpose performance.

*** deGeo: A Simple, Useful Geotag Remover For iOS ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/degeo-a-simple-useful-geotag-remover-for-ios/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> It's a geotag remover that lets you pick photos from your Camera Roll, clean them up to remove metadata, and share them or export them again with no location data attached.

*** Apple Finally Has Access To China Mobile's 700 Million Subscribers ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/22/4710262/apple-iphone-china-mobile-deal>
Aaron Souppouris, The Verge

> Following years of rumor and negotiation, Apple has finally succeeded in bringing the iPhone to the world's largest mobile provider, China Mobile. The carrier today announced that the iPhone 5S and 5C are coming to its new 4G network. It's the first time Apple has access to China Mobile's vast customer base; the company has over 700 million users.

Also: <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/12/22China-Mobile-Apple-Bring-iPhone-to-China-Mobiles-4G-3G-Networks-on-January-17-2014.html">China Mobile & Apple Bring iPhone to China Mobile’s 4G & 3G Networks on January 17, 2014</a> (Apple)

*** China's Worst Diplomat: The Fall Guy ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/christmas-specials/21591796-bad-emperors-get-all-credit-crumbling-dynasties-what-incompetent>
The Economist

> In Beijing the blame for all of this was falling heavily on the head of one plump, bewhiskered gentleman, Wanyan Chonghou. A wealthy nobleman and formerly a trusted confidant of the imperial family, Chonghou, then 54, was in prison awaiting decapitation. He had been sentenced to death, essentially for the crime of being China’s worst ever diplomat. Sent to Russia to extract concessions from the tsar, he made them instead.

*** “The Trip To Echo Spring”: Great Writers, Getting Drunk ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/12/22/the_trip_to_echo_spring_great_writers_getting_drunk/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> John Cheever, after an afternoon spent reading about the ruination of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s life by alcohol, wrote “I am … one of those men who read the grievous accounts of hard-drinking, self-destructive authors, holding a glass of whiskey in our hands, the tears pouring down our cheeks.” Cheever’s not alone in that, and so a reader might be excused for approaching Olivia Laing’s “The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking,” with trepidation, thinking it might turn out to be devoted to provoking such weepy scenes.

> It’s not, and furthermore, I can attest that “The Trip to Echo Spring” is a rewarding book to wend your way through even if the writers Laing focuses on — Cheever, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, Raymond Carver and the American poet John Berryman — aren’t among your particular favorites.

*** Your Penis Is Huge ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/12/average_penis_size_human_penises_are_huge_compared_to_other_primates.html>
Tom Hickman, Slate