[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2013

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Dec 20 18:59:00 EST 2013

*** Apple Thinks Different For Christmas ***
<http://kensegall.com/2013/12/apple-thinks-different-for-christmas/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

> Most of these people mistake their personal opinion, instinct, values and/or taste for actual marketing talent. There are tens of millions of people who will stop in their tracks at this commercial and wipe a tear from their eye. As a result, they will feel slightly more attached to Apple, which is the marketing purpose of this spot.

*** 5 Apps That Ease Your Commute ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2081130/5-apps-that-ease-your-commute.html#tk.rss_all>
Christina DesMarals, PCWorld

> These apps can help you save money, stay sane, and reclaim some time from the road.

I commute via public transport, and two apps make my commute tolerable: audio books via Audible, and podcasts via Downcast.

*** What Happens When One Of Your Coworkers Dies ***
<http://thebillfold.com/2013/12/what-happens-when-one-of-your-coworkers-dies/>
Michael Hobbes, The Billfold

> The first thing that happens is someone tells you.

*** Note To Selfie ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/12/twitter_facebook_instagram_it_s_possible_to_use_social_media_mindfully.html>
John Dickerson, Slate

> We’re told that we spend too much time recording moments instead of living in them. That’s a false choice.

*** 21 Ways That Option Click Makes OS X Better ***
<http://www.applegazette.com/mac/21-ways-option-click-makes-os-x-better/>
Apple Gazette

> The Option key on the Mac keyboard gives users a lot more…well…options. Just about anything you can click on inside of OS X can be Option clicked to open up a world of new features and abilities. You could click around OS X and find all of these for yourself, but below are the top 21 Option click commands available, so no hunting necessary.

*** FileMaker Pro 13 ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428572,00.asp>
Samara Lynn, PC Magazine

> FileMaker always delivers a beautiful aesthetic to database design, and now the new features lend tighter security and the ability to create uber web-friendly custom apps. My one issue is that there seems to be little concern with supporting Android and Windows Phone, although the ease with which you can create apps that run directly in a Web browser bypasses many OS compatibility issues.

*** iA's Writer Pro Maximizes The Minimalist Text Editor ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/5222948/ia-writer-pro>
Sam Byford, The Verge

> The basic experience is much the same as Writer, but there are three additional modes designed to be used in sequential order — Note is the first, then Edit and Read follow the Write mode.

*** Apple Fixes VPN Connection Issue With Mavericks Server Update ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/19/apple-fixes-vpn-connection-issue-with-mavericks-server-update->
AppleInsider

> The VPN Update for Mavericks Server resolves a problem involving the refusal of L2TP connections to OS X Server's VPN service.

*** Users Reporting Widespread GPU Issues With 2011 MacBook Pros ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14385?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Apple Releases EFI Firmware Update V2.0 For The New Mac Pro ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2082220/apple-releases-efi-firmware-update-v2-0-for-the-new-mac-pro.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

> According to Apple, the update “improves system reliability during reboot, resolves an issue with memory self-test, and improves graphics power management when using Boot Camp.”

*** Veedeo For iPhone Allows You To Create And Share Custom Video Clips With Animated Text, Music, And Effects ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/19/veedeo-for-iphone-allows-you-to-create-and-share-custom-video-clips-with-animated-text-music-and-effects/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Shazam For iPhone Gets Auto Tagging, Tag Songs While Your Phone’s Locked ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2013/12/19/shazam-iphone-gets-updated-auto-tagging/>
Toby Wellington, Macgasm

*** IMDb iOS App Gets iOS 7 Redesign, Improved Navigation & Filters, Oscars Section, More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/19/imdb-ios-app-gets-ios-7-redesign-improved-navigation-filters-oscars-section-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Logic Pro X Gets Updated, Adds New Drummers, New EQ Plugin Interface, More ***
<http://www.imore.com/logic-pro-x-gets-updated-adds-new-drummers-new-eq-plugin-interface-more>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** The New Mac Pro: First Look And Hands On ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2082041/the-new-mac-pro-first-look-and-hands-on.html>
Dan Frakes and Jason Snell, Macworld

*** Up Close And Personal With The New Mac Pro (Hands-on) ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/19/5227466/the-new-mac-pro-2013-hands-on>
David Pierce, The Verge

> It cuts a striking figure, despite its relatively small stature. It's also incredibly dense, far heavier than I expected.

*** Apple Starts Selling Black Thunderbolt Cables Alongside New Mac Pro ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2013/12/19/apple-starts-selling-black-thunderbolt-cables-alongside-new-mac-pro/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Wait Continues: Mac Pro Ship Dates Have Already Slipped To February ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/12/the-wait-continues-mac-pro-ship-dates-have-already-slipped-to-february/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> While Apple technically kept Cook's promise, it looks like just a few lucky buyers will actually see their workstations on their doorsteps this year: the new Mac Pro was initially shipping to buyers on December 30th, but just a few hours after appearing in Apple's online store, the ship times have slipped to a more distant and nebulous "February."

*** 13 Lessons From 3 Years On The App Store ***
<http://blog.tinyhearts.com/post/70514035960/13-lessons-from-3-years-on-the-app-store>
Tiny Hearts

*** AirServer Update Lets You Record, Save Video From Your iOS Device ***
<http://www.imore.com/airserver-update-lets-you-record-save-video-your-ios-device>
Joseph Keller, iMore

*** Book Review: ‘Hatching Twitter’ By Nick Bilton ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/book-review-hatching-twitter-by-nick-bilton/2013/12/19/50bd594a-5609-11e3-8304-caf30787c0a9_story.html>
Tim Wu, Washington Post